Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
ABORIGINAL - Salmon: Economic Opportunities,
COMMERCIAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - General Information,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0304-General Information - Fraser Chinook Update - Status of 2019 Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures

This notice provides an update on planned conservation measures to address
conservation concerns for Fraser River Chinook in 2019. The Committee on the
Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) has assessed 13 Fraser
Chinook stocks with 7 assessed as endangered, 4 threatened, 1 stock of concern
and 1 not at risk. In addition, current low productivity of these stocks has
resulted in high concern about further declines in spawner abundance in 2019.
As a result, additional precautionary reductions in fishery mortalities are
being planned.

DFO is currently reviewing feedback from consultations on proposed new fishery
measures to further reduce fishery mortalities on these stocks and support
conservation. A decision on new measures for 2019 fisheries will be released
in early April.

Further information on specific management actions will be communicated by
separate Fishery Notices. You can view or subscribe to fisheries notices
at: http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Ashley Dobko 604-666-1505

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0304
Sent March 29, 2019 at 15:14
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

You don’t have to buy mine but I’m holding off buying as well
Until the group agrees to

Decided two weeks ago to no renew my licence and wait to see what will be decided. I know it's not the same "league" but in the province of Québec they announced an increase in hunting/fishing licence. They had such a big drops in licence sales (around 110k less a year), that they decided to revert back to their previous rate.

You don't have to buy mine ;)

Not going to renew mine but don’t need to pay me as i all ready mad alternate plans to fish in areas later in the season I know will be open like North island

Last edited:
Me Too
Oh wait that's a different movement, either way I am waiting on the new regs.

Sorry to say-but the rumour is (very good source) option A is it and it will be sold by DFO as the best possible outcome. The First Nations wanted nobody on the water but them. No second class citizens allowed!! Netted to the last fish looks like!-I won't be buying til I see what we get. Looks like a total re-allocation to me!! God I hope my source is wrong --but I don't think so!

Sorry to say-but the rumour is (very good source) option A is it and it will be sold by DFO as the best possible outcome. The First Nations wanted nobody on the water but them. No second class citizens allowed!! Netted to the last fish looks like!-I won't be buying til I see what we get. Looks like a total re-allocation to me!! God I hope my source is wrong --but I don't think so!

DFO’s numbers show that rec exploitation falls by 0.8% going from Scenario B to A. So the higher restrictions will do little to help the stocks of concern.

The result is that these restrictions will do little to help these fish as the problem lies somewhere other than exploitation by marine fisheries.

The biggest reduction in exploitation from going from B to A was in river exploitation by FN.

If Scenario A is implemented, all we can hope for is the fish can actually make it to the spawning grounds.

Call me a skeptic.

Moving back to Saskatchewan soon (Mexico in the winter) Just about had enough of the DFO and the Politics.
The Fishing is Great in both areas with no interference by the "STUPID" and/or "ENTITLED" !

Last edited:
I still find it hard to imagine that the liberals will do anything drastic in an election year and their poll numbers tanking. BC voters matter this time around. If they kill our fishing they lose this Province. I suspect we could see a hatchery only fishery in SVI but unless they’re willing to close all fishing in the Fraser how can anyone take them seriously about conservation? Next year, if the Liberals have another 4 year majority, it won’t be fun out here! The reality is FN and likely the Liberals are pushing for a race based fishery. That might fly in the rivers once territorial lands and rights have been clearly defined by the courts. The oceans are still controlled by the Federal Government and because the commercial lobby is so powerful the feds won’t dock that completely. I suspect as it’s written in new agreements, the feds will pay FN to not fish. The government either does that or fights it in court. Remember folks the feds still rely heavily on tax revenue from the rec and commercial sector, that guarantees some participation

For those of you holding off on buying your licences, I think thats a great way to let your wallet speak and I applaud you for letting the government know we're tired of being the whipping boy.

Ill be buying mine here shortly, partly because I need one for my job and partly because I want to try to keep my feelings on the rumored restrictions seperate from my enjoyment of fishing. No matter what restrictions they impose, there will likely still be an opportunity to get out on the water and do what we all love doing, even if it means keeping a few less (or even none) for the freezer. The proposed scenario A calls for non-retention of chinook, not a closure to all finfishing. Maybe somebody more cloesly involved in the process can correct me if Im mistaklen, but thats how I interpret scenario A.

I still find it hard to imagine that the liberals will do anything drastic in an election year and their poll numbers tanking. BC voters matter this time around. If they kill our fishing they lose this Province. I suspect we could see a hatchery only fishery in SVI but unless they’re willing to close all fishing in the Fraser how can anyone take them seriously about conservation? Next year, if the Liberals have another 4 year majority, it won’t be fun out here! The reality is FN and likely the Liberals are pushing for a race based fishery. That might fly in the rivers once territorial lands and rights have been clearly defined by the courts. The oceans are still controlled by the Federal Government and because the commercial lobby is so powerful the feds won’t dock that completely. I suspect as it’s written in new agreements, the feds will pay FN to not fish. The government either does that or fights it in court. Remember folks the feds still rely heavily on tax revenue from the rec and commercial sector, that guarantees some participation

Unfortunately fishing opportunities or lack there of mean squat to 99% of the people. If Salmon were important to govt being elected we wouldn't be in this mess.
DFO using "the whales" to reallocate fish is a tried and true DFO tactic. Just ask the west coast area G troll fleet what happened to them while their allocation was transferred to .............. well you guys get to figure out who it was given to.

Back