North island reports

I used to work at said lodge on malcolm island with sam n joe's son I beleive! The go to spot in the morning was called the "slide" which is half way between lizard and donegal. Look for a slide or missing patch of trees I always did my first couple of first light passes in 50 to 60 feet of water with lines at 30 and 50 and then worked my way out to 80-100. Chartreuse glow hoochies, and chovies in glow green, bloody nose seemed to work well since a lot of the water up there is glaciated from the mainland inlets. As for halibut george bank is good, we also fished another one out there that looked like a peanut. Good luck and tight lines.

Juby

Juby, when did you work there?

Had a few hours off and fished Duval Pt out of Port Hardy. Managed a small chinook amongst all the pinks.
The fish cleaning table in Bear Cove Port Hardy saw good business all day long with steady traffic in and out. Salmon and halibut. It looked like the boats I was amongst all got some action too. The boats coming from farther away seemed to have the bottom fish.

Got back from Hardy on Saturday, 4 of us were up there for 6 days.

Limits of springs to 26 lb, coho to 11 lb, hali to 70 lb, ling to 38 lb and a good mix of snapper and other cod. Put 120 lb of filets in the freezer. 4.5 and 6" 50/50 and chrome spoons and purple haze squirts were the ticket.

Cheers

SS

Got back from Hardy on Saturday, 4 of us were up there for 6 days.

Limits of springs to 26 lb, coho to 11 lb, hali to 70 lb, ling to 38 lb and a good mix of snapper and other cod. Put 120 lb of filets in the freezer. 4.5 and 6" 50/50 and chrome spoons and purple haze squirts were the ticket.

Cheers

SS

We're you far offshore or close in...We are up there late next week for few days so starting to think about where to go...First time fishing up there so should be interesting....

We fished spots in between the usual spots, spots that most run past to get to the offshore/mainland/top of the island spots.

PM me this weekend and I will send you a few spots.

here is a couple picts

Cheers

SS

We fished spots in between the usual spots, spots that most run past to get to the offshore/mainland/top of the island spots.

PM me this weekend and I will send you a few spots.

here is a couple picts

Cheers

SS

Whoa fish god! Who did you use for a guide?

SS doesnt need a guide.. quite a few years living on the north island ( and he is a good fishermen to boot............)

is there any current stations up around Hardy? Nearest I can find is Weynton down at McNeil.

Justback from 2 weeks at alder bay, we got 1 32lb hali 1 24 lb ling 3 springs 1 coho and a bazzziiilllllion pinks. bottom fishing was tough for us all the usual spots seemed dead,and the springs were caught mostly around donegal. Lots of other people bringing lots though and some really big coho if you can get by the pinks. All in all a good trip, rained a couple times but kinda nice to get out of the lower mainland heat

Back from first boys trip to Hardy - what a country, dreamy weather and I'm sure we lucked out. Poured first day, but flat the whole time except for 1 choppy evening. As it was new to us, the springs mostly alluded us (and any insight would be great - besides going up to the bar). Biggest around 20 from Castle point, today along Gordons we had one apparent tank hammer it but didn't stick, and another biggie that broke the hook. Searched hard for those! Fished Duval, Gordons, Castle, Jeanette - only thing consistent was coho and they were thick - almost all 8-10 lbs, up to 15 lbs. Bottom fish was the adventure though - didn't find big hali - mostly 10-15 lbs - couple up around 20-25, lost a big one south of Jeanette. Ling cod...different story - we found monsters right away - 2 in the 40-50 area, bunch in the teens, another around 30 - mostly in Davey Rock area. Ran to Pine yesterday for afternoon and found a nice mixed bag - ling, snapper pushing 10-12 lbs, and hali as well.
Typical day here
photo.php

Attachments

• DSCN0534 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0534 (Medium).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 928
You guys are lucky in Hardy...Some of the best and prettiest country ever fished in, and will be back.... I am sad already leaving.... Couldn't have asked for better weather.

Dammit! LOL..Was slow for us at Duval when we were up there... Always happens a few days after a trip. Did you pick them up shallow? A lot of our springs were only 20 to 30 off rigger.
We were at duval at 6 am and by 7:15 we had 4 springs and a coho. went around the corner on the inside and had 4 more springs we let go. home and cleaned up by 10. Wade from bearcove was spotted headed for castle pt. oh ya 40 to 50 ft

20150812_152519.jpg well we were not alone at duval today
not as good as yesterday 3 springs 1 coho but we got one of these in the secret spot20150815_144307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back