Oh no, Not again! By Bob Hooton

There is no record of a major fisheries management scheme that was not introduced in an atmosphere of desperation after the evidence of severe depletion had become too obvious for any explanation other than over-fishing.” (Crutchfield and Pontecorvo, 1969.

Needless to say, those who are impacted by any hint of compromise of their recent opportunity to harvest a public resource are anywhere between concerned and enraged. Dare I suggest conservation brings out a touch of self righteousness in people?

A hint of compromise? I read that and that was is it for me. Now we are all self righteous. Keep on shoveling that hole bigger.

It is one to want help but not getting where this is going frankly. The support of steelhead society with Marine Caucus speaks volumes. I really wish we were on the same team. It is sad really.

Last edited:
What Bob is saying is we are killing more fish than is sustainable. He is saying it is time to stop this. Simple, but virtually impossible to do because all user groups are fighting for the right to continue to do so.

I guess what is missing in the IFMP is the latest Chinook modelling. Under Option A, FN's fisheries would need to be restricted by 60% to achieve the 5% target, and under Option B, they would need to be restricted by 15%. For the Rec fishery the difference between Option A & B is 0.8%. In other words, the rec fishery takes so few Fraser fish, that even under non-retention (Option A) the impact is very small, and closing the fishery would have very little overall benefit in the larger scheme of things. Without significant in-river fishery curtailment there is no way to achieve the target...and I think Bob is pointing out there do not appear to be hard plans and hard targets to achieve that...and I concur.

This is usually the first week that legal in river Fraser FN netting starts. Waiting to see if we actually will a reduction....:rolleyes:

The easy answer is usually one or two options. The Government which has been busy tossing tons of cash to BC because it’s an election year will pay FN to stand down on the Fraser. Here’s your cash please don’t fish. That’s the easy answer. The tough answer is what our government has always done, keep everyone fishing, and hope they spend their way through the crisis. that is the more likely scenario, it always has been. Nobody worth a hill of beans can say we’re actually doing something about Fraser River Chinook and overall salmon health and continuing to allow the nets in the river. That’s the one area we can’t allow the nets. I’m a pessimist, I thank the Government for the 25 years too late investment they’re making but also realize that much of that money will go to hiring voters, not enhancing fish stocks. I say it every week folks, start a Sportfishing BC Organization. $10 a year, grow it annually so that it controls 40-50,000 members and you control elections. It would be the most powerful political voice in Canada. Politicians would be lining up to buy your vote. I’m as tired of this ******** as the rest of you. I keep 5 or 6 Chinook a year, I don’t keep anything else, I have never in 25 years ever kept a salmon or Steelhead in a river, I didn’t believe in it. I understood then as I do now, if you keep killing these fish before they spawn eventually they disappear. I believe all our rivers should be catch and release or go to a modified draw season where you can strategically control the number of fish being taken. But in defense of all fishermen, we haven’t done nearly enough over the years that could have been done. So don’t you dare tell us recreational anglers that we can’t fish. We simply do not take enough salmon to hurt the overall health of the species, that honour goes to something else. The individual tax payer, the sportsman, pays for the industry from start to filleting table, now we’re about to be told that what we paid for, nutured and cared for is no longer ours to enjoy. That’s a massive government failure. Hey CANADA, those are our fish. You paid for them. You also pay the salaries of the people that now sit in control of your future as an angler. Here’s one last thing even if they take your fishing rights away does that mean you’ll pay less in taxes quite the contrary your tax bill is going up after all this funding

The easy answer is usually one or two options. The Government which has been busy tossing tons of cash to BC because it’s an election year will pay FN to stand down on the Fraser. Here’s your cash please don’t fish. That’s the easy answer. The tough answer is what our government has always done, keep everyone fishing, and hope they spend their way through the crisis. that is the more likely scenario, it always has been. Nobody worth a hill of beans can say we’re actually doing something about Fraser River Chinook and overall salmon health and continuing to allow the nets in the river. That’s the one area we can’t allow the nets. I’m a pessimist, I thank the Government for the 25 years too late investment they’re making but also realize that much of that money will go to hiring voters, not enhancing fish stocks. I say it every week folks, start a Sportfishing BC Organization. $10 a year, grow it annually so that it controls 40-50,000 members and you control elections. It would be the most powerful political voice in Canada. Politicians would be lining up to buy your vote. I’m as tired of this ******** as the rest of you. I keep 5 or 6 Chinook a year, I don’t keep anything else, I have never in 25 years ever kept a salmon or Steelhead in a river, I didn’t believe in it. I understood then as I do now, if you keep killing these fish before they spawn eventually they disappear. I believe all our rivers should be catch and release or go to a modified draw season where you can strategically control the number of fish being taken. But in defense of all fishermen, we haven’t done nearly enough over the years that could have been done. So don’t you dare tell us recreational anglers that we can’t fish. We simply do not take enough salmon to hurt the overall health of the species, that honour goes to something else. The individual tax payer, the sportsman, pays for the industry from start to filleting table, now we’re about to be told that what we paid for, nutured and cared for is no longer ours to enjoy. That’s a massive government failure. Hey CANADA, those are our fish. You paid for them. You also pay the salaries of the people that now sit in control of your future as an angler. Here’s one last thing even if they take your fishing rights away does that mean you’ll pay less in taxes quite the contrary your tax bill is going up after all this funding

Have you joined SFI?

i’ve looked at the website 100 times, but when I see who represents them across the board it isn’t quite what I stand behind.

Liberal Government is all I have to say. They are big spenders and industry killers, doubt they will make it through the next election thank goodness. Then it will be up the the next government to balance the budget and help many hurting industries in BC and Alberta get back on their feet.

All people living in the borders of Canada need to play by the same rules is the only way forward no special treatment for certain citizens it all our problem to fix. Their needs to be a unified front not one group throwing the other user group under the bus for their own interests. The reality of that is highly unlikely and it serves the current agenda for some just fine but is short sighted, Trudeau needs to grow a set and start delivering real solutions for the better of the Canadian economy and protecting core coastal industries from collapse. Once their gone it's hard to bounce back.

There only needs to be two designations in Canada, Commercial Fishing and Recreational Fishing. We are all Canadians.

Last edited:
Liberal Government is all I have to say. They are big spenders and industry killers, doubt they will make it through the next election thank goodness. Then it will be up the the next government to balance the budget and help many hurting industries in BC and Alberta get back on their feet.

All people living in the borders of Canada need to play by the same rules is the only way forward no special treatment for certain citizens it all our problem to fix. Their needs to be a unified front not one group throwing the other user group under the bus for their own interests. The reality of that is highly unlikely and it serves the current agenda for some just fine but is short sighted, Trudeau needs to grow a set and start delivering real solutions for the better of the Canadian economy and protecting core coastal industries from collapse. Once their gone it's hard to bounce back.

There only needs to be two designations in Canada, Commercial Fishing and Recreational Fishing. We are all Canadians.

Always enjoy your posts UkeeC. Couldn't agree more.

Back