Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Gill netters are just in front of and below Cougar Creek, not out to San Carlos as in previous years, so if the last opening is any indication, no apparent effect from Arganaut/Galiano out...Hoiss was especially hot all last week, long bites from first light and off and on all day. The Wall, 3 Bay, Camel, Burdwood, etc all producing but spotty, right place right time. Reef was pretty dead for salmon last week, no idea why. Ling and Hali good just about everywhere offshore.

Just got back from a nootka last nite. Fishing was good. Hoiss was producing lots of fish. Camel had a good bite if you where there at the right time. The commercial opening didn't really affect fishing much, lots of fish are still coming in. 50 ft anchovies and 5 in chrome and blue spoon took all our fish! Go get em!!

Gill nets open 8.0 hours, commencing 21:00 hours Wednesday, August 20, 2014 to
05:00 hours Thursday, August 21, 2014.

Fishing will occur in the following areas:

-in that portion of Subarea 25-4 northerly of a line beginning near Argonaut
Point at a point located at 49 degrees 43.211 minutes north and 126 degrees
29.498 minutes west then drawn easterly to a point located near the northern
entrance of Galliano Bay, located at 49 degrees 43.127 minutes North and 126
degrees 27.947 minutes West;

-and in that portion of Subarea 25-4 south-easterly of a line in Hisnit Inlet
beginning near the entrance to Valdes Bay, located at a point at 49 degrees
43.900 minutes north and 126 degrees 29.633 minutes west then drawn south-
westerly to the opposite shore to a point located at 49 degrees 43.710 minutes
North and 126 degrees 30.336 minutes West;

-and in that portion of Subarea 25-5 at the head of Tlupana Inlet southerly of
a line beginning near a point located at 49 degrees 46.768 minutes north and
126 degrees 28.827 minutes west then drawn easterly to the opposite shore to a
point located at 49 degrees 46.679 minutes North and 126 degrees 27.351 minutes
West;

-and in that portion of Subarea 25-5 westerly of a line in Nesook Bay beginning
at a point located at 49 degrees 46.209 minutes north and 126 degrees 24.997
minutes west then drawn southerly to the opposite shore to a point located at
49 degrees 45.590 minutes North and 126 degrees 25.009 minutes West.

The in-season terminal forecast, based on the recreational fishing CPUE index,
is 90,000 chinook. At this run-size, there are up to 44,972 chinook salmon
available as expected catch for harvest by Area D gillnets. The updated weekly
target catch for this second week's fishery is 15,740 pieces. The first two
evening fisheries catch totalled approximately 2,800 chinook salmon, with
sixteen vessels participating each evening.

This expected catch is not a TAC. Catch will be distributed over three
openings over three weeks, based on limiting the fishery to a 30% harvest rate
on the first week then increasing to 35% for each of the 2 remaining weeks.

On-grounds catch reporting by harvesters may be requested by Fisheries
Managers. Harvesters are reminded to report catch to the service provider
within 24 hours of completion of each daily harvest event or as soon as
practical with available communications. Catch should be reported for the full
8 hour daily opening rather than for separate calendar days.

The target species is Chinook; incidentally caught Coho and Chum may be
retained. Sockeye, pink and steelhead may not be retained.

The maximum gill net length is 183 meters (by agreement with the Area D Harvest
Committee). Maximum depth is 60 meshes, minimum mesh size is 171 mm, and
maximum hang ratio is 3:1, cork-line to web distance minimum 0 cm, maximum 2.0
m. Alaska Twist and or Multi-strand web may be used.

Variation Order No. 2014-Sal-25-GN-06

A recreational fleet is expected during daylight hours in Tlupana Inlet.
Fishermen are asked to minimize their wake when travelling. The gill net fleet
is also requested to mark nets with 5 additional white floats along the
corkline to increase the visibility of nets to passing vessels.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is interested in reports of sea turtles in BC
waters. By documenting sightings we are able to learn more about how, when,
and where these turtles are using our waters. If you see a sea turtle, please
call this toll-free phone number: 1-866-I SAW ONE (1-866-472-9663). Please
include information such as the type of sea turtle seen (i.e. leatherback), the
location, and time of sighting.

Fishers are requested to avoid fishing among birds and not to run the line if
birds are near the net. Fishers are requested to retain all dead birds which
are entangled and to release live and unharmed birds by placing them in the
water. Please check all birds for metal bird bands (rings) on the leg. If a
bird is banded please contact Laurie Wilson with the band number and capture
date and location at 1 866-431-2473 (BIRD) or by the email below. Handle birds
with gloves, double bag dead birds and label each bird with date, time, and
location and store them on ice.

Please call your local patrol vessel to organize pick-up or drop them off at a
local DFO office. Alternatively, please send photographs of birds with a
reference object such as a coin, and the date, time and location to
laurie.wilson@ec.gc.ca. Your names and vessel names do not need to be
identified or included.

The 24 hour toll-free phone-in line for fisheries notices is 1-866-431-3474.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Paul Preston, Resource Manager, Port Alberni (250) 720-4440

How many fish have been caught by the commercials on these openings? There should be some stats on the numbers by now. Does the Canuma hatchery have its count done yet? It would be interesting to know if they are at capacity and allowing the wild spawn to proceed. I believe that that the fish count last year was in excess of 15 K in the river alone.

Drewski

Just got back from fishing esperanza and staying at westview marina, was a great trip! Have nothing but good things to say about John and Cathy and how helpful their staff was while we were there. We had a slight mechanical issue on the second day, blew a alternator belt, they found a used one kicking around the shop and had new ones for me at my room that night when we got in! Never seen service like that in my life, never missed an hour of fishing!

Fishing was ok on the inside but we fished mostly offshore, second day we hit the chinooks big time, limited out in a couple hours with lots being released and a few coho. We limited out on Halibut from 45lbs to 20lbs easily in 2 days. Great trip, met lots of great people there, especially one guide Jerry who was one of the nicest and knowledgable guides i have ever met. He helped us out lots, and can contribute most of our success to him.

John was also a great help on showing us some charts of the area and showing us the hotspots we should try. We will definatley stay there again, was one off the best experiences we have had!

THanks for the reply John! Your in season reports are great! Even If im just a south islander trying to get intel :p Cheers and have a great rest of the season! Hope a few big hook nose come your way!

We ran anchovies mostly, purple haze teaser and flasher was the most productive for us by far, also caught springs on black/purple/green uv glow spoon as well. Depths ranged from 60ft-160ft, cohos were hitting consistent at 80-100ft and found the chinooks at 120-160ft.

Just got back a few days ago. I guess we were in the right place at the right time. Lots of boats and lots of action. Fished Camel in the mornings at about 50 ft depth, we all got our limits of springs, most of them about 20 lbs. Big chrome spoon, white hoochie and chovies, but the chovies took most of the fish. Awesome trip and great weather, wish I was still there but my boss won't give me that much time off

Spent the 20th-22nd at Critter Cove. Fished Hoiss Point and Camel Rock. Lots of action, most in the 50-70 foot depth on anchovies. Numerous fish in the 18-20 pound range. Also grabbed some coho. Awesome place out there!

Tuna? No talk or pictures of tuna. Anyone been out on the shelf fishing? Heading out Wednesday for a week.

Hello!! Been a little busy over the past week with the Salmon Enhancement Derby.
Her are my thoughts on several post:

YES, YES, YES - anchovies properly rigged will out fish most anything when trolling for salmon.
Yes there are times when the BITE is really on, when it does not matter what you are using- "JUST GET YOUR LINE IN THE WATER" I think that's where the line- SHUT UP & FISH- came from!!!!

Fishing the North side of Nootka Is.???
You know where I am so for us it's a function of weather/ wind & Who is in the boat.
We prefer the Esperanza side because there seem to be more opportunity on fresh fish. When was the last time you caught a clipped salmon in Nootka?? About 15% of Esperanza to the highway are still Hatchery clipped fish, with lots of Coho in the mix.
However if it gets to lumpy out there- a good day of fishing at Hoiss and Camel are still A GOOD DAY OF FISHING

Tuna, Tuna, Tuna
lots of talk but not much GO out of Area 25 & 26
The Albacore are out there but 45mi. offshore makes for a crazy day with little actual fishing time.
I know of 3 Nootka boats that went last wk. 3 boat, 9 fishers, 4 Tuna--- Not worth the effort!!!
This weeks temps, clori.& weather may be LOTS Better especially over the week end. The warm water is starting to move closer to the shore.

Derby Results: www.westviewmarina.com--- look at resources/newsletter -- 2014 Derby Results

I just got home from Tahsis....... It was dead John and many people said it's been that way for days. I was at the "T" today and can honestly say it wasn't worth the time heading out there

All the people I spoke to said inside Nootka was where it was at. Way to long of a run to fish a Camel etc. from Tahsis. Best to stay in Nootka in my opinion.

Did hook into some white meat though. But even that was a long run from Tahsis :(

Why do things in Tahsis cost so much at the marina. I ran back out the inlet to the way cool gas station/camp to buy cheaper gas and a few other item.

Tahsis is a expensive place....... Bring lots of cash you might need it. Hope you don't though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salmon fishing out on the highway and "the T" has been dead now for over a week according to our own fishing and everyone we talk to. Halibut action is decent though at the T and BSC

We dropped in on the BSC....Gave it a good pounding. Excellent spot to bounce ones balls. Picked up a nice one. Can't wait to get out there again a hammer the BSC once more.....

Back