Opening Day Pike Action In Alberta.

walleyes

Crew Member
One of our favorite early season Pike spots. As usual it did not disappoint. Chucking top water baits and spinner baits on the surface in 3 - 4 feet of water. We put in a 17hr day and boated close to 100 Pike with maybe 10 in the 14-18# range and 4 between 20 - 22#.

Enjoy.

image.jpg1_zpsoxlaeayc.jpg

image.jpg5_zps74zrixkl.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsaaaya7nk.jpg

image.jpg4_zpshe6cft4l.jpg

image.jpg2_zps6kdljcng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome! call me crazy but I prefer the taste of a small pike (4 to 6 lbs) over walleye... hard to beat walleye though. they're both pretty good.

None of these big hens were kept, not a chance. Not only are they poor eating at this size but we have fought many years to get this lake in this kind of shape it's only the few that abuse it. Smaller pike out of cold water aren't bad eating at all. I prefer walleye over any fish but that's my personal preference many do like pike better.

I hear you there. We always put the big pikes back and well ok the smaller ones to for me they are just a fun challenge to trick them into hitting a piece of wood or plastic or metal. By far for me Walleye is thee Best and I had a habit of walleye and eggs in the morning before a day of fishing. ; )
Many more awesome days ahead
Jim

124.jpg Nice pics. Heres one of mine. Luv fishing the slough sharks whenever im out in the Aberta flatlands...

Awesome! One day I'm going to have to get out and target those big spring pike. Thanks for sharing, I think I know the lake... might tell my brother to go check it out since he's looking for a place to go tomorrow but I'm sure the big ones have moved out of the shallows already.

Back