Oil bath hubs

donnie d

I figure most here with oil bath hubs on their trailers use a 90 weight oil. Maybe not? Was curious if anyone had preferences on brands? Any to avoid? Any you find to be the most heat resistant?

I’m planning to drain and top up with fresh before taking the boat to the island for summer fishing. Any helpful comments are certainly appreciated!

Thanks!

I just use the same synthetic 75W90 gear oil that I used in my differentials. You really don't need much, one bottle will do a twin axle. It's like 100 ml per hub or something like that.

Yah I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I ran oil baths on my last boat trailer had it for 13 years, lots of long hauls on it, like lots. Did the bearings once in the 10th year not because I had to but just because. But I did change the oil at least every second year. All I ever ran was motomaster 70/80 gear oil from CT. It’s all good stuff this day and age no real junk out there, most of it comes from the same place anyways.

I've read that unless you're putting huge miles on the trailer, you shouldn't really need to change the oil. Far more likely to contaminate it trying to change it then have it break down enough to need changing.

Had my last trailer for 8 years. Put about 30,000k on it. Only problem I ever had was the plastic bath cap cracked and dumped all the oil, caught the problem before it went dry so no harm to the bearing. They make them out of aluminum now so that's not a problem anymore.

Thanks fellas.

I’ll be topping mine up to the label mark and carrying on. Got the trailer and only half filled.

Anxious to get down to the real water...dotting the i’s and crossing my t’s!

E4E44D46-5380-4A3D-B127-29EB38CF5DDC.png
Is this what you meant with the label mark? Don’t overfill them.
Thanks fellas.

I’ll be topping mine up to the label mark and carrying on. Got the trailer and only half filled.

Anxious to get down to the real water...dotting the i’s and crossing my t’s!

The only reason i change mine every couple of years is because you need to take the whole darn thing apart to check the brakes, and because they are drums, they have a lifespan of around 1.5-2 years.

Back