Opinion on handheld VHF

BCROB

so many brands , all claiming to be #1 on the market
Looking for input or suggestions on units your familiar with or would recommend and or brands that you would maybe avoid

I picked up a Standard Horizon HX870 unit at the significant boat show discount price a couple of years or so back. It was $329. rather than $445.00. Like most electronics it may have got cheaper since then and there may be newer models available.

What I like most about it is:

that it floats and is water proof.

transmit at 6 watts rather than 5 watts which was more common at the time. can also be set to two watts.

has a full built in integrated 66 Channel WAAS GPS Receiver with full DSC and distress calling. so if you are in the water and your hands are so cold you can't work it, all you have to do is lift the little red cover and hit the Distress call button which will declare the emergency for you and send your GPS location to the coast guard and others.

you can also do basic gps navigation with it in a pinch.

built in water activated strobe light so they see you easier in fog or at night and draws attention even in daylight.

Lots of other good features on it.

Last edited:
I picked up a Standard Horizon HX870 unit at the significant boat show discount price a couple of years or so back. It was $329. rather than $445.00. Like most electronics it may have got cheaper since then and there may be newer models available.

What I like most about is:

that it floats and is water proof.

transmit at 6 watts rather than 5 watts which was more common at the time. can also be set to two watts.

has a full built in integrated 66 Channel WAAS GPS Receiver with full DSC and distress calling. so if you are in the water and your hands are so cold you can't work it, all you have to do is lift the little red cover and hit the Distress call button which will declare the emergency for you and send your GPS location to the coast guard and others.

you can also do basic gps navigation with it in a pinch.

built in water activated strobe light so they see you easier in fog or at night and draws attention even in daylight.

Lots of other good features on it.

Thanks for your reply , appreciate the info

I just bought the HX870 from Stevenston Marine n Hardware. Havent used it yet, but it has solid reviews. On the larger side is the only negitive I found.

Its $315 with a $40 mail in rebate sale ending soonish. Make sure to call ahead I bought the last one in stock a couple weeks ago.

The case does have some size to it at 2.44 x 5.43 x 1.69 inches, which may have to do with the rather large Li-ion battery.
I forgot to mention it comes with two chargers so you can charge it at home on 12o and in the car or boat on 12 volt.

Thanks guys , it gets some great reviews for sure
I see it on Amazon.ca for $300 and locally here in town for $349

I too have an HX851 and it’s been great.

Call Ken at Roton Marine on Granville Island, he tends to beat all deals out there.

I have an hx870. When I bought mine it was under 300.00, and bought it locally at Trotac down in Victoria. Its a good radio everything you want for a backup.

I’ve got a Standard Horizon 851 and an ICOM M73. The DSC feature on the SH is great and it’s used for my ditch bag. But for communications the ICOM can communicate longer distances. I used to have SH fixed mount and now have an ICOM fixed mount in my boat. The ICOM communicates longer distances than my old SH. My personal conclusion , ICOM overall is better.

I’ve got a Standard Horizon 851 and an ICOM M73. The DSC feature on the SH is great and it’s used for my ditch bag. But for communications the ICOM can communicate longer distances. I used to have SH fixed mount and now have an ICOM fixed mount in my boat. The ICOM communicates longer distances than my old SH. My personal conclusion , ICOM overall is better.

thanks for the info , appreciate it

I have a HX751 and it has been great. I've had it since 2012 and the battery still holds well. I suggest getting a model that floats.

I have the HX870. I really like it. Standard Horizon is good quality. I like the idea of a handheld in case of having to evacuate immediately from my boat. Totally waterproof, it DOES float. I keep it clipped on my PFD while operating my boat so I don't have to look for it in a hurry

Back