Nootka Sound Road and Boat Ramp

BDog Fisher

I have dually truck, camper and 25 foot boat. Will this rig successfully travel to Moutcha Bay via the logging road? How is the boat ramp in Moutcha Bay?

Or is my best bet launching at Gold River?

I have dually truck, camper and 25 foot boat. Will this rig successfully travel to Moutcha Bay via the logging road? How is the boat ramp in Moutcha Bay?

Or is my best bet launching at Gold River?

You'll be fine. Just go slow, gear down on the hills, it's fairly well graded this time of year with no shot rock like some other roads on the island. Be prepared to hug the sides and pull over to let the loggers by, both big rigs and pickups fishtailing around corners, par for the course on a major logging road like that. Road was in good shape this past week. Ramp at Moucha Bay is good at mid to high tides, probably more on the higher end of the tide for your boat, low tide is a no go as it's not that steep of a ramp and concrete drops off. Have a good trip!

Have not been to Moutcha this year but they only had a "ramp" without a dock to launch your boat last year but for most that is not a big deal. In the off season I launch at Gold River because it is not busy but during this time of year it is a complete gong show that I tow the boat on the logging road between Gold River and Thasis most of the time. They really need a launching lane and then a retrieving lane at Gold River. I had quite the group of people yelling and swearing at me last year when I took my boat out because I just motored slowly past them to the ramp. What they didn't realize was that my father had driven from Thasis with the truck and trailer. He just backed down the center of the ramp and I drove the boat on. He clipped the boat to the winch and put the safety chain on. I stayed in the boat while he drove up the ramp. Whole deal took 3 minutes and did not interfere with anyone else doing there own thing. Not my fault that everyone else has to drop someone off to get their truck and trailer but it didn't make any friends.

The logging road in normally very well maintained and easy going if you just take it slow and watch for logging trucks. For what it is worth I don't have any problem towing a 24 foot boat on the logging road.

Just my thoughts on it.

Can anyone give an update on the road to Moutcha Bay? It is a much shorter run to the fishing spots in my 19' boat and sounds like it is less busy than Gold River.

Thanks guys,

Curtis

Can anyone give an update on the road to Moutcha Bay? It is a much shorter run to the fishing spots in my 19' boat and sounds like it is less busy than Gold River.

Thanks guys,

Curtis

The road from Gold River to Moucha Bay is in great shape. I towed my 18 ft boat to Moutcha last week. Just be aware that there are a couple of significant hills, one an 18 percent grade that you will have to deal with. But at least that one is paved. Make sure your brakes are in good shape, take your time, and you will be fine.

Cheers,
Hud

Personally If you have a buddy with you I would dump in at Gold River early in the morning and run the boat down while someone drives the rig in to Moucha. Much easier to do and easier on equipment. It is a 15 detour from the Tahsis Rd down to the GR ramp all paved. It takes me 40 minutes by water from the ramp to Galiano Bay so add another 15 minutes to Moucha. Water before 9am is almost always flat. You can leave your trailer in a secured lot (for a daily rate) and save pulling it in and out as well.

I agree. I'd launch in GR and do as Pro says. That gravel is hard on equipment and you' sure to end up with dust all over your boat. Last week strangely the FN parking at the launch had low occupancy. Not sure about you but a successful trip has to start with a clean boat.

Back