Optima Blue top AGM battery

CIVANO

I get mixed responses on whether I can use this battery with Yamaha F250 4 stroke. Anyone using them or know the answer?

I get mixed responses on whether I can use this battery with Yamaha F250 4 stroke. Anyone using them or know the answer?
I have one for my battery #2 on my boat. I run one battery at a time and alternate each trip out. I am starting a 2003 Optimax 200 with the battery and it is never a problem, even though the 200 Optimax requires a strong starting battery. My battery is at least 8 years old and still going.
...Rob

Optima says a Blue Top "M" series can be used in marine applications. The issue is charging an AGM battery with a charger not made to charge an AGM battery (your Yamaha). Here is their link on how to charge these batteries:
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/charging/charging-tips

When a battery is fully charged, a proper charger senses this & reduces both the charging voltage & charging current so as not to "cook" your battery, leading to early failure. AGM batteries are much more prone to cooking versus the standard lead acid battery.
It is likely that an Optima M series battery has a plate thickness somewhere between a dedicated starting battery and a dedicated deep cycle battery, and as such can supply high current for starting & deeper discharge to deep cycle loads with the same battery. Most likely it will still suffer from cooking. 8 years as posyed above is a great life, but he has 2; a spare if 1 dies on the water. You could wait a couple years, buy another one, alternate them as above - that way being different ages they are less likely to fail on the same trip out.

Back