Ocean Kayak

wishiniwasfishin1

Hey guys,
I am interested in getting into fishing out of a kayak around the Vancouver area. The idea would be to keep it at Jericho sailing center in Vancouver and fish the Bell and the harbour, with maybe the occasional trip to the Sunshine Coast. I also have a 9 year old daughter who would love to go out so I think a 2 person kayak is best.

What would you guys recommend? Is it easy enough to get a feisty 20lbr on board? I would likely not get into downrigging at least at first, more jigging and pulling bait with a 6-8oz weight. I would also like to get a simple depth sounder - budget around $2500.

What do you guys think of this boat? Again I don't know anything about kayaks but would like something stable and easy to fish out of... Do you guys net or gaff fish?

Here is a used one that sounds good but its 85lbs. I am not too worried about the weight as I can store it close to the water and wheel it but if i go on a trip it may be a consideration.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/5467955666.html

Hey Waterwolf,
Yeah that really looks like a premium boat. I would be brand new so maybe that would be something to look forward to. It looks like the Hobie Outback with the pedal drive is a solid boat that would fish well. I would like just get a single, as my daughter would likely only come out 10% of the time, so we can find a smaller simple boat for her.

From what I have been reading it looks like the pedal drive makes the experience much better. Have you kayak fished?

Those big tuna boats have a good reputation--it looks like a good boat. I have a Hobie island and a Hobie revolution and do a fair bit of salmon fishing with them here on Vancouver Island, using a downrigger. For summer run salmon you don't necessarily need a rigger, tho. There are lots of guys who just use a 1 lb weight and troll with that.
T2

Whatever you get, make sure you have at least a compass with you at all times. I have listened twice to the Coast Guard asking for help finding a Kayak lost in the fog. They call on their cell and then the search is on. I assume some cell phones have those options but a dead battery could be a disaster.

Thanks Civano, thats good advice - I would carry a compass and handheld vhf, whistle, life jacket, bailer.

Tsquared - the boats you have are pedal drive, no? From what I have read I think it makes sense to get a pedal drive boat so its more hands free, faster and better overall for fishing. Is the 1lb weight a better option that a deep six or a dipsy diver? What length rod do you use, and do you use a net or gaff? So many questions but it seems like a fun way to fish...

Thanks Civano, thats good advice - I would carry a compass and handheld vhf, whistle, life jacket, bailer.

Tsquared - the boats you have are pedal drive, no? From what I have read I think it makes sense to get a pedal drive boat so its more hands free, faster and better overall for fishing. Is the 1lb weight a better option that a deep six or a dipsy diver? What length rod do you use, and do you use a net or gaff? So many questions but it seems like a fun way to fish...
The boats I have are pedal drive, which I love because of the hands free for fishing. I mostly use my adventure island as it has a sail to help me move.
As for what's better to troll with from your options I couldn't really say because I use a rigger. I started out with a short rod but quickly moved to a longer one to be able to bring the fish around to the port side of the yak, getting it past the stern was problematic with a short Rod. I use a net but always carry a gaff for releasing fish or bonking keepers.
T2

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    571.5 KB · Views: 22
That makes sense. What size ball do you use with your rigger? And is it pretty easy to get used to? Obviously it would be a manual rigger i am guessing..

I use an old Scotty saltaire rigger that I inherited from my father circa the 1970's. In the summer I usually use a 5 or 7 lb ball as the salmon are higher in the water column and for winter springs I go with a 10 lb ball. You have to pick your days in terms of current and wind when kayak fishing on JDF Strait. This weekend, for example, is a no go as the currents are too strong for yakking. Even on a milder current day you need to think about current direction and where you want to fish and plan your day accordingly. Use the current to take you from your launch spot and cover some spots until you find fish, stick around the hotspot to fish the current change, and then ride the current back to your put in spot. That's the ideal and it doesn't always work out that way but you should always know the current pattern for the day for both fishing but more importantly, safety reasons. My apologies if you already know all this stuff but I like to stress safety with people just getting into yak fishing.
T 2

Thats all very good advice Tsaquared re the tides and planning out a safe and effective route.

It sounds like you have done and learned a fair bit. My guess is I will get a rigger at some point but will start with a weight or dipsy until I figure out some of the basics. By the time I actually get everything sorted the fish should be pretty high in the water column.

I love those old blue Scottys. I didn't realize they could handle a 10lb ball. I couldn't really tell from you pictures, but is the rigger mounted in front or behind you when seated? I see some people mouth their riggers behind them and I cant't really figure out why.

The rigger is beside me, on a wooden platform I made that rests on the arms going out to the outriggers. People put their rigger behind them as it can be difficult to mount one on the gunnel in front of you.
T2

Hi Wishiniwasfishin, I have been kayak fishing on JDF for 15 years at least, and maybe 20 now. Never used a down rigger on my kayak, which is a old Necky Arluk 18 foot fibergalss touring model, paddle drive and spray skirt for bad weather. I keep it simple, just mounted a rod holder on it, in front of me. I don't use a net on the big ones, just gets in the way, I gill them then bonk 'em to get them in. i use a small net for pinks and coho. Last year I started to use the kite tail flasher with my anchovy, and one pound weight and it worked well, but so far, on that combo, nothing over 15 lbs, but playing the fish is super fun with the kite tail giving much less drag. I vary my depth by changing my speed. I sometimes use a heavy banana weight and cut plug or just herring in a anchovy head.
A recent kayak fishing story: Was out May 1st on a beauty morning at my favorite spot and boated a nice hatch 8-10 lb winter spring to kick off this year. Had to launch through a bit of ocean swell breaking on the beach, managed to stay dry, 30 pulls, less than 10 paddle strokes and I got my hit. 2 more hours through the current change and nothing. Made for a great dinner fish. No one else on the water, a rarity for this spot cause its early yet. Good luck, its super fun. Zfish.

Hey zfish, thanks for the info. When you say you gill a larger fish, do you use your hand in the gill plate or lift it with a gaff? It seems like just a gaff would be a good option as its a good way to release a fish as well.
That sounds like a great trip you had. I am thinking maybe a downrigger might be overkill and I do like simplicity. I will get used to fishing with a cut plug and an 8 0z weight as that can be pretty hard to beat.

Hey zfish, thanks for the info. When you say you gill a larger fish, do you use your hand in the gill plate or lift it with a gaff? It seems like just a gaff would be a good option as its a good way to release a fish as well.
That sounds like a great trip you had. I am thinking maybe a downrigger might be overkill and I do like simplicity. I will get used to fishing with a cut plug and an 8 0z weight as that can be pretty hard to beat.
Just use my finger under the gill plate, I time it for when the fish opens its gill cover, slide in and grab the soft spot under the gills. So much is going on when landing the fish that I don't really have time to grab the gaff. Be super patient till they lay on their side, then grab it. I do put the rod back in the holder to go hands free when landing it, hand over hand down the leader to the fish; keep that tension on the line. Simple, full contact fishing for me. I can say for me, at my main spot, that I have had more success with some sort of flasher over the no flasher methods. Z

Last edited:
I got a kayak and went out around the mile marker / Bell in Vancouver tonight for 3 hours. The tide was right and there was no wind..I have a feeling it wont be like that every time I go.

It was a great night to be on the water, but all i caught was a crab! I need to get to fish finder going so I know depths, i just got the boat and wanted to test it out before mounting the sounder. I am thinking returning the Lowrance 3-x and getting the four which would allow me to see a chart. I had no idea where i was fishing and really wanted to see contour. What do you guys use?

All in all it was great, saw lots of wildlife and wasn't completely bagged although i see what you guys mean about timing the tides.

I need to get to fish finder going so I know depths, i just got the boat and wanted to test it out before mounting the sounder. I am thinking returning the Lowrance 3-x and getting the four which would allow me to see a chart. I had no idea where i was fishing and really wanted to see contour. What do you guys use?
I use a Navionics app on my iPhone (in a water-proof case) to check depth from time to time but I am never starring at a screen. I fish very similar to ZFish's method in that I am in a sea kayak, no down-rigger, keeping it simple. My fish finder(s) are concentration of gulls, fish jumping (coho) and/or other boats. Tight lines!

Hi Wishiniwasfishin, I have been kayak fishing on JDF for 15 years at least, and maybe 20 now. Never used a down rigger on my kayak, which is a old Necky Arluk 18 foot fibergalss touring model, paddle drive and spray skirt for bad weather. I keep it simple, just mounted a rod holder on it, in front of me. I don't use a net on the big ones, just gets in the way, I gill them then bonk 'em to get them in. i use a small net for pinks and coho. Last year I started to use the kite tail flasher with my anchovy, and one pound weight and it worked well, but so far, on that combo, nothing over 15 lbs, but playing the fish is super fun with the kite tail giving much less drag. I vary my depth by changing my speed. I sometimes use a heavy banana weight and cut plug or just herring in a anchovy head.
A recent kayak fishing story: Was out May 1st on a beauty morning at my favorite spot and boated a nice hatch 8-10 lb winter spring to kick off this year. Had to launch through a bit of ocean swell breaking on the beach, managed to stay dry, 30 pulls, less than 10 paddle strokes and I got my hit. 2 more hours through the current change and nothing. Made for a great dinner fish. No one else on the water, a rarity for this spot cause its early yet. Good luck, its super fun. Zfish.
Can you post a pic of the rod holder mount? Just bought a touring boat and am curious how to do this without sacrificing a nice yak.

Yeah the phone idea is good but makes me nervous, as I have lost more than one iphone to the ocean and that wasn't even on a boat. T2 - What model Lowrance? Is there a specific chip that is better than another for the chart?

I am thinking this one would work - but don't really know how the chip thing works. What chip do you have?

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/Elite-4-CHIRP-en-us.aspx
I've got the elite 5 chirp. As for the chip, I've got a navionics gold for the bc coast. I put the transducer inside the hull in a piece of foam gooped to the bottom, cutout for the transducer. Splash a little water in the cutout, push the transducer in on top and you're good to go.
T2

Back