Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

THANKS to whomever made these area sticky's a go,just what this site needed!!!!! Planning 3 trips over the summer months,hope the fishing is all that everyone predicts it will be!!!

I'm heading over the 1st week of June for my 1st trip. Going for bottom fish then see what's around for springs... Can't wait. Hope the winds are good.

Cheers, Rob

First trip 18-21 July , staying at critter. 24 - 27 July in a yurt at moucha bay . 7-10 August back at moucha! I'll be in an old boston whaler 19 'revenge black trim , white boat , 150 Yamaha! Come by for a pop if you see me out there!!

Hey guys

A buddy of mine is heading over to Nootka for the long weekend with his dad. They have a 26' Grady but are interior guys who don't fish salmon much.

What can they expect for fish?? Any places they should check out (can PM me and the info will stay with us). Standard chovies and flasher or hootchies and spoons??

Thanks for any info in advance!!!

Cheers

SS

I'd also appreciate any early season tips!

3 buddies and I are heading out for a surf/camp/fish trip for the May long weekend coming up. We've done the trip a handful of times but never with a good fishing boat. We'll be camped at Skuna bay and running out from Camper Creek in a 20' thunder jet.

It would be sweet to have Hali dinner one night and salmon another. Any tips on spots this time of year either on the run out or a short run out from skuna would be much appreciated. I've heard Hali actually come right into the shallows of skuna.

Thanks,

Ap

Just went up over the weekend. Only really fished Sunday but got our two halibut, six lings, and our limit of prawns. Lots of prawns even with all the commercial pots.

Just went up over the weekend. Only really fished Sunday but got our two halibut, six lings, and our limit of prawns. Lots of prawns even with all the commercial pots.

I like the sound of that! The surf is looking pretty non existent so we'll likely be fishing a fair bit. What sort of depth do you find the prawns out there? Area?

Pretty pumped to get out there this weekend. Hitting the water at first light Friday.

Found this on facebook:

Fishing report for May 2014 from Nootka Marine Adventures

Salt Water

Fishing remains excellent from the light house at Friendly Cove to Maquinna Point, also Burdwood,
Escalante and when the weather permits Bajo Reef, with most of the Chinooks that we are catching
in the 12 to 20 pound range. A good percentage of them are clipped fish migrating south to Washington
and Oregon.

We are still using a combination of needle fish hootchies, four inch spoons and flasher with anchovies
mimicking the small needle fish they are primarily feeding on. We have been locating fish from 40 feet
in the mornings, down to 120 feet later in the afternoons. Find the bait balls and run your gear 10 to 20
feet above them.

Coho are starting to show up in solid numbers and are taking the same gear as the Chinook
and are found most consistently in the 45 to 65 foot range.

Bottom fishing opportunities remain strong with lots of good ling cod, yellow eye, and halibut coming
into the docks on daily basis. Most anglers have been bottom bouncing with larger baits and jigs,
(as well as sitting on the anchor just of areas with some structure waiting for fish to come to them well
searching for food).

Glow needle fish, and army truck cuttle fish hootchies, as well as the four inch cop car and live image
spoons all trolled behind flashers have been the hot ticket tackle choice for our guides the last couple
weeks. Anchovies with a six foot leader always a good bet as well. Try whole or cut plug herring ten feet
off the bottom when doing the slow troll for bottom fish.

Prawning and crabbing opportunities remain good all throughout Nootka Sound and Moutcha Bay.

Saanauk, were there many people up there this time of year other than the commercial guys?

No not very many other people besides the commercial guys. Maybe saw a dozen or so rec pots. It is a little tough to find a spot without commercial pots. We got one of our pots hung up on a commercial string that we could not pull up. Went back the next day and they were nice enough to seperate our gear from theirs. Even had some prawns in it.

Back