Opinions on 115hp Yamaha V4

chris73

Just would like to hear your opinions on the following deal:

1993 Yamaha 115hp, 2 stroke, V4, low hours, one owner (credible owner), well maintained, incl. controls $2999,

It's for a 17.5' campion, currently with a 70hp Johnson 1979. for fishing and occasional playing on lakes.

Does that sound like an "incredible" deal I shouldn't pass? Or is this just another old stinker that I could pick up for this anytime anyway...? Thirsty? Reliable?

Chris it's a 17 year old motor if yours is running good save your pennies for a newer 4stroke.

If SG will give you some kind of a warranty, go for it. A big improvement over a 1979 70HP Johnson. Will push the boat well for sking, were a good reliable engine. Should get a minimum 1000 trouble free hrs. Check compression before hand and also have it checked for piston drop. (wrist pin wear) It is not uncommon in engines that weren't propped correctly. If your an occasional boater then 3K is a lot better than the 4 stroke outlay.

Give him a low ball offer, and pay no more than 2k.

Yup, it's that one at SG. My old 70 still runs reasonably well but after 31 years one would assume it could kick the bucket any day. So I am starting to look around as I rather put something newer on according to my schedule than have it die in the middle of my season and with me being desperate to buy anything that is then available. Unfortunately a new 90hp Yamaha 4stroke which would be on top of my wishlist is probably out of my price range for a number of years. So I got used to the idea shopping for something reliable, good but used. What I am worried with this 115 Yamaha is that it might be overkill in power for the usual purpose of running to close fishing grounds - so useless extra weight and lower fuel economy for little benefit - and the fact that it is 17 years old. It must have sat for quite some time with 200+ hours in 17 years and I know that sitting dry for longer periods of time is not good for any motor.

Hey Chris I had a 130 Yamaha 2 stroke of around that vintage on my old 17.5 Double Eagle. It was a great motor, very reliable, never had an issue with it.
When I sold the boat 3 years ago it only had 200 hours on it.
Is the re and re extra? They might clip you there.
I know its not a 115 but It sure was a good piece.
Dan

Chris, I has a 1989 115 on my 17 Double Eagle. (bought them both new from SG) Great engine, smooth for a 2 stroke, quiet, and good on fuel. I think I burned 6 gallons an hour at over 30 mph. I would ask Ken (the SG mechanic) about the engine. Tell him you know me. I trust Kens opinion. He is the only guy I let work on my stuff when I can't cope myself. He's straight up and will let you know if there are any hidden issues.

Thanks profisher. I will talk to Ken.
Would you recommend having the motor and controls installed by SG or should I do it myself. I am relatively handy and can organize an engine hoist. But I wouldn't want to waste my time for $300 if that was all it was (not sure what they typically charge). But then again, I have never installed a main outboard and don't know if there are any tricky things associated with it.

X2 chris if you are serious about it talk to ken he's the man for sure.

have you checked there camp returns out they can have some good deals on them.

I think you may have to fill the old holes and drill new ones in transom...not 100% sure on that one. At very least Sika flex the holes and bolts. Fishing the control cables and main harness forward can be a *****, usually good for some 4 letter entertainment for the neighbors. Gauges will have to be mounted in dash, which means a big hole saw and a 1/2 drill. If it were me...for $300, let them do it. If anything gets messed up, they have to fix it. Have them lift the old 79 into your truck and sell $300 worth of parts off of it and call it even.

Yeah, I asked about the camp returns but they are pretty much all gone by now and the next batch wont be until Nov. This is probably the worst time to shop for a used outboard. The $300 was just a fictive number I picked. I think it was more like $1000 for install if I remember right. I will talk to Ken tomorrow and if it checks out I will offer them $2500 minus $500 for my old plus $150 or so to do the swap without the control and cable install. See how desperate they are. If not then I will try to make another full season on the good ol Johnson.

SG charged me $600.00 4 years ago to remove old motor and hang the new one if that helps ballpark the price.

Hey Chris if you didn't grab that motor yet there's a 70hrs four stroke zuke on used vic for 3000 grand might be worth a look.

Yeah, I saw that Suki too but if I put another motor on I want to go a tad bigger than my current 70 hp - especially if going to a four stroke. BTW, I did not further pursue the 115 Yammi. It's in good condition as Ken attested but I'd rather wait for a more fitting 90hp - four or newer 2 stroke. Sooner or later something will come up. Right now there is not much on the market. Appreciate that you guys keep an eye open with me in mind!

Hey Chris,

I have a few options that may be of interest to you.

90hp yamaha 4 stroke 2007 $5000.00
70hp yamaha 4 stroke 2007 $5000.00
115hp yahaha 4 stroke 2008 $6000.00
90hp johnson 2 stroke 1996 $5000.00 (0 hours on rebuild)

No props or controls included but you can haggle a bit

pm me if you want and info on them

boat-2.jpg

Back