Now That We Know TAC, What Should 2014 Limits Be?

SerengetiGuide

Just thought I'd start this thread. We know we will at least have better limits than last year, can discuss what everyone thinks they should be. My #1 vote is shoulder season, distant #2 is max size raised to 80lbs (could live with that). Will explain my logic in my next post in a couple hours :)

Full season, 1/2 with 5 limit. One of the five any size, other 4 under 65 lb

If the halibut comes up brown side up you kill it, regardless of size.

I like your thinkin sophiab..but i dont think the voodoo math will support this.

Am I missing something here? The tac being reported is slightly less than last year. As mentioned only barely affecting the sport 15%. So dfo model running the same rules as last against last years tac projected a 76k surplus. So same same would be just under that again. Yes we left 250k in water but do you really think DFO is going to take one years result and use it against their model.

I would venture to guess that they will run the same model and so they probably should. 1 year proves nothing. A couple small changes coming from any or all of these varriables(effort, better weather, more us money getting spent as the dollar is lower) and we could run over our TAC just as easy as we left 250 k last year.

I must be missing something as sviac is reporting a slightly better limit is likely as well. Color me confused I guess.

Am I missing something here? The tac being reported is slightly less than last year. As mentioned only barely affecting the sport 15%. So dfo model running the same rules as last against last years tac projected a 76k surplus. So same same would be just under that again. Yes we left 250k in water but do you really think DFO is going to take one years result and use it against their model.

I would venture to guess that they will run the same model and so they probably should. 1 year proves nothing. A couple small changes coming from any or all of these varriables(effort, better weather, more us money getting spent as the dollar is lower) and we could run over our TAC just as easy as we left 250 k last year.

I must be missing something as sviac is reporting a slightly better limit is likely as well. Color me confused I guess.

You are missing something. They forecast similar last year and look what happened. Weather was pretty good last year. Salmon was good but is forecast to be better this year. All these things point that amount of fish caught will stay similar or maybe even go down. We need to use up our tac as well IMO if we plan on asking for more. Closure mid October would not be detrimental.

No disrespect meant at all either. Just with salmon runs looking even better that will lower pressure on halibut. I believe an 80 limit would extend well into September if not October if not all season. Still love shoulder option though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are missing something. They forecast similar last year and look what happened. Weather was pretty good last year. Salmon was good but is forecast to be better this year. All these things point that amount of fish caught will stay similar or maybe even go down. We need to use up our tac as well IMO if we plan on asking for more. Closure mid October would not be detrimental.

No disrespect taken. This is why I asked. You are correct I am missing the idea that a slight change will at worst just close us a little earlier I get that and I do not disagree. On the surface and in plain numbers there should be room for a slight adjustment . I am just saying that what actually happened differs from what the model projects.It is my understanding that DFO usually likes to stick to the model until a few years of similar results can be provided.

So ya maybe I am over thinking it . we will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm OK with the current regs, although I'd like to see the over/under rule eliminated. In other words, 1/2, nothing over 126cm, 6 on a license.

Should be regulated by area.
Different areas have different needs, pressure, stocks, seasons...
Everything else is.

Tips

No way to organize an area by area management this late in the game.

My vote is for status quo with a Feb 1 opening. If not feb 1 march 1st please!

Through dec 31 of course unless we go over.

The 126cm slot was a trial only for 2013
I accept the 6 fish annually no problem, I don't like the slot though.
hope they scrap it.

No way to organize an area by area management this late in the game.

My vote is for status quo with a Feb 1 opening. If not feb 1 march 1st please!

Through dec 31 of course unless we go over.

That is ridiculous. Leave 250k in water and say status quo. Ya feb uses up 250k lbs. I actually can't believe my eyes. Dfo already established the fishery will not be opening feb 1

6 annual. Feb to June 1/1 126cm max July Aug Sept. 1/2 one of which 83 cm max-other 126 cm max. Oct-Dec 1/1 126 cm max. Resident anglers allowed one fish per year to 153 cm. any time.

All i want to say is if we had such a huge carryover and almost the same amount then we should have a feb 1 opening if not that, a march 1 for damn sure.......AND A BIGGER SIZE SINCE WE HAD SUCH A HUGE CARRY OVER NO USE LEAVING FISH IN THE WATER........

Wolf

I want to win a popularity contest.

No limits or size restrictions............. ;)

Ok, so after eating a huge steak from the keg, I"ll explain my view point.

I believe shoulder is the best way to go for a couple reasons:

1. Economic Benefits
Spreads out the economic benefits for tackle shops, guides, lodges, hotels, etc etc. Will create more people who put a higher priority on halibut to come to the coast in May-June, September and create more of an economic benefit to the above mentioned. July and August will always be busy for tackle shops and guides and hotels etc because that's when the prized Chinook salmon are running which most people love to fight. Always be busy! By having the shoulder to be the option it would allow guides to spread out bookings as well as people who even come to the coast.

2. Compromise
Many want two fish, many want big fish. This provides a bit to every user group. Long season as decent cushion, majority of year two fish are in play, and allows people the option of keeping a once in a life time fish. If people want salmon and two fish, that throws June into play, as most fishing in June is pretty good for salmon, maybe not as on fire as July, but still results in them getting all their fish most likely (both guided and unguided)

3. Season Length
With 60k in cushion, this will allow the season to go well into fall, as one of the main priorities of sfab is. This option actually has more cushion than both 70lb and 80lb limits, and almost as much as 60lb limit which was obviously way too much this past season. Angler behaviour will not change much as compared to 2012, as high grading already occurred! An extra 83cm halibut is only about 4-5lbs of meat...I don't think people were like, oh, ok, we have 4lbs of meat, let's keep another chicken....

4. Cripples Experimental License ---> MORE TAC IN FUTURE
Season length and size limits, especially the latter, have resulted in some using the experimental, well this option takes care of both of those and will result in almost no one using, whether leasing or actually using, experimental licenses. Results being that we have a much higher chance of bumping up the 15% we already have and getting what we actually deserve!!!!!

Feel free to rebuke any point you like, would like to hear it, or even go point by point. Cheers! David

Back