Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

I just got home from Tahsis....... It was dead John and many people said it's been that way for days. I was at the "T" today and can honestly say it wasn't worth the time heading out there

All the people I spoke to said inside Nootka was where it was at. Way to long of a run to fish a Camel etc. from Tahsis. Best to stay in Nootka in my opinion.

Did hook into some white meat though. But even that was a long run from Tahsis :(

Why do things in Tahsis cost so much at the marina. I ran back out the inlet to the way cool gas station/camp to buy cheaper gas and a few other item.

Tahsis is a expensive place....... Bring lots of cash you might need it. Hope you don't though.

wait till your boat breaks down!!!
had family up there and same, no fish ghost town

Pretty remote part of the country to operate a business. There are incremental costs to run a business because of that. I am just happy they are there personally in case I need them.

this may have been asked before but not sure...
what can be expected to be around between the first and second week of sept? (esperanza and nootka) will the coho be inside then? any springs hanging around? also curious what the BSC is or stands for... location?
I'm heading back up around the 7th and just curious what I may find for fish...
thxs

hmm fished ferrer for 2 days, camped in mary basin was awesome, still Chinook held up in there, morning bite was hilarious 1st day we were only boat out there at 530am caught 6 fish 18lbs- 22lbs.... but landed none! we had 2 seals just follow us as soon as a fish was on bam! I lost 4 set ups and all the fish man I was pissed! in the old days I woulda shot the buggers lol anyway went and anchored up had lunch and a beer and returned for evening bite and we got our limit 26lbs was biggest and a coho. Next morning got our limit by 8am thanks to no freakin seals!

Anyone care to elaborate on what and where the BSC is?

I can't really say or give much info as I was sworn to secrecy when taken there my self. Its a glory hole off Nootka Island. We hammered it hard earlier this week and did really well. It was a really long run from Tahsis as you may know from some of my other posts. But after trying everywhere else, what did we have to lose. We bounced our balls all around it and picked up a variety of yummy treats. Hope to have the pleasure of going there again and giving it another pounding.

Albacore Tuna have lit up the fishing off Esperanza/Nootka. The tuna are stacked up at the inshore side of the Esperanza Canyon all the way into to nearly the hyw. Fish averaging 20lb with a few big guys in the low 30s lb. Lots of fun & lots of fish.
What a sea life show whales, sea lions, sunfish, porpoises, albatross & much more bring your camera when you go. These Tuna usually stay in the area until the 1st huge storms come in late September. "Fish On"
100_2297.jpg100_2298.jpg100_2301.jpg
TUNA FISHING IS NOT JUST FOR TUFF-GUYS!!
100_2305.jpg20140829_165242.jpg
Click Here to Check out our Live camera this afternoon for real time Tuna Results!!
or watch the latest Video Report From Esperanza and Nootka Sound! Spoiler - TUNA!!!

The Albacore Just keep coming in every Day. The calmer the outside waters the more boats that are out there. Today the fish are heading Past 141 up to the south Brooks buoy. 20 to 50 tuna on the cleaning tables daily. Depends on # of boats out there. Average 22lb.

Salmon fishing is a bit mixed up right now. That 30mm of rain a couple of days ago moved them off the normal catching spots. Seeing more Coho inside in Esperanza & a few more bright Chinook in the Coopte Pt. area. Things should settle out soon with the better weather mid week

COHO have moved into Esperanza Inlet in a BIG Way!!!
From Steamer point out they are thick. Coho killers ,Coyote Spoons & Anchovies are working well.
Trolling 30ft. & up. No need to go outside. A few nice Chinook being hooked while fishing for Coho.
Boats are leaving the Marina at 7am with 3 fishers aboard & at the cleaning tables limited by 11am. (12 Coho)
Fish are 9- 14lb with most in low teens.
No reports from Nootka, not many boats down that way recently. Any reports from Nootka???

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spent a week coho fishing Esperanza inlet and offshore. Worst coho year we've seen in the last 7 years. All the other boats were also struggling to find their limits with most boats averaging 2-4 coho per day

Thanks for an accurate report squid, I've heard the same from others . Unlike someone who says anything for business

With Critter Cove closed for the season, what other choices are there for moorage and/or accommodations for fishing Nootka Sound and offshore this weekend? Is there anything in Gold River? Nootka Sound Resort is closed and only Moucha Bay is open but its an extra 13 km ride inland. Tahsis is a long steam from Gold River and sounds like the road there is a little rough. Any thoughts or local knowledge would be appreciated. We are in a 27' boat and can sleep aboard but would prefer power and a protected dock - Moucha Bay will work for that, I guess. Would really prefer a lodge if there are any closer to the fishing grounds?

Back