Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

With Critter Cove closed for the season, what other choices are there for moorage and/or accommodations for fishing Nootka Sound and offshore this weekend? Is there anything in Gold River? Nootka Sound Resort is closed and only Moucha Bay is open but its an extra 13 km ride inland. Tahsis is a long steam from Gold River and sounds like the road there is a little rough. Any thoughts or local knowledge would be appreciated. We are in a 27' boat and can sleep aboard but would prefer power and a protected dock - Moucha Bay will work for that, I guess. Would really prefer a lodge if there are any closer to the fishing grounds?

Flynn's Cove
http://www.nootka.ca/index.php

Take what you need for the trip and anchor in santa gertrudis cove. Protected, calm, and right next to friendly cove. Save your fuel, and fish 30 seconds from where you wake up.

Headed back up on Wed looks like the weather is going to change, any recent reports? any Tuna still around how far off shore? no live bait up there so it must be a troll for 1 or 2 then toss swimbaits and jig?

Thanks

Esperanza--Coho limits continue to be a day normal (4 per day) daily thing. Largest to date 18lb. average 12.5lb.
More coho over 15lb showed up last week. Looking for the 1st 20+lb Soon.
Anchovies & Coho Killers seem to be scoring best 25-40ft
Steamer Pt. to Centre Is. they are schooled up big time.
Some Chinook still being caught by trolling Deep mid channel 100ft with bait & 5in lures

Esperanza--Coho limits continue to be a day normal (4 per day) daily thing. Largest to date 18lb. average 12.5lb.
More coho over 15lb showed up last week. Looking for the 1st 20+lb Soon.
Anchovies & Coho Killers seem to be scoring best 25-40ft
Steamer Pt. to Centre Is. they are schooled up big time.
Some Chinook still being caught by trolling Deep mid channel 100ft with bait & 5in lures

Wow you really gotta stop exagerating it's the worst coho season around here in the last 8 years and more like a 6 pound average. Most boats are really struggling to get their limits and most don't. That's not just from our own boat's luck but from the over 30 boats we talked to in the last 2 weeks. Ya might see a couple nets out each morning and that is from steamer point to Center island...

I think the plan is to get you to head to Thasis.

I personally can't afford all the added expenses of fishing out of Tahsis. When fishing is good I'll stay where the fish are. I don't stay in Port Aberni when fishing Bamfield so why would I stay in Tahsis when fishing Nootka.

Next year we should have a thread regaurding fuel prices at remote locations around BC.

I fished out of Tahsis this year for the first time and I had a great trip and I liked Westview Marina and the accommodations etc..I plan to go back.The info from guides and fish on John was very helpful.We had a good dinner listening to live music from David Gogo it was like a twilight zone.My guests enjoyed it . My two bits worth

Just back from 3 1/2 days fishing at Esperanza - out of Rodger's Lodge. 8 guys, brought our own boats (x3). Worked hard every day - 10 hours on the water. Fished mostly in the inlet, around Double Island, Rosa, Centre Island - we were reluctant to go off shore as two of the boats were relatively small. My boat caught 5 coho - 10 - 12 lbs. Used pretty much everything in our tackle boxes. Other boats no better.
Very disappointing - during the same period last year with the same guys, same boats, same area - we limited out!

Just back from 3 1/2 days fishing at Esperanza - out of Rodger's Lodge. 8 guys, brought our own boats (x3). Worked hard every day - 10 hours on the water. Fished mostly in the inlet, around Double Island, Rosa, Centre Island - we were reluctant to go off shore as two of the boats were relatively small. My boat caught 5 coho - 10 - 12 lbs. Used pretty much everything in our tackle boxes. Other boats no better.
Very disappointing - during the same period last year with the same guys, same boats, same area - we limited out!

Well there you go "Fish on John", time to stop the BS....

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again all we can say is look at the web cam that is on our cleaning tables & the daily pictures being posted. It is what it is-
Still GREAT Coho fishing inside Esperanza Inlet--- Make it a Great Day!!

Once again all we can say is look at the web cam that is on our cleaning tables & the daily pictures being posted. It is what it is-
Still GREAT Coho fishing inside Esperanza Inlet--- Make it a Great Day!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA "GREAT" compared to what???

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to move the Vendetta guys-not even amusing anymore! Suppose theres no chance of kissing and making up-cause it'll be a long winter at this rate!!!LOL

Time to move the Vendetta guys-not even amusing anymore! Suppose theres no chance of kissing and making up-cause it'll be a long winter at this rate!!!LOL

If your friend FOJ would stop spamming this site with his BS reports trying to market his business over and over again, things would move on.

Maybe FOJ should move on...

My goodness the aggro and mud slinging is starting early this year - its not even winter yet. This is the reason many have stopped using this site.
h.e.h.

Back