Northwest Aluminum Craft, what do they ride like?

c1steve

I am considering ordering one of their boats. I have seen them many times at Port Renfrew, but know little about how they ride in a seaway. Does anyone know how they are in a chop? What about in a large and steep following or in a quartering sea?

I know the boats are well built, but can find almost nothing about their performance. Also, does anyone know about their fuel efficiency? I am thinking of a 26' long version, with outboards.

Attachments

• NAC.JPG
    NAC.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 292
Probably one of the best aluminum out there in my opinion. Been on lots of them in the swells, and in following seas etc. Very safe boat and well made.

You may want to contact a few that have them or take a tour of facility . Its in langford on south island.

Talk to the guys at Island Outfitters as they have a number of them. Also Trevor (No Bananas) has basically the same boat you my be looking at. I have one on order (27 by 9.5) but he is building a 45' crabber right now so hard to predict timing for mine as I am just somewhere in the que. They pound a bit as the bow is pretty full but there are a wicked sea boat.

Redfisher,

Are you going with outboards or sterndrive? A diesel sterndrive would cut the fuel use by at least a third. However I want to avoid an outdrive as the boat would be in the water 8 months of the year. The full bow does concern me, perhaps I can go on a sea trial when a storm comes in.
One of their customers told me NAC would be happy to complete the metal work, glass, and foam, leaving the balance to the owner. That is what I am planning on doing.

A friend has a Pacific Boats 26WA that rides well and the fuel consumption is 2.3 mpg with twin 4 strokes. I like the NAC better, but want to avoid high fuel consumption.

SpringV, I am pretty sure the quality will be exceptional. The bow looks so blunt, I want to make sure that will work for me. Also I would like to know what to expect for fuel consumption.

Last edited:
There's a 28', 10.5' wide NAC moored in pedder bay. I was talking to the owner and he's has the Volvo desiel, 8 gph @ 34 mph cruise. It's a sweet ride.

That Pedder Bay boat is seeing over 4 mpg at 34 knots. That is great fuel economy. I should go back to Port Renfrew and speak to the crew of the various NWAC boats.

Most likely it will be the Volvo D6. The common rail engines are more efficient than previous models, and the D4 would be too small.

I know i/o can be a pain at times but that fuel burn is tough to beat. Pretty much doubles your range over twin having outboards.

Redfisher,

Are you going with outboards or sterndrive? A diesel sterndrive would cut the fuel use by at least a third. However I want to avoid an outdrive as the boat would be in the water 8 months of the year. The full bow does concern me, perhaps I can go on a sea trial when a storm comes in.
One of their customers told me NAC would be happy to complete the metal work, glass, and foam, leaving the balance to the owner. That is what I am planning on doing.

A friend has a Pacific Boats 26WA that rides well and the fuel consumption is 2.3 mpg with twin 4 strokes. I like the NAC better, but want to avoid high fuel consumption.

SpringV, I am pretty sure the quality will be exceptional. The bow looks so blunt, I want to make sure that will work for me. Also I would like to know what to expect for fuel consumption.
I am going with twin 175 Zukes. While the diesel is appealing the over all cost vrs outboards puts it out oy range. I am getting all aluminum work done and finishing myself. Talk to any of the guys I mentioned or to a number of Renfrew guys who are running them with outboards for fuel specs.

I checked with a local supplier, in the US, and was quoted $31,125 for the D6-300 complete package. This includes hydraulic helm, gauges, props. Everything but a battery and steering wheel. I believe the 175 Suzukis would be about $11,000 each, and mpg should be about 2.1 mpg for the pair. When I go to Renfrew, I will ask about fuel burn.

Outboards do have many advantages, and are still appealing to me. Mostly no drive in the water when not in use, and more room in the cockpit. For me it is coming down to a 26' boat with twin outboards, or a 28' with diesel sterndrive. For chasing tuna offshore the diesel would be much better, but for local use outboards would be welcome.

Last edited:
Unreal boats have had mine since 2005 love it and the ride is fine :) hint don't **** Doug off or you wont be getting one built !!!!

The fuel economy gain with the volvo diesels will be more than eaten up with the cost of planned and unplanned maintenance. VP parts are astronomically priced. Plan on 3-5 grand a year on maintenance. I owned a boat with a 370 hp D6 diesel with a dph drive for 7 years, never again. VP is dead to me. I can maintain my current Twin Hondas for $300-500 a year averaging 200+ hrs of use a year Just like my last boat. That leaves a whole bunch more money to throw down the fuel hole. As far as the ride of the NAC boats I have been on including Trevor's, they do seem to bang a bit in the short interval stuff but their overall seakeeping is outstanding making for a great all around boat. The are also very stable on drift. That fuel economy quoted on the boat in Pedder seems unrealistic to me. Real world with that boat fueled and geared up I would say he would be around 3mpg. Of course most boat manufacturer's tend to post burn #'s with a very light load and quite overpropped to sell boats. If you really want to shorten the life of a diesel overpropping will get it done.

Last edited:
i am with Sentinel
4 mpg is a pipedream
at 2800 rpm my D6-330's burn 11 gph, granted in a much hevier boat. there is a reason Volvo is on version 4 of the DPH leg...parts, maintenence items and the service intervals will bleed ya...i care and feed two of the beasts
i ran a 24' Almar with 18 degree bottom - very very similar to a Silver Streak - had a single 250 4 stroke Yamaha - rarely, rarely saw 3 mpg

I am considering ordering one of their boats. I have seen them many times at Port Renfrew, but know little about how they ride in a seaway. Does anyone know how they are in a chop? What about in a large and steep following or in a quartering sea?

I know the boats are well built, but can find almost nothing about their performance. Also, does anyone know about their fuel efficiency? I am thinking of a 26' long version, with outboards.

that is the boat I see in Thasis - lovely well thought out and constructed boat
on my shortlist when i come to my senses and downsize...

A friend has one out at Renfrew ....... Beauty of a boat, not cheap but well worth it for the quality you get back.

NWAC was charging $1,500 a foot for the metal work, glass, and foam. No interior, etc. This would be an excellent way to obtain a super high quality boat. Personally I would install wood stringers on aluminum tabs, and foam the interior of the hull. This way moisture will not condense and the boat will be drier, warmer, and quieter. So a 25 foot boat would cost $38,000 to buy. This includes the windows and doors.

I do not know if the price is still the same, but I was told that Doug prefers to sell boats this way.

Aluminum tabs are welded on for the wood stringers and any wood bulkheads. Screws pine firing strips to the tabs leaving a space underneath for the foam. Install the bulkheads as well. Foam it 1" thick, and cut off the high spots near the stringers, use a sander to smooth out more of the foam. Then paint it all with white latex, for fire retardant ability, etc. Then screw on a thin layer of plywood. I think 3-4mm ply would work well, but should calculate the weight of the wood liner system before jumping in.

Last edited:
Back