O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Wish I could say ya, kicking myself all day today for not going when I had the chance. Should be beauty out there tomorrow.

Pacific Angler Friday Saltwater Fishing Report: Feb 28th, 2014

Eddie Matthei:

After an interesting week of weather with wind and even a good a good dump of snow I finally got back on the water. My opportunity came in the way of a very good fishing buddy taking me out on his new ride. A brand new very nicely equipped 27' Aluminum Kingfisher. The weather had turned from overcast and snow to sunny and quite mild overnight as we set out on our shake down cruise in the morning. After dropping the prawn traps we doubled back to start of the QB marker. We found a lot of bait and arches indicating fish but no takers.

Shaker.jpg

We had arrived a little late for the first low tide and trolled towards the mouth of the Capilano river and joined 4-5 other boats.
Unfortunately no one had seen a fish and not much showing on the sounder either that day. We picked up the lines and went back to the QB. About midway from the QB to Point Atkinson we finally landed the boat's first fish! Undersized but I was the only fish I'd heard about so the new boat seems fishy. It came on a 4" Army truck spoon but with no flasher at 140' in 185' of water.

prawns.jpg

The sun was starting to set so we pulled up the traps and split up 196 fat prawns between us. We decided to go out again yesterday and once again had great conditions. We started a little further west of the QB and the water looked fishy. Not far from us and closer to fisheries a fishing associate got a legal fish on a 4" Irish Cream spoon at 120' in 150' of water. Soon after we also hit a couple of fish but too small to keep.

One off the bottom and the other at least 1/3 of the bottom in anywhere from 120' to 185" of water, which is also where we were marking a lot of the bait. We hung around until the next high slack tide and hooked three more shakers. Best spoons were the 4" Irish Cream, Green Glos and the Army truck. I have been running some spoons with no flasher which is nice for playing the undersized fish and shakers and I love hooking a big fish that way.

Chinook_Feb-27_20141.jpg

Unfortunately there was only the one legal fish caught yesterday but I did hear about a boat earlier in the week that had multiple fish on and managed to land one in the mid to high teens. It was taken off at the mile markers in Point Grey. I have also been hearing a few reports of Tunsell Bay and west of Bowen Island but fishing fishing lately has been a little spotty. It definitely seems more bait has come in locally and there are fish there but it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time for sure. I also noticed the days I fished had very quick bites exactly at the slack. We pulled the traps and got more prawns to replace the ones we feasted on the day before. Overall be had a good couple of days enjoying the sun, scenery, wildlife and testing out a new boat.

Tight lines,

Eddie

Pacific Angler
604-872-2204
www.pacificangler.ca
www.vancouversalmonfishing.ca

Any tips on the prawning grounds, really looking forward to feasting myself!

Find a rocky ledge in 250-350 ft of water and soak pellets in Ace of baits prawn juice at least 24 hrs in advance, throw in a can of cat food for extra scent. You won't get too much info on locations on a forum that the whole internet to see. Also most areas are closed till april 1st.

Hello fellow fishman I looking for anyone intrestered in going out fishing sometime? I only get a chance to fish during the weekdays. Drop me a msg if anyone is interested. 50/50

You will also get a better return if you secure the bait in the trap in a tight mesh bag. You want as little movement in the trap as possible...The prawns spook easily!

Went out on sat. Fished the high slack at the mouth of the cap without a bite. Then went and dropped the prawn trap. We were planning on ripping over to the grace islands but it was too rough, so we fished the freighters instead for 5 or so hours. Right at low tide we got a fish on that peeled some line then spat the hook. Ended up with 22 decent sized prawns but no fish

I do not want any ones spot on were to drop a prawn trap but being new to the salt the only place I have been successful is in Howe Sound at a few places. I run a 15 ft. Boston Whaler with a 40 hp merc on it and when I launch at Vanier I would love to drop a Prawn trap and fish West Van. Is this a reality with the type of boat I have or am I just dreaming. Just want to be pointed in the general direction and then I can find the correct depths myself. Just hate having to tow the boat to Porteau Cove over the Port Mann and paying the toll from Langley. Any help welcome via here or by PM.

Mind you Porteau was nice to me about three weeks ago with this.

Thanks
Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty tough to get prawns unless you run around atkinson...from there you can get into them allover.225-300' ledges!!..pretty tough with yer boat understood.. if you want both in one day, launching in horseshoe or porthole cove is really the only way..unfortunately.

I do not want any ones spot on were to drop a prawn trap but being new to the salt the only place I have been successful is in Howe Sound at a few places. I run a 15 ft. Boston Whaler with a 40 hp merc on it and when I launch at Vanier I would love to drop a Prawn trap and fish West Van. Is this a reality with the type of boat I have or am I just dreaming. Just want to be pointed in the general direction and then I can find the correct depths myself. Just hate having to tow the boat to Porteau Cove over the Port Mann and paying the toll from Langley. Any help welcome via here or by PM.

Mind you Porteau was nice to me about three weeks ago with this.

Thanks
Ross

Hope you weren't in a closed area: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/prawnclos-fermcrevette-eng.html

Pacific Angler Friday Saltwater Fishing Report: Mar 7th, 2014

Saltwater Reports

Todd Sweet:

Went out on Sunday and tucked in behind Bowen Island at Tunstall bay to
avoid the nasty outflow. Fished the early part of the ebb tide and hit 6
undersize spring in 3 hours ranging from 20-23 inches. Most were right
on the bottom but interestingly enough we hit 2 at 150 ft in 180-200
feet of water.

Action was on both the irish creme and kitchen sink spoons.
We rounded out the day with 150 prawns and 10 crabs.

Eddie Matthei:

I was just reminiscing the last trip I had a week ago with calm waters
and sunshine but a few new weather fronts have changed all that and it's
been very wet and unsettled. Due to the weather I did not get out on
the water as planned so I am unable to provide you with any fresh fish
photos. Some boats did made it out and I did hear of another decent fish
taken. It was caught off the backside of Bowen Island earlier in the
week.

3.5" to 4" spoons especially the Irish Cream, Green Glo,
Kitchen Sink, Army Truck, Cop Car, Yellow Tail just to name a few are a
good bets. Once you find the spoon the fish like I usually double them
up. I have even ran all the lines with the same spoons or hoochies and
had pretty good action. At this time of the year it also a good idea to
try lines at in the 1/3 to midway up the water column. A lot of the
bait balls I've seen lately are in that range especially around the
slack tides. I like to run a spoons with no flashers 20' to 30' above
the bottom lines. It's a good way to try new spoons and a great way to
fight fish, especially the bigger ones.

On behalf of the Pacific Angler staff we wish you the best in your fishing endeavors and we hope
to see you either at the shop or on the water.

To check out the latest Pacific Angler news view the Pacific Angler Facebook page.

Jason, Matt, Andre, Max, Eddie, Jordan and Bryce

Fished back of bowen yesterday hit a couple small undersize then the wind forced us back to Vancouver. Seen a big pod of dolphins on the way back.

Just wondering what everyone does here with there prawn lines is it weight then 2 traps then another weight, do you guys weight your traps instead, what works the best in your opinion?

Weight the traps with chain around the bottom (8-10lbs) and about 30' from the last trap clip on a 10lbs ball that'is what i do and it seems to work fine but i would think in some places the 10 lbs ball should be upgraded to a 20 lbs

Back