Oil Spill-

Big difference between the US and Canada in pipeline management. In Canada the OGC, ERCB and NEB heavy VERY strict rules to follow on pipeline management and corrosion mitigation. In the US they are very much left on there own with only guidelines to follow. Accidents can still happen but the risk is lessened. It is ironic that so many Americans are against Canadian oil and gas development when they own and use cars, boats, atv's, furnaces, lawn mowers etc etc etc etc. and don't want fracking to take place in there own country.

I should add that the bad thing about not allowing pipelines to be built means it is being hauled by rail. That won't turn out so good and will result in way more emissions. No easy answer because the demand will keep going up because people are willing to complain but not change their lifestyles to lower usage.

Not getting grumpy with the comment, just adding to it. We Canadians tend to hear a lot American news and think it applies to us. We are not perfect but as a whole are far more environmentally responsible than down south. If you ask me, I think the biggest threat in Canada when it comes to oil and gas is the volume of freshwater consumed in fracking. This water is not only pulled from rivers and lakes, it will not be seen in the environment for millions more years, once contaminated it is pumped back into empty oil wells and disposed of. Some single wells have 15-20,000 cubic meters used on a frack. That is not sustainable. The government lets them have all they want, all they need is a $50 "water diversion" permit. Pretty sad.

Until there is a viable alternative comes along we all are going to continue to use oil and its thousands of by products. What few seem to grasp is the fact if we don't get after it and start to build new lines these breaks are going to get more frequent. Many of our lines are getting old and fatigued if we don't get after replacing them and increasing their capacity it's going to get very scary.

We are not perfect but as a whole are far more environmentally responsible than down south.

your economy is based on resource EXTRACTION!!!!! cutting down your ancient forests, strip mining with open pit mines, going after tar sands while tearing apart your boreal forests, which will never return, floating net pens destroying your fish runs, are hardly examples of 'environmentally responsible' acts. add to that a government you have put in place that is intent on silencing opposition voices, overturning ALL environmental protections and you have a country bound and determined to make big bucks by destroying your environment.

tar sands are corrosive. it is little wonder that pipe lines continue to fall apart. i can only hope that Obama tells you to keep your tar sands on your side of the border.

your economy is based on resource EXTRACTION!!!!! cutting down your ancient forests, strip mining with open pit mines, going after tar sands while tearing apart your boreal forests, which will never return, floating net pens destroying your fish runs, are hardly examples of 'environmentally responsible' acts. add to that a government you have put in place that is intent on silencing opposition voices, overturning ALL environmental protections and you have a country bound and determined to make big bucks by destroying your environment.

tar sands are corrosive. it is little wonder that pipe lines continue to fall apart. i can only hope that Obama tells you to keep your tar sands on your side of the border.

Sad but true. Harper will sell us in a heart beat

We are far from perfect. It's funny that there is no resource extraction in the US. Oh wait, there is. But it is environmentally responsible. Oh wait it's not, the Kern River oilfield (also heavy oil by the way) in California produces 15% more greenhouse gases per bbl of oil produced than the oil sands do. The US also produces more oil and gas than Canada does. You have 5% of the worlds population and consume 25% of the worlds resources. Feel free to shut off outside oil, the American way of life will quickly dwindle to hunter gatherer. More likely though, Canada will be found to have "weapons of mass destruction" and you will invade and take all our oil. That is the trend that has been set so far anyway.

well now Lank, you will note that i made no false claims about the US, it is what it is and many of us are not happy campers.

Just a little touchy when the American media rushes past American environmental disasters to point fingers at one of ours. There isn't a nation in the world that isn't negatively affecting the environment but this situations blind hypocrisy sets me off. To to www.usoilsandsinc.com and see what is about to take off in your backyard. The next step in energy independence.

You do not give up do you? I wonder why North Korea is aiming their nukes at the USA not Canada? :)

Wow a lecture on environmentalism, what's next one on humility? How are the California farmers quest to have orca's de listed so they can dam more salmon bearing streams going? Have they managed to de list the endangered elk that are slowing down snowmobilers? America hasn't got a great track record at home or abroad, maybe once you get your own house in order you can lecture the rest of the world.

Wow a lecture on environmentalism, what's next one on humility? How are the California farmers quest to have orca's de listed so they can dam more salmon bearing streams going? Have they managed to de list the endangered elk that are slowing down snowmobilers? America hasn't got a great track record at home or abroad, maybe once you get your own house in order you can lecture the rest of the world.

you will note that i have not tried to defend the policies of the US now or ever. there is pleny wrong this side of the border and we in the US are well aware of that. only you Canadians seem to believe you are above the rest of the world and feel free to kick sand at the drop of a hat. actually as a resource extraction based economy, you are killing everything you claim to want to protect. but, do feel free to continue kicking sand while you wander around with your binders on.

I think I'll just take the high road on this one reelfast and agree we also have room for improvement. I think if you travel more you may find that it isn't only Canadians that have a less than favourable view of US resource extractions and environmental policies both at home and especially abroad, and would find your condemnation ironic. It's great to be an environmentalist at home while your multinationals continue to plunder the rest of the world.

hey Ziggy, the US purchases all of those resources you folks extract. without that for sale by Canada what would keep your economy afloat???

does the US have a lot wrong with what is going on, for sure, for sure. the difference in this thread is i recognize that and don't pretend to be holier than thou.

carry on..............

C'mon Reelfast you are not going to tell me that you have stopped using anything that might be tied to oil products? :)

Back