Optimax

King_Cod

Anyone running a 2 stroke Merc oil injected? If you are where do you get your 2 smoke oil and how much does it cost per liter in bulk?

Reel Chaos

Was always told to use "mercury" opti oil. Something to do with additives, low ash etc etc. I buy it at the merc dealer in vic around 40bucks a gal
cheers

optimax-big.jpg

JUST FISHEN'

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

Was always told to use "mercury" opti oil. Something to do with additives, low ash etc etc. I buy it at the merc dealer in vic around 40bucks a gal
cheers

optimax-big.jpg

JUST FISHEN'

Which Merc dealer sells it for that price?In Nanaimo and Port Alberni the dealers want about $55 a jug.I'm coming down to Vic to work for a couple of weeks and at that price I'll stock up while I'm down there.
Dave

Most inexpensive I have found yet is the premium in bulk at LA marine in Port Alberni @ $6 a liter. It is $9 a liter here in Campbell River.

Reel Chaos

Walmart Castrol 2 stroke TC3 . 4 bucks a litre. I have a older OPTI (2001 225) and have experimented with a few. Most non mercury oils burn smokier , but I find the plugs last longer and don't foul as much. If you have a newer opti you need to use opti oil for warranty issues.

On another Opti issue. The best upgrade on older optis that I know of is new Boyesen reeds. Easy to do yourself and gives you buckets of extra power.

quote:Originally posted by vetteman

cheers

JUST FISHEN'

Which Merc dealer sells it for that price?In Nanaimo and Port Alberni the dealers want about $55 a jug.I'm coming down to Vic to work for a couple of weeks and at that price I'll stock up while I'm down there.
Dave

Jeezz - Oil is only at $76 a barrel! And they get $55 a gal. for this?

And you guys wonder why some of us run 4 stroke I/O's.

A Volvo dealer in CR was selling 20W-50W oil - I think it was like $8 a litre or something. I bought one and read the specs on the SAE sticker - bought the same quality oil at a parts place for less than $3 a litre. And yes, it was name brand stuff, not some no-name cheap oil.

I don't mind paying a bit more at a place where I get good service, but when the markup is more than twice what I can get the same thing for across the street, then no, I'm not going to pay it. Sorry, but dealers need to adjust their prices if they want my business.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

quote:Originally posted by vetteman

cheers

JUST FISHEN'

Dave

Jeezz - Oil is only at $76 a barrel! And they get $55 a gal. for this?

And you guys wonder why some of us run 4 stroke I/O's.

A Volvo dealer in CR was selling 20W-50W oil - I think it was like $8 a litre or something. I bought one and read the specs on the SAE sticker - bought the same quality oil at a parts place for less than $3 a litre. And yes, it was name brand stuff, not some no-name cheap oil.

I don't mind paying a bit more at a place where I get good service, but when the markup is more than twice what I can get the same thing for across the street, then no, I'm not going to pay it. Sorry, but dealers need to adjust their prices if they want my business.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250
2 strokes may burn that expensive oil (bulk from your Merc dealer cheapest) but 4 strokes have to change their oil every 100 hours and responsibly discarding the oil.

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Walmart Castrol 2 stroke TC3 . 4 bucks a litre. I have a older OPTI (2001 225) and have experimented with a few. Most non mercury oils burn smokier , but I find the plugs last longer and don't foul as much. If you have a newer opti you need to use opti oil for warranty issues.

On another Opti issue. The best upgrade on older optis that I know of is new Boyesen reeds. Easy to do yourself and gives you buckets of extra power.

I have done some reading on the TC3 oil brands at Walmart. A lot of discussions on web boards about different brand names used and how the engines run as good or better with different brand name oils.

Tohatsu outboard DFI engines list several oils that will work for their two strokes. http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/tldi_faqs.html#Q11

Unfortunately Mercury will not do the same :(

Reel Chaos

last year i burned up 40 litres of that bulk stuff from a merc dealer, paid $7.50 a liter. $300.00
i used about 400 liters of fuel for approx 5 litres of oil.
opti 115

Run a carbed 2 stroke 200 Yami, buy the OMC TCW3 from SG for about $22.00 a gal...I go through about 10-12 gal a season.

Back