North River Boats

Looking at buying a 21 North River Seahawk with a 150hp yamaha, looking for and insite from owners on the good and bads of the boat? Is the 150hp enough power? Offshore? I know they went tits up for a while but are back building boats after the feds got through with them.

Hi Battle bay.

I can't speak from personal experience regarding the North River. I have spent a lot of time over the last year scouring the American forums for info on an aluminum boat purchase. I read many posts regarding the 21 North River Seahawk. All were very complimentary regarding this boats offshore seaworthiness. The posts discussing power for this boat seemed to feel the 150 was a little less than optimal. Of course most of these fishers were using them to run large distances offshore for tuna. This usually requires extra large fuel tanks or carrying spare tanks. They were also packing several hundred pounds in ice, and often returning with hundreds of pounds of Tuna.
They were obviously carrying a lot more weight than the average guy here. So hopefully someone using it under local conditions can comment.

Glad to hear North Rivers back in production again. They're one of the best out there. I ended up getting a Harbercraft recently, I don't think you can go wrong with them either. Plus it's nice to support a BC company if the product and price are right.

Never owned or taken a ride in one but doesnt the bow on the 21 seahawk look low and open if your planning on using it offshore regularly?

The open bow part can easily be fixed if you are concerned. Truck inner tube underneath a grommeted fabric cover

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

BattleBay

I just did a sea trial on a NorthRiver OS 26'. Had twin 150 yamis. Rode real nice on the open ocean, west coast of Oregon. One test was to see what speed it would do with only one engine powered up. I was shocked to see 32 mph on a GPS, in choppy seas. This is part of the "get home" benefit of twins. Boat did in the high 40s to 50 mph with both engines on flat water. This boat has a hull design for rough water, deep V bow entry. I am buying the boat and will pick up shortly. Try this link for more info.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=1261050

Eastpoint,

I have a 22'Seahawk with a 200 hp Yammy, I run it offshore and feel very safe. They do ride very nice for a flatter hull boat. 80 gallons of fuel gives me great range, about 300 miles. Top speed is around 42mph, loaded. The pod on the back is very bouyant and with a shallow bow it looks a little nose heavy but the ride is awesome,the suspension seats are great you can buck a chop all day with no worries.I had double scuppers put in the bow,you can take a big gulp and it dumps it pretty quick,although I have been in some big seas I have never had any major water over the bow, and with the 200 its tons of power. I also had the aluminum floor put in, I am just not a fan of having duradeck stuck to plywood for my floor. It would be nice if the hull was a little deeper so you could have a flush deck,everything ends up in the bilge.Overall the boats are good value for the dollar!

Back