not for profit vs profit ..outlooks and opinions

Sorry profisher but you originally said:

Firstly to be able to limit the number of people who can enter the industry, especially in certain terminal area fisheries where too many pro boats could impact not only stocks but also the fishing experience for everyone by overcrowding. Also as you stated when that happens your business would be worth something as someone would have to buy your license if they want to fish an area that has been capped..

How does that relate to a class 1 license which has no limits, anyone can get one? You suggested limiting licenses to add value to your business. I'm sure truck drivers would welcome a similar situation where they controlled the industry by controlling the number of drivers.

Really not sure what your point is, Ziggy. IMHO if someone invests in a boat and all the equipment and gets the necessary certifications and licenses to become a guide, they should be able to do so. It's called "free enterprise". Given the capital investment required to get into the business, all of the restrictions on fishing and the length of the season, I suspect it isn't a particularly lucrative enterprise
It strikes me as being a bit like that old business adage: "Want to make a small fortune in the fishing business? Start with a large fortune and become a fishing guide."

Im just a good "liscensed and insured" taxi driver with a nice ride, fishn for a tip.

Non canadians should pay weigh more for a liscence here.100% to enhancement.

albertans luvs thur halibuts!

I am happy to help them all git some fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ziggy I also said I wasn't apposed to the government taking control of the license once you retire. I only used the first example of having the right to sell the license yourself as that is how it is done with the commercial guys. I still do believe hat the time will come when in certain terminal fisheries there will have to be a limit on how many loges and or guides can have access to those fish.

Really not sure what your point is, Ziggy. IMHO if someone invests in a boat and all the equipment and gets the necessary certifications and licenses to become a guide, they should be able to do so. It's called "free enterprise". Given the capital investment required to get into the business, all of the restrictions on fishing and the length of the season, I suspect it isn't a particularly lucrative enterprise
It strikes me as being a bit like that old business adage: "Want to make a small fortune in the fishing business? Start with a large fortune and become a fishing guide."
That was exactly my point. Why should a limit be placed in order to make business viable. Did I not make that clear? If so sorry.

YOU ARE correct Ucluelet Charters!!!!!!!! finally someone who gets it, if you give great customer service people come back if you dont ....well they fail.....simple.....

Ucluelet Charters, my concern is not about the business side of too many guides in certain areas, my concern is with fish populations. As an example: An area like Nootka Sound is very popular and sees boats arriving every summer from all over the province and the states. There are only a finite number of fish that enter that body of water to spawn in local streams and the Conuma Htchery has been successful and so far it can handle the fishing pressure. What about the Gold, Burnham, Tashis rivers? Are they doing well in a recovery? No!!! And as more boats come into the area to fish the hatchery stocks the smaller numbered local wild runs will continue to suffer. There are specific areas where there is a saturation point and let's face it guided boats catch more fish per boat than the average private boat does. Therefor it is only reasonable to assume that if there are to be restrictions they should limit guide boat first. Otherwise the only other option is to further reduce every boats daily catches.

So like an area from Victoria to Sooke which probably has the highest population of guide and sport boats needs more retrictions?,the Sooke river has been in poor shape for yrs is this due to over fishing ? Where to we draw the line on this ,doesn't make much sense to me, enhancement is are worse enemy,Rollie you of all people know we need to start there.

There are already even more severe restrictions in the Sooke area. Nobody can fish inside the line from August 1st....that is a terminal area like the one I'm talking about. It is not as big as Nootka Sound but inside the line is what I describe as terminal. Meaning the only fish you should encounter in there are fish bound for streams empting into that body of water. All I'm saying is looking ahead....we may well have to limit the numbers in those types of areas as an option or soon enough you will see these closed areas expanding to protect the weaker stocks.

We need more fish not more restrictions!

Btw, I think the Sooke Basin is not closed to fishing after Aug1 but closed to Chinook retention, or am I wrong? How would otherwise all those shore chuckers be allowed to fish at the river mouth?

Just to add Steve, what happens every time there are high numbers of boats fishing off the harbour and Possesson Point in late summer and then the Sooke Chinook returns are poor? You hear chatter about moving the line out even beyond the terminal area to further to protect Sooke bound fish. I've even heard that someone wanted it moved up as far as Otter Point one year.

Chris, yes non-retention of springs. Which basically means you aren't going to fish there if you are targeting salmon from a boat. More fish I agree Chris but that isn't happening and isn't even on the radar screen yet. Hell we don't even have a DFO office in Vancouver anymore. You have to call Ottawa, apparently that is where all the fish experts live and keep a close eye on our fisheries. Anyway a bit of a detour from the thread so out for now.

If were talking salmon stalks I don't believe hook and line is the big problem it's nets in rivers and the Seiners that are capable of decimating runs. Hook and line does account for a portion no doubt but it doesn't wipe out entire schools. If we left the rivers alone and the kept the seiners out of canals like Port Alberni for example where the fish are basically corralled up with no chance at all the stocks would probably become very healthy again. The net fishery should only be allowed in open water.

Hook and line won't wipe out healthy runs...but many runs Chinook runs are at historic lows. The commercial fisheries played a major role in this, agreed. I'm looking down the road. If governemnt doesn't do something soon to bring these runs back and fishing pressures increase, they will continue to slide downward. Do you wait until there is no choice but to shut down or do you become proactilve and plan ahead? I just think it is smart management to assess certain areas now for what is the maximum fishing effort these runs can sustain and use this information to put limits on future growth to prevent non-retention or complete closures for everyone. Of coarse I would rather see DFO get serious and implement recovery plans so we don't need to worry about limiting access.

So true, Chris. When we have our SFAB meetings for area 123/124 we are lucky to have 8 guides out of 60 show up....very frustrating.

So true Shawn, but that is also 8 more non guide rec fishermen than I have ever seen at any of the meetings as well. So in our area I would say both sides are seriously lacking.

If were talking salmon stalks I don't believe hook and line is the big problem it's nets in rivers and the Seiners that are capable of decimating runs. Hook and line does account for a portion no doubt but it doesn't wipe out entire schools. If we left the rivers alone and the kept the seiners out of canals like Port Alberni for example where the fish are basically corralled up with no chance at all the stocks would probably become very healthy again. The net fishery should only be allowed in open water.

Wake up... the northern troll fleet is allowed 2.3% of the southcoast mortality before they are shut down. The seins are not permitted to retain coho or springs. 250,000 anglers (with a 30 fish limit) have more than enough clout to do serious damage especially if those stocks are in trouble. I am not saying the commercial fleet didn't overfish in the past but that is a lot of water under the bridge. it has been at least 10years since the commercial fleet has had any real access to these fish.

I can tell you from first hand REC fisherman with there own boats off sooke and Vic outnumber us guides id say about 20 or even 30 to 1 In sooke harbour where i go from maybe 10 at most now SS maybe 2 Cheannah maybe 10 pedder 5, Victoria maybe 6 Mariners tops 5 and these are I think over ..... as alot are guys that work and do it part time.....
so for arguments sake maybe 30 ..... and any given day there is about 300 to 400 boats from oak bay to jorden river (in the summer) and you think the "guides" are taking them all cmon be real.....like ive said before out numbered alot ......WE all as REC fisherman use the resource plain and simple to go catch fish.
WE all are in this together like it or not WE are all responsible for catching and taking fish home thats WHY we do it added bonus its a heck of alot of fun instead of trying to divide us and bicker between us all as we all have to play in this sandbox together, IF you dont like it then QUIT!!!!!! take your boat out of the water sell and do something else....

just for your info fish4 ive got maybe 8 fish on my lic not EVERYONE can get 30 in a year ask a few on here I dont need to mention names.....

Wolf

Back