Oak Bay Wolf shot and killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have just taken back to Discovery Island. Was bound to happen with the season open. I would imagine the guy who shot it is not a "celebrity " now and is self isolating ?

Not saying it is right or wrong but do think it was a poor choice to relocate him to that area. Could he have not be taken back to the island where he was.

Good on the guy. This uproar is ridiculous. Is he supposed to ask the wolf before he shoots if it is a couple peoples favourite wolf?

Since I shot my first deer at 11 years of age, well over 50 years ago, as a hunter I know better that to shoot a research tagged or collared animal. I also know that on rare occasion that an accident can happen and the animal shot without noticing the tag or collar, tags I suspect much more so than larger bright colored collars. I hope the hunter did not see that tag in his scope and shoot anyway. This is not just any wolf, it is a celebrity and killing it gives no end of ammunition to the anti-hunter crowd in their campaign to limit, restrict and end hunting. Perhaps the authorities should have given it a bright colored collar which would have been easier to see and perhaps may have offered it a greater degree of protection.

Last edited:
How about all the ungulates that wolf rips apart every year? Wolves are hunting/killing machines and will do so for the fun of it, they will kill one deer a week for every week that that wolf requires to live. So lets not use our emotions in these situations, use your head, and if you don't know what that means do some research and you will soon understand that all animals need to be managed!

How about all the ungulates that wolf rips apart every year? Wolves are hunting/killing machines and will do so for the fun of it, they will kill one deer a week for every week that that wolf requires to live. So lets not use our emotions in these situations, use your head, and if you don't know what that means do some research and you will soon understand that all animals need to be managed!

Sorry, don't agree, and that's one desperate rationalization. This is the kind of PR disaster that puts pressure on both bureaucrats and politicians to further restrict or end hunting and that's the ones that still support us at all. This wolf walked around the city and I suspect lost much of it's fear of humans, making it more vulnerable than most to being harvested after being relocated.

Last edited:
Sorry, don't agree, and that's one desperate rationalization. This is the kind of PR disaster that puts pressure on both bureaucrats and politicians to further restrict or end hunting and that's the ones that still support us at all. This wolf walked around the city and I suspect lost it's fear of humans, making it far more vulnerable than most to being harvested.

Sure let a wild animal walk around town, "a wolf"!! That wolf could have easily taken down a child or a grown person for that matter and if that happened then there would be a huge issue! Sorry, wrong! Its reality! RF you are truly delusional!!

Oh everything comes back to bite hunters in the butt this day and age. We can’t kill anything and someone has an issue with it. Screw em you can’t keep eco idiots happy just can’t, how many times do we have to have this lesson play out. Its just another damn dog, lots of em out there. Don’t turn a wild animal into some kind of mystical pet and this won’t happen. They are to blame no one else.

Oh everything comes back to bite hunters in the butt this day and age. We can’t kill anything and someone has an issue with it. Screw em you can’t keep eco idiots happy just can’t, how many times do we have to have this lesson play out. Its just another damn dog, lots of em out there. Don’t turn a wild animal into some kind of mystical pet and this won’t happen. They are to blame no one else.
:p

upload_2020-3-26_13-26-32.png

Sure let a wild animal walk around town, "a wolf"!! That wolf could have easily taken down a child or a grown person for that matter and if that happened then there would be a huge issue! Sorry, wrong! Its reality! RF you are truly delusional!!

Well since it has now degenerated to the personal, I will end with, - If you can't understand that hunters are in a PR war and this kind of news story making the mainstream media , rather than just some enviro. nut animal rights website or blog, harms us, then self interest is lost on you. I am not some animal rights nut and have no problem advocating for a wolf cull when high populations are threatening mountain caribou. I am very much pro hunting. I will just say it is unfortunate that this story made the media as this animal had a lot of following in Victoria and many non animal rights nut general members of the public were fascinated by his story and followed it, so he was a celebrity. No matter how silly you may think that is, and I agree with you, when he gets shot like this, there is going to be push back against hunting not just from the animal rights nuts but from the larger society. Bit by Bit the anti hunters use these symbolic incidents against us. If you want a sense of the potential anti hunting outcome of shooting a symbolic celebrity animal, do a search and read up on the shooting of 'Cecil the Lion', which caused massive outrage world wide that went way beyond the animal rights nuts and the outcome did not benefit hunters. Anyway, I am out.

Last edited:
See wildmanyeah, you get it lol.

Next up the island green idiots will have a funeral for said pos Dog .
Sure would like an inventory of how many family pets that piece of Crap so called Wild Wolf Icon ate.
Glad its dead.
Even happier a kid didnt get attacked while roaming town.

All wild life needs to be balanced.....yes even since Greeny Islanders moved in. You greenys are part of the problem. Move away. You dont belong in the Wild Wolf Territory.

This dead wolf is a good dead wolf.

Next, managing attacking killer Rabbits and Blacktails. God help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back