Ok who hit the Tyee mark this year ???

John Ingram

Just wanted to know how many 30lb fish have been caught this season in our local waters.
Say from Port Renfrew to Vancouver

For me it was close a 27# er

Last edited:
I think there are a few guys on this forum that think tyee means 30 inches and have been saying they got 35's and 40's lol. My biggest to date is still a 27 right off the bell in late August. Every "25 pounder" I caught this year turned out to be 19-20 after using a real scale. But like everyone else I lost a dozen 40 pounders RIGHT AT THE BOAT!

I caught a Legitimate 32lber in Renfrew this year. Weighed it at the dock and also bled the fish so it was a bit heavier...lol. I know hero pics are frowned upon on this fishing forum but I have pics too! Lol. Great fish and it was caught with the whole family in the boat so even better.....

Last one in my boat was the fish in my avatar in Aug.2015.It was 32lbs and I wrestled it from a seal that had it by the tail.We got one last year at Aldridge Pt. that I thought would make it but turned out to be 28 Lbs. on the Cheannuh scales.Haven't even heard of one caught in Sooke this year.

I caught a Legitimate 32lber in Renfrew this year. Weighed it at the dock and also bled the fish so it was a bit heavier...lol. I know hero pics are frowned upon on this fishing forum but I have pics too! Lol. Great fish and it was caught with the whole family in the boat so even better.....

I like the pictures. Go ahead and post it and screw the naysayers. In fact I just went and got the picture and added it to my post.

Biggest locally (Vancouver) this year was a 27 lb red caught last weekend at Sandheads.

Four years ago on Labour Day weekend the much better half landed a 35 lb (weighed) red off the Bell Buoy. Hoping for a repeat this weekend! Three years ago she got a 41 lb (weighed) white in late September at Sandheads.

Not local, but she landed and released two tyees on the Central Coast this summer. The first was 35 lb - 37 lb and the second was 37 lb - 39 lb depending on which formula you use (length x girth squared / 800 or 750). She get's all the tyee's...

Took me about 5 years after the start of my shore fishing to break the 30 (32#) mark. and then another
10 years to break the 32 with a 37 . My buddy that started fishing with us at Ten Mile hit a 39 on his first
2 weeks of fishing with us. Just luck is all

Our guys could not get anything close to 30. About 26 was the best we could do off Renfrew.
Those 20's sure fight like the good ole 30 pounders and taste even better.
Pics from sport fishing members, particularly when the are biggies like Reel Slim caught, are GREAT.
As an example only...It's these guiding photos that **** me off as they don't go down well with the general public who we are trying to convince the sport fishermen do not rape the resource!
Photos of big catches posted by guides on this public forum are done looking for business and that pisses me off!
salmon serengeti charters (2).jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I caught my first salmon ever , 47 lb at Port Hardy , spent thousands of dollars chasing them ever since , but been going downhill ever since. Ha Ha it’s been fun though trying to re-create it.
Got the fish on the wall to tell the storey.
Like a crack addict chasing the dragon, ha ha!

Just be thankful you can still weigh a jumbo. Over here we just look at the big ones next to the boat, Smile and pull the hooks.

Back