Orca Food Security Program - A Proposal for Practical Solutions

Whole in the Water

Thought this was important enough to post here as well to increase visibility. Mucho kudo's to Chris Bos for all the hard work on putting this together. Now we need to press sponsors and the Govt. to act on it!

If you ever thought a ongoing SVIAC membership was worth it - here's some proof.

(see attached document below for the proposal.)

We are all concerned about the condition of our endangered Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKWs) and how the low abundance of Chinook salmon, their preferred food, is hindering recovery. Closing salmon fisheries is not the solution to saving SRKWs nor increasing Chinook abundance. If government does go ahead with fishing closures the socio-economic fallout will be dramatic for First Nations and many people in BC, especially those in small coastal communities. Since the federal government's October 2017 Orca Symposium in Vancouver, we have been waiting for an announcement about tangible Chinook enhancement actions that will benefit the SRKWs, maintain important salmon fisheries and protect the small coastal communities that rely on them. Sadly nothing meaningful has emerged. It is simple, we must produce more Chinook salmon and fast! For that reason, it is important that 'we, the people' lead the way and offer government viable solutions.

Working collaboratively with Brian D. Tutty and Bob Cole, I have prepared a recommendation paper "The Orca Food Security Program" a strategic Chinook enhancement initiative. The recommendation paper's summary document and supporting appendix 2 - "Sooke Chinook Enhancement Initiative" are attached for you to read. (Appendix: 3 - "Omega Pacific Hatchery Chinook Enhancement Initiatives Supporting Orca Food Sustainability" will be shortly). The documents describe a bold and innovative intervention strategy designed specifically to address the abundance of Chinook in the short and medium term while our wild Chinook salmon are restored.

I offer "The Orca Food Security Program - Recommendation Paper (summary document)" to you and hope you support the strategies and approaches described. It is designed to bring us together and work cooperatively on a noble cause that has broad benefits. In the coming days more information on how you can share you support and help move this bold plan forward will be made available.

Yours in conservation,

Chris
(778) 426-4141
chris@anglerscoalition.com

Attachments

• Orca Food Security Program - Summary Document - January 9 2019 7.30pm FINAL.pdf
    988.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I just gave this a quick read through.

It is extremely clear, specific to a goal and fundemental based on evidence and knowledge. The line that jumped out to me the clearest is, "It is unnecessary to close most of the First Nations and BC's public fisheries and diminish BC's Super Natural tourism industry if these Recommendations are fully implemented".

Thank you for sharing.

Back