Orca Outreach Fund

Don't forget your special secret Decoder Ring
ROFLMAO.gif

All talk no action is your nickname my friend. Years ago that wasn't so. Its too bad.

Last edited:
Sad to see two good forum member's obviously on the same side
"going at it".
Realizing we all have different views on the subject, we should keep in mind
the common goal.

I was going to clean up this thread but I find myself wanting to leave it as is because of Scott's post above. This sums everything up nicely. Members of this forum and the sport fishing community at large have been looking for a group to put their financial support and/or volunteer sweat into for years. This may just be the start of exactly that and we need to be patient as it grows, supportive in any way possible and offer solutions, not fight past battles in whatever form they take. Time to drop the negativity, sarcasm, and general personal differences here. While we are at it, let's keep the finger pointing and blame game out of this thread as well. Most everyone here is aware of the shortcomings of past and present governments when it comes to managing the various fisheries on our coast, so let's not clutter this thread with the same old lament about the past and instead discuss what we can collectively do about it moving forward.

Brian

Time and effort should be used sharing it. I have shared it to these locations awhile ago but I got a lot of flack and push back and even some nasty personal comments. If one of better spokespersons on here could share it or talk to the people running the pages that would be good. Just between these pages they have over 10k members most intimately involved in sports fishing. Under 100 people have donated to this go fund me so far.

Vancouver Island Salmon Fishing
9,624 Members

https://www.facebook.com/groups/122351524580745/

Vancouver salmon fishing
856 Members

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444954332476079/

hard core salmon fishing
7,061 Members

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hcsf1/

Then their is also all the guide facebook pages and store facebook pages. Perhaps SFI can ask thoes business or their members to also share it and talk about the importance of the issues and go fund me page.

Yes good point, we have a steering group that will be meeting this week to talk about ways to update our social media plans, so thanks for those tips - FYI, we have had tremendous support from a number of stores and guides who have contributed along with regular concerned rec anglers who simply want to ensure that we do our best to promote the value of the recreational fishery.

The rec fishery has a lot of detractors who would love nothing more than to see the entire coast closed to fishing. They care not about the tremendous social and economic impact those types of actions would have, especially in small coastal communities that rely heavily on the recreational fishery.

So our continuing plan is to update our social media messages, and to work with the BC Chamber, SFI and WCFGA to reach out to business leaders in local communities to help better inform those folks about the value of the rec fishery and hopefully have them stand up for us as Third Party Endorsers. We need friends in the business community and public at large to stand up for protecting SRKW, Chinook and the recreational fishery.

In addition to that, people need to also see the significant economic benefits of other fisheries such as FN and Commercial fishers - they are the fabric of thriving coastal communities.

We are also participating in DFO's Technical Working Group process to ensure that the rec fishery is well represented. This involves a lot of heavy lifting and preparation by all those involved. Additionally, the funds we are raising will help pay for expenses incurred in attending these meetings - there is no DFO funding for the rec sector to attend. Travel expenses to meetings in Vancouver appear to be the responsibility of participants representing their sectors.

Without the financial support people have provided the rec sector would be hard pressed to establish a social media presence, and cover the cost of attending these meetings. We are very fortunate to have strong support coming from individuals, stores, businesses and guides...thank you!

Thank you for the feedback, good team of people trying hard to get this up and running. Our main concern is to see that correct facts are getting out there, and that we tell the public about the value the rec fishery brings to Canada. Too easy for some to say the quick solution is to close every fishery down - those people apparently do not understand the consequences of that sort of action and how little it would actually do to recover SRKW. Not to mention, there is no actual recovery goal on a population that has never numbered more than 98 in several centuries. We have NRKW that now out number historic levels, and yet they too are listed as "threatened." A lot can be done to give SRKW every chance to thrive, while also ensuring the recreational, commercial and FN fisheries also thrive.

Thanks all for your support and encouragement. The WCFGA and SFI strongly believe in the social and economic contributions the recreational fishery has made to Canada's heritage. We hope to build stronger Third Party Endorsements from a well informed public and community leadership.

This is excellent. Thank you for all your hard work. Emphasizing the value the rec fishery and the point you bring u about how some still think the quick solution is to close every fishery down are excellent points. Your suggestion that the public needs to understand the consequences of closing fishing and how little it would actually do to assist in any recover of SRKW, are also excellent points. Although I have seen some reference to it , I think there needs to be more education on the sites as to what the actual numbers of Chinook ( percentage) are taken by us. I recall seeing figures like 4% for us vs 40% taken by pinnipeds. If the public knew our Chinook take was so little .....but still with such a huge value to the BC economy, I think it might start to sink in. The value has even MORE value when it takes so little.

Edit - THANKS TO HC !

Do you have an address for mailing a cheque to and if so who do I make it out to?

This is excellent. Thank you for all your hard work. Emphasizing the value the rec fishery and the point you bring u about how some still think the quick solution is to close every fishery down are excellent points. Your suggestion that the public needs to understand the consequences of closing fishing and how little it would actually do to assist in any recover of SRKW, are also excellent points. Although I have seen some reference to it , I think there needs to be more education on the sites as to what the actual numbers of Chinook ( percentage) are taken by us. I recall seeing figures like 4% for us vs 40% taken by pinnipeds. If the public knew our Chinook take was so little .....but still with such a huge value to the BC economy, I think it might start to sink in. The value has even MORE value when it takes so little.

Edit - THANKS TO HC !
Here's a number to toss at you. If we closed down the Victoria marine fishery that would result in saving a grand total of 6632 Fraser Chinook. Assuming that the SRKW could actually find and then eat every single one (very unlikely), that is enough fish to feed a population of 82 SRKW for only 7 days. How would that action result in a viable recovery strategy that saves SRKW? Emotion at play, not science.

Here's a number to toss at you. If we closed down the Victoria marine fishery that would result in saving a grand total of 6632 Fraser Chinook. Assuming that the SRKW could actually find and then eat every single one (very unlikely), that is enough fish to feed a population of 82 SRKW for only 7 days. How would that action result in a viable recovery strategy that saves SRKW? Emotion at play, not science.

AND... despite those 6632 Fraser Chinook being taken by the fishery there is still a sufficient amount of Chinook [food supply] coming through Juan de Fuca to support the SRKW ( this according to a panel of international scientists including Andrew Trites) as mentioned at the presentation that PSF hosted with Andrew Trites and Brian Riddell on Nov 9th ) SEE 18:25 min to 21:00 min

In fact Trites goes on to say that they agreed that stopping marine recreational fishing in BC would not help provide more Chinook to SRKW. THIS FOR ME IS KEY INFORMATION TO GET OUT to the public. This was not just Trites but an international panel of scientists, including Trites. Apparently it was taken to DFO and its how DFO acts with that info that could be the issue. Trites actually has mentioned in presentations for the last year that SRKW aren't even starving. I have 3 clips from 3 different interviews/presenatations where he states this.

Last edited:
We will be the guest speakers at the Ucluelet Chamber of Commerce business meeting on Thursday Feb 21 at 6:30 p.m. at the Ucluelet Community Center. Arranging further speaking engagements to help engage community and business leaders about the value of Canada's Public Fishery, asking them to become Third Party Endorsers who will speak out about preserving the Public Fishery. We (SFI and WCFGA) also have developed and printed a brochure with facts about the Public Fishery - we handed out brochures to each and every exhibitor at the Vancouver Boat Show, and will be doing the same at the Victoria Boat Show. More out-reach activities planned, and we will be working to build a broader long-term war plan. Yes, this is a war. Canada's Public Fishery is under attack.

The green ENGO groups might have us backed onto the beaches like the German's who backed the Allies onto the beaches of Dunkirk...but we are gathering resources and developing battle plans to fight back.

People ask...what can I do to help? Besides contributing to building the financial resources we will need to keep building the fight, a simple thing everyone can do for NO cost is use your social media to get the word out about the value of our Public Fishery. Tell your story, let people know what our fishery means to you and your families on Family Day. Create a movement! We need more and more Third Party Endorsers who will speak out about the importance of the Public Fishery to Canada, and the difference it makes in all of our lives. Fight back! Some ideas on what you might include:

As stewards of the Public Fishery its important to understand the environment we are working within. Looking over the horizon, we have competing interests and multiple challenges at play and a need to find a reasonable balance. That is difficult in an environment where we face a number of key challenges such as:

o Impacts of Climate Change on salmon abundance – shift in both fresh water and ocean conditions impacting especially S-1 Stream-Type Chinook

o Impacts of predation on out-migrant smolts

o Competition for prey species important to Chinook – herring, crab, krill

o A Reconciliation agenda & demands against an Allocation Policy

o Prospects of a COSEWIC listing for a number of Chinook Stocks and more proscriptive management measures

o ENGO groups who see the solution as simply closing down recreational and commercial fishing

o A public and community leadership that is not fully aware of the social and economic impacts on small coastal communities – we have de-valued the recreational fishery

o An environment where decisions are more likely to be driven by political agendas that invoke the precautionary principle without fully considering the fall out

Quite simply our recreational fishery is at a cross roads – The recent Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures and options creates a noxious environment for the future success of the recreational fishery

2 Conditions must exist for the Rec Fishery to thrive – “Opportunity and Expectation of catch. Without those, people who would pay the economic cost of entry into the fishery – will simply make other decisions where they spend their discretionary dollars – remember, these are discretionary $

Management measures that chip away at expectation of catch, and opportunity to pursue fish translate into individual consumer decisions – quite simply like electricity – money will go the path of least resistance.

Data from BC Stats report on BC’s Fisheries and Aquaculture Sectors (Nov 2018):

o Real GDP associated with sport fishing activities increased for a fifth straight year, rising 5.8% to $389.8 million in 2016.

o Sport fishing was the largest industry in the fisheries and aquaculture sector, accounting for 39% of the sector’s total GDP, and employing 60% of the workers in this sector.

o An estimated 9,000 people were employed by the sport fishing industry in 2016, slightly less (-1.1%) than in the previous year.

o Wages and salaries earned by employees in the sport fishing industry rose 5.8% to $236.5 million in 2016.

o Sport fishing revenues were estimated at $1.1 billion in 2016, up 6.7% over the 2015 value.

Ø Canada’s rec fishery value is worth protecting – the fishery has significant value

Ø We have a responsibility to carefully manage our fishery to protect Economic and Social Benefits

Ø 9000 people employed – these are real jobs, real families, and tremendous uncertainty over their futures

Ø Allocation Policy – responsibility to max benefits for Canada

Ø Balance between protecting Chinook stocks of concern, while also protecting associated social and economic values

Back