Opinions wanted on a new 2019 115 Etec

CMXValley

Looking for some thoughts on the following:

A friend is looking to re-power a 18ft aluminum CC boat. He has just started looking and checked out a new 2019 Etec 115.

Can anyone speak from experience with using one of these engines and share your thoughts? I’ve heard Bombardier may have stopped making them.

Can you troll with one of these?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A couple benefits of a kicker you might be overlooking:

-saves countless hours put on main engine
-offers a layer of safety if main fails

Bombardier has announced they will stop making them.
I am in the process of having 2 300 E-tec's put on. The shop owner has 250's on his boat.

They are great for trolling. They have a unique combustion process below around 1500 RPM that is a super-lean combustion process; no smoke, no plug fouling. Lowest EPA emissions of any O/B.
The electronic controls have a mode where RPM can be adjusted in 50 RPM increments. You will probably get close to 20 MPG when trolling; my 300's get about 10 on 1 engine.
Evinrude publishes Performance Bulletins detailing test of their engines on various boats.

I’d be worried about service and repair locations. For me they are already limited in locations near me and who knows what happens in a year or 2. I want people who know the engine they are working on every year that goes by that pool of people gets smaller and smaller when a company isn’t around anymore. Just my 2 cents.

I've got tons of parts and will be continuing evinrude service rebuilding and maintenance until I decide to close my shop. Probky get a smoking deal right now and BRP is going to honor their warranties. The G1 engines were the best they ever did. Sad to see them be a thing of the past.

run the other way. even if you think parts will be available forever the prices will drop to zero and no one will buy them.
a boat with that hung on its transom will be considered worthless.

run the other way. even if you think parts will be available forever the prices will drop to zero and no one will buy them.
a boat with that hung on its transom will be considered worthless.

This must be a ploy to devalue Evinrudes so that you can buy one. Otherwise that's just over-the-top exaggeration.

I personally thing the ETECs are great. I haven't trolled on one but I've read that they're good for it and very fuel efficient. I agree with @kevind about being mindful for service locations local to you and your boating area.

I just sold my boat with a 115 etec that I bought new 2017 it never missed a beat and I trolled on it for hours without any issues. It was smooth quiet and great on fuel and oil.

From what I understand it is the motors that are going, not the company. Will this be a situation similar to other O/B mfgr's who discontinue certain models but still offer service.parts - happens every 5 years or so right?

From what I understand it is the motors that are going, not the company. Will this be a situation similar to other O/B mfgr's who discontinue certain models but still offer service.parts - happens every 5 years or so right?

There maybe parts but the service centers work hand in hand with outboard sales. No evinrude dealers so what happens with the service? Do you go to a mercury service center or yamaha? Will they be the best to service an etec? Lots of questions in my mind especially when it comes to warranty work that would question my decision to buy an etec now.

You guys have to understand something here. These guys invented the outboard. 2009 was their 100th year of being an outboard motor company. There are so many engines out there still running that date all the way back to that date. i have one here in my shop 1916 that is hand made from Bronze. Now enough is enough. They deserve respect. they have invented the damn thing, they had the very first computer controlled engine in the marine industry, they have always been ahead of the curve. They invented lost foam casting. Which is now widely used in automotive, marine, industrial, you name it.

The Evinrude dealers are still going to be parts and service. BRP will continue to make parts. The G1 etec engine was the best one they ever made. They will be running for a long time. They are rebuildable and ecominical machines.

You guys have to understand something here. These guys invented the outboard. 2009 was their 100th year of being an outboard motor company. There are so many engines out there still running that date all the way back to that date. i have one here in my shop 1916 that is hand made from Bronze. Now enough is enough. They deserve respect. they have invented the damn thing, they had the very first computer controlled engine in the marine industry, they have always been ahead of the curve. They invented lost foam casting. Which is now widely used in automotive, marine, industrial, you name it.

The Evinrude dealers are still going to be parts and service. BRP will continue to make parts. The G1 etec engine was the best one they ever made. They will be running for a long time. They are rebuildable and ecominical machines.
I like to hear that from a dealer!! I love the motor and am disappointed they will not be produced moving forward!

Why will there be Evinrude dealers still? Nothing to sell.

it doesnt matter how well the engines were built and how they will last forever etc etc. Datsun cars were built well and lots of them are probably happily alive in some enthusiasts garage. There might even be some dealers/mechanics exclusively selling/servicing Datsuns or whatever random cars that are long since out of production or dead.
You wont be able to sell one though and the most you can get if you try will be parts value.
So yes if you are going to use that boat forever until the engine dies, Go Team Etec !!! If you arent and plan to sell it at some point, just buy a Yamaha or Mercury and get the most $$$ for your resale value by avoiding evinrudes like the plague. An out of manufacture two stroke like a johnson or evinrude is basically worthless in the resale market. Just try and sell your Johnson two stroke outboard today and see how many offers you get. That is what is going to happen a year down the road to the evinrudes.

it doesnt matter how well the engines were built and how they will last forever etc etc. Datsun cars were built well and lots of them are probably happily alive in some enthusiasts garage. There might even be some dealers/mechanics exclusively selling/servicing Datsuns or whatever random cars that are long since out of production or dead.
You wont be able to sell one though and the most you can get if you try will be parts value.
So yes if you are going to use that boat forever until the engine dies, Go Team Etec !!! If you arent and plan to sell it at some point, just buy a Yamaha or Mercury and get the most $$$ for your resale value by avoiding evinrudes like the plague. An out of manufacture two stroke like a johnson or evinrude is basically worthless in the resale market. Just try and sell your Johnson two stroke outboard today and see how many offers you get. That is what is going to happen a year down the road to the evinrudes.

Easy cowboy, the value of the Etecs have not gone down at all. Maybe some big dealers will unload but thats it. Thats a different conversation. If I had a chance to buy the last generation G1 with warranty I would be all over it. But like anything in this industry I tell guys up the island hey go buy a yamaha, theres more service up there, for example. If you have good knowledgable service and readily available parts around then thats what you want. Regardless of brand names. If its built by a human it will break eventually. We have fixed, repaired, rebuilt so many engines over the years all makes. The Evinrude engines have been a staple to the industry and a very sad time. But were lucky we had so many options at all really. Its all cool stuff. I always thought its amazing and of this crap works at all! lol

No one here has even mentioned prices.

If the Evinrude is $1000 cheaper than the Yamaha, I wouldn’t even consider it for a second.
But if the etec is less than half price of the yamaha, some may consider it worth the risk.

Personally for me no amount of discount is worth the risk. I can’t even recall how many stories I have heard people say “My Evinrude has been in the shop for 6 months they can’t figure out what is wrong with it.” And that will continue to get worse as there is fewer and fewer techs are trained to work on these units.

The dealer network on the west coast has been not very good at all, never has. Not enough talent in the industry. If your on the mainland theres me and theres Doug over at Lordship. Doug is a stellar mechanic. I would recommend him to anyone. We both have parts with a large used parts mecca. If your on the island your pretty skinny. Paul retired at PY years ago and sold it, then it closed its doors recently after the overseas owner deciced to for whatever reason. up the island you got a few dealers but not sure what talent they have there. Probly better off going Suzuki or yamaha on the island. However there could be some talent there. For all of you running Etecs and need anything were here and not going anywhere, so is Lordship.

Back