Okuma mooching rod - use as centrepin?

TipUp

I have an okuma celico mooching rod that I was wondering if it can be used as a centrepin rod? It a 10'6" rod with a medium action. Ideally I'd pair it with a an okuma reel. Just trying not to break the bank as I'm just getting into using a centrepin.

I use 10'6"-11' mooching rods for my center pins . Did buy a 11'3" fancy center pin rod years ago and a large steelhead broke it, took it back ( replaced)to have it happen again .:(

I've also used 10' 6" mooching rods with center pins. Give it a whirl, I think it'll be fine but you'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on a good reel to start out with? I've been looking at the Amundson tracker reel for $150

How does a fish break a rod? Generally a rod won't break unless it's bruised, or really old or had a flaw to start with and most manufactures weed out the flawed blanks because flawed rods breaking is bad advertising.

My first steelhead outfit was an old RichMade 10'6" moocher with one of my dads Seldex made by J.W. Young & SON. 3 1/2 in. reel, not a fast retrieve LOL. I progressed to an Avon Royal Supreme on the RichMade, had a lot of fun with that outfit. Now I use a level wind, I want to spend my time fishing not retrieving. But once in a while I have a Silex on an 12' Sage that I break out for some fun. I still have the Avon and it works like the day it was made, I'd sell it for $125.00, if you don't know what they are, look them up, their a solid reel.

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on a good reel to start out with? I've been looking at the Amundson tracker reel for $150
My advice is get an Avon used. It's in your budget or if you want new try the okuma aventa. I've fished one for a season or two when all my nice reels were stolen to get me going again.

I would say the Avon is a nicer / better built reel and probably is going to work better with age as long as it’s been looked after.

I have fished Aventa for salmon and I found it good value for the price but definitely more about fancy appearance than solid functionality. Guess it depends on what your fishing for.

Most mooching rods will work decent for pinning but actual pin rods are usually built with larger eyes on the lower section and a different action so you can load them up and cast light lures good distance.

How does a fish break a rod? Generally a rod won't break unless it's bruised, or really old or had a flaw to start with and most manufactures weed out the flawed blanks because flawed rods breaking is bad advertising.
Brand new trophy XL royale center pin rod I purchased about 10 years ago and should have looked at the reviews ( Break into multiple pieces on medium pressure on fish) which happened to the piece of junk I bought . Caught one or two fish in my lifetime :)

I ended up buying the amundson tracker. At $139 I couldn't beat the price and since I'm just getting into pinning I didn't want a huge investment. The islanders sure are nice though which probably has to due with higher quality bearings used.

Back