Okanagan lake is finally starting to pick up.

I'm trolling 4 " apex at 2.9 - 3.4 mph, is that not fast enough?.

How far are you letting your apex out before you connect to your downrigger (100 ft)?
and how deep are you running your gear (25,30,40,50+ ft?) at in the deeper water?

We are fishing from the Glatley bay marina and most days cross the lake and fish the Mission side.

Any suggestions......

Thanks

X 2. I have caught many 10 lb+ fish trolling the middle of the lake. We hat many of them off of Glatley point but 1/3 -1/2 way out across or in the middle so to speak. 4.5 black/clear apex trolled fast.

I would say you trolling a little quick try 2.5 to 3 max with the apex. As for lead off the downrigger the deeper you go the closer yor can tie it to the rigger I fish a lot of the time with 200 feet out then go down on the rigger, 50 to 60 feet is where I have caug my biggest. I catch fish from the surface down to 140 feet. What's the water temp right now they should be feeding on the surface. I hav found that I catch more bow trolling on the surface back 300 feet then I do on the riggers. A little chop is always better also. Bright days bright lures, dark days dark lures. Make lots of little turns or speed changes,

ive started running the clip-on planer boards as well. the one day, the planer boards outfished the regular 3-1. And ditto for the direction and speed changes. If theres not a lot of people out on the lake, i tend to just BS with whoever im out on the boat with and change direction a lot. zig zag all over the place.

Ya I'm running the big wooden planner boards and they have been working well for me. I will be out on Saturday maybe even Sunday this weekend you guys?

This weekend

Ya I'm running the big wooden planner boards and they have been working well for me. I will be out on Saturday maybe even Sunday this weekend you guys?

Not making the trek to Bamfeild this coming weekend Jordan. We got the beam booked again,,,,,,, Bob

16 guys for fri sat nites. Sean is on the fence from what I gather, and 5 guys leave on Sun so we are down to 10 or 11 sun nite..... Bob

I'm trolling 4 " apex at 2.9 - 3.4 mph, is that not fast enough?.

How far are you letting your apex out before you connect to your downrigger (100 ft)?
and how deep are you running your gear (25,30,40,50+ ft?) at in the deeper water?

We are fishing from the Glatley bay marina and most days cross the lake and fish the Mission side.

Any suggestions......

Thanks

Doug: I should start by saying it has been 9 years since I lived there and as long since fishing the lake.

I used to fish mainly march/ April till may long. I found that after may long the boat trafic got too much for me so I would move up top to the upper lakes. We did fish first 2 weeks of june a fair bit on years wen weather had been cooler.
As far as gear I always ran a bucktail on 1 side and the 4.5 apex on the other. I ran the apex 100-150 feet behind the boat no down rigger and no weight, just naked. The 4.5 has a more slender profile and will stay under the water at a fairly quick troll with no weight at all. The 4 and 5's never seemed to stay down . Most of my fish came fishing right on the surface as mentioned. I would say we got a few more on the bucktail than the apex but the apex always seemed to preform wen nothing else would. Should also mention I fished out of a 12 foot tinny with no electronics for most years then got a fish finder but still fished the same.
Also to note the bucktails we used where leaded and sunk a bit. I posted a couple pics of them on another thread. I had Art and cindy at A&C get there guy to tie them up for me after Clem retired and stopped selling them. they worked well. Bucktail was 100 -200 feet back as well.

The middle of the lake seemed more productive the closer to june it got. Earlier on we hit many of our fish by starting in front of Glatley point and trolling south. I would line my self up with the tip of the point at green bay for distance of shore. that would be about 200 yards of the glatley point shore. Pretty sure you would find a contour at that distance out and just off the south end of the point. having a depthsounder /gps that we did not in those days. Like I said it was a simple way to fish.

Not sure how fast as we had no electronics but I did find many fish hit the bucktail if we stopped for about 30secconds or so and then hit the throttle to the point of creating a wake. I would gess I was probably 2.5 -3 miles per hour for an average troll .

Hope this helps,as I said it has been 9 years not sure how much has changed. This thread makes me miss that simple CHEAP fishing. I would come home from work hook the tinny up and have the line in the water within 2 minutes of parking the truck. Now this salt water stuff seems so complicated in comparison.

Here are a couple from well.way too many years ago I believe this was a saturday morning fish back in 1991. The buck tail got both of these that day. Think Fish Assassin posted this pic of me a year or so ago on another thread.

keep the reports coming I enjoy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

We fished yesterday for 3 hrs and all I caught was a sunburn. I saw another 2 boats out fishing and no action for them.

I'm planning on fishing in the OK Lake Derby and am looking for another fisherman to come along. One boat with 2 fisherman.
Just need to contribute to gas and buy a Derby ticket. PM meet if you are interested.

Hey boys

Contemplating coming over from Nelson with the wifey to maybe fish this derby. Been in Kelowna A million times, but never did boat on the Okanogan, never mind fish. Just wondering where the best place may be to launch our boat the morning of the derby. Have a 19' Explorer, and I guess something with decent parking for truck and trailer also, and if anyone may want to fess up to maybe a general direction to fish, that would be great to. Thanks

Okanagan lake is much harder to fish then kootenay. Lots of places to launch with parking eldorado is a good one also great launches in westbank and peachland. In my opinion I think you should stay on the south side of the bridge head towards rattlesnake island area. Use you normal kootenay lake gear and you may end up $5000 richer!!

So how did we all do in the derby, I caught 2 little ones about 4lbs each not big enough for any prize, in total we boated 5 fish no big ones, my brother in-law had a really good tug right near the end of the derby pulled the end of his rod right into the water but we were all half asleep by then, a couple of good tugs and it was gone

SAD

Pretty slow for me landed one little one. 3 of my buddies got skunked. We're you fishing north of the bridge?

We fished the North end of the lake in the morning and got one fish just under 24" but it was only good enough for 4th place I think. In the afternoon we fished the south end with no luck.

Anyone know how many fish were caught or photos sent in??

I would have liked to see the winning fish photos posted up.

Not on person we talked with on the water or at the boat launch had caught a fish.

People get to caught up in using the tried and true plugs and lures, but this time of year the water is real dirty, we caught the 3 biggest fish on a #10 Lyman Lure which is bright blue and bright pink with a white bottom, the othe 2 were on a light green Mac's Squid which I only use this time of year.

The fish my brother in-law missed because we were all nearly asleep was also on a #10 Lyman Lure

Doug, what kind of boat were you in?

I emailed Jason the guy that put the derby on. He said 40 to 50 pics of fish total.

Back