Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

This from Westview marina:

Halibut fishing is great and in close. Right now there are major herring spawns from Flower rock, throughout the Nuchatlitz area, around Centre Island and all the way to Steamer Point.

There is no Commercial Herring Fishery this year because there is no Japanese market for the catch. A very sad situation for the Japanese people but a very good thing for the fish and sports fishermen. Feeder Salmon (12 pound to 20 pound) are abundant throughout the Esperanza Inlet and the Halibut have showed up in good numbers to feed on the spawning herring. The Prawning is over the top with an average of 75 per trap taken. Daily limit is 200 per day.

Great news on the expected Columbia River Fall Chinook return for this season. The total forecast from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is for a return of 760,000 fish. This forecast is 112,000 more Chinook than the actual 2010 return. This years return will be nearly 18% higher than last years returns which was one of the best returns since they started record keeping in 1948!

WHY is this important to the Esperanza Inlet Fishery? It is a matter of being at the right place. The migrating Columbia River fall Chinook come down the outside of West Coast Vancouver Island (WCVI). As they travel south they come off Brooks Peninsula in mid May travelling the 50 fathom line (250 – 300 feet). That line hits at the closest point after Brooks Peninsula on WCVI right outside Esperanza Inlet 5 to 8 miles out. Then as the fish move south they kick out much further to sea by Bajo Reef and tend to stay out on the 50 fathom line ( the highway) until they reach the turn for the Columbia River. That is why fishing south & north of Esperanza for south bound Chinook tend to be 15 – 30 miles out to sea.
So we are in the right place for easy access to the fish and this year’s run is huge. These fish often come right into the shoreline to feed and rest before continuing on the rest of their journey south. The majority of the return this year is projected to be 4 year olds (25-35 pounds). Limits are 2 per day and possession of 4 on the highway. The Columbia fish precede most of our Canadian returning fish. Columbia fish May 15 – July 15 with over lap of other stock June 15 – early September. This makes our local fishery a long and very productive season for Chinook.

Thanks for update Peahead. Sounds like its going to be an exceptional year. I was up last year the first week of August. It was the best I'd seen up there the three years I've been going. Sounds like it'll be even better this year. Gotta love Bajo.....

hey osama, you shoulda let me know you were up here dude...you past through the home towns of GWPD...:cool::D..holmes*

My feet didn't touch land buddy! Anchored the whole ****** time. 1 night in Queens Cove, 2 behind Catala and 2 offshore right on the highway in 50 fathoms.

PS - GWPG is playing on the beach here on June 18 for the Soulstice party. Gonna be a nut show. Get yer butt down here!

I'm gonna be back up that way on May 1 and may be into Gold River to unload fish so I'll come to your restaraunt if it happens.

Good Morning From Tahsis

Have been here since Monday not alot to report as far as Salmon but there have been some caught but mostly winters on the inside. Most people have focused on the fantastic prawning before the commercial guys got started on May 5th. For those with there own boats and a few charter operators who got out early mornings before it started to blow they were rewarded with limits of Halibut, Ling Cod and Snapper not far from the surf line. The weather hasnt been great but seems to be improving day by day. Have spent this week running back and forth to the lodge with boats etc as we prepare for our May 18th Season Opening using West View Marina in Tahsis as my home base. Everything here in Tahsis is ramping up as more and more people and summer staff arrive daily. When Im on the water in the Rodgers Boats I monitor channel 6 if you see me feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers MyEscape

Holmsey what are you doing up so late(3:49am) the game was long over,I guess you & the leftovers(Black Hacks) were crying over a pint watching the highlight reel of Henrietti bagging the winner!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all will provide more regular updates but the net is down at the lodge for another week. Hali fishing is amazing right now and you dont have to go far to find them they are just outside the surf line as are some nice springs. Although sockeye arent open seein lots of early returners jumpin on the inside. Just had three amazing sunny days. Gotta love living in paradise.........

Cheers Kevin

Kevin
I appreciate the fish smut. If you get a chance to post some fish **** that would help to keep the nipples erect until we get up there.
I'll be coming up on July 9th thru the 15th with a group of 27 (thats twenty seven). The only bad thing for you is that we are bring our own boats.
Maybe between you and Jim you can update Esperanza like holmes did for Nootka.
See you not soon enough.
Thanks
BS

Although sockeye arent open seein lots of early returners jumpin on the inside.

Hello MyEscape, I have fished up in Esperanza several times before usually in July-August. I'm curious about the sockeye you mention. I've not heard of this run before. Where do they spawn and why so early?

Some sockeye wind up in Zeballos river, some round Nootka for Gold/Muchalat lake and there is a good size run goes to a lake on Nootka Island near Brodick Cr.
Port Alberni has early run of Socks, they are there now. High cold water for early ones has them head straight through though.

Great news the season has just began and already nice size chinooks are being caught in all the regular spots including Ferrier where 5 nice springs came into the our dock today all over 20 lbs biggest @ 28 lbs..... Halibut and bottom fish are abundant with halis up to 70 lbs hanging in around the 150 ft mark so not to far out. As for those already booked with us BYOB or Guided cant wait to meet you this summer. For those with their own boats I will let you in on all the latest hot spots when you get here.

Cheers MyEscape
Living In Paradise

Thanks for the report ME. Keep them coming

Holms
Thanks for that info. By the way, which restaurant did you purchase? Like to stop by and spend some $$$.$$
BS

just thought i'd give anyone headed up this way this year or anytime, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BE SPEEDING on the gold river hiway, we have a young rcmp officer here who has/is issuing a TON of speeding tickets and coastline towing is getting a TON of business for impounds, im sure most will be towing boats so probably not an issue for most, most of us locals already know but i see a lot of out of towners getting burned as they have no idea, especially when he is hiding in the bushes on the gold river side straight stretches;), im not kidding, everytime i go out of town or return to town there is someone pulled over and/or a car on a tow truck, just a heads up:cool:...the rcmp as well as local council is trying to get the speed limit bumped up to 90 from 80 but seems it taking a while to achieve this....holmes*
Why are they towing so many?

Ah, ya the Cop that got me this spring in Sooke told me he could take my truck for a month, for going 30 over the posted limit.
Jeees, that reminded me, still gotta pay that fine!!

Happened to a buddy of mine as well. From what I remember once you exceed 30 over they can also site you for dangerous driving as well. That's why they can take the car.

i didnt purchase it, but it did change ownership, used to be called odika, but is now called donovans bistro, homestyle cuisine with a modern flare:D, appreciate the business, thanks for the update kev....holmes*

We ate at Odika last year on our way to Esperanza. Good food. Guess we'll try Donovon's this year. Close to the motel.

How's the fishing?

Just got back from first Hali trip of the year!!!!! We picked up a 65 and 40 in short order. In 45 minutes to be exact. We also caught a couple of yelloweye rockfish as well. A great day on the west coast. Looking forward to this up and coming season.

The Fishing Is Heating Up In Esperenza

RogersFishingPicsMay3111002.jpg

RogersFishingPicsMay3111012.jpg

RogersFishingPicsMay3111022.jpg

RogersFishingPicsMay3111001.jpg

Well its still early in the 2011 fishing season but already things are showing positive indicators of great fishing this year. This week low rock, pin rock, tahsis narrows and ferrier have all produced fish mostly in the mid teens to mid twenties however there are some bigger fish being caught to with the bait of choice being chovies in various teaser heads. Off shore is also producing salmon as well as halibut, ling cod red snapper and other bottom fish all in good numbers. Tachu Point Area just one spot to mention. Not many seals to be seen as a extremely large male transient killer whale his mate and two calves have been hanging around all the inlets taking care of things. The commercial prawning is still very active but will be coming to an end soon. Even with over 20 boats on the water compared to 4 to 6 boats in past years there is still lots of places to find these tasty critters. The weather has been sunny and warm most days with offshore fishing be reasonably flat till early afternoon. The road into Tahsis is in great shape thanks to daily grading but watch out for logging trucks and loose gravel on the corners.

Stop by and say hi or call me on channel 6

Cheers My Escape

ps Dont speed on the Campbell River to Gold River Highway or you will pay the price !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back