Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

good report Directmule

Where did you fish?

We fished all over the inside but found the best area for us was from a small no name island off Bligh Island, just south of San Carlos Pt., around 250yds off the
island towards mid channel, trolling back inside to just past San Carlos Pt., then back out again to around 250yds off the south end of the no name island.
We picked up two 22+lbs and a 23 1/2lb in this area, also know of a few 25 to 28lbs from the same area. Hoiss Pt. was also good for mid to high 20lbs and I
saw one 33lb. come from bottom of Strange Island.

my father is at ferries right now and they fished Hoiss coopte camel and friendly. claims he only noticed one net come out over the two days they where there. all there fish came from around Hoiss. 3 springs 20-26lbs, lots of jack springs around friendly

first nite they where at hoiss and green hoochie out fished anchovy 7-0, next afternoon the hootchie lit up again with the 26

Coho ??

We fished all over the inside but found the best area for us was from a small no name island off Bligh Island, just south of San Carlos Pt., around 250yds off the
island towards mid channel, trolling back inside to just past San Carlos Pt., then back out again to around 250yds off the south end of the no name island.
We picked up two 22+lbs and a 23 1/2lb in this area, also know of a few 25 to 28lbs from the same area. Hoiss Pt. was also good for mid to high 20lbs and I
saw one 33lb. come from bottom of Strange Island.

Mule : Did you run into many coho ? Hoping to head up next week .

Cheers
Nook

Well its was are first time in Nootka!! I found best depths to start at was 35-40 on the DR, trolling a chrome blue/green anchovy special on longer leaders. For flashers any moon jelly or crushed ice reflective tape was working great.
just a side note. it was the wife's first time catching salmon and she was able to learn on a nice 22LB. her first was on a level wind and the rest was the knuckle buster, all with no problems!!
DSCN0570.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone have an idea when the best time might be to fish nootka for coho's? should they be fairly consistent beginning of sept?

anyone have an idea when the best time might be to fish nootka for coho's? should they be fairly consistent beginning of sept?
It is always hit or miss-they come in and mix with the chum. If there is a chum opening you can be pretty sure the coho are with them. Usually early to mid -September-seems strange to fish them among jumping chum -usually well away from the shore-in some instances!!

Just got back from Critter Cove early this morning. Overall great results. Inside fishing was productive. Hoiss to Coopte produced every day. Many fish were fresh (very silver). We didn't have a lot of luck at Camel or San Carlos compared to July or previous years I've fished there. As usual, we did not see any coho on the inside. We spent several hours yesterday on the south end of Bajo (only day we could get out due to weather) and did not get any springs. Had a few small coho we released and that was it. Bajo was not producing as well as it was in July....... at least yesterday. We fished 37-44 feet and got everything on chovy. Great luck off Burdwood for Halibut (chickens) yesterday morning. Sea state was great for drifting slowly as we fished 75-130 feet using Salmon bellies. DFO was out in force stopping and boarding boats up and down Tahsis inlet. We didn't get boarded but many did. I didn't notice any diff post commercial opening Wednesday night.

Made two trip early July and after August long weekend. Best fishing in three years of coming to Nootka. Love my new boat 05 Sea Sport 2700 Navigator with twin 150 yammies. Big thank you to Cam & Catherine at Critter Cove for their hospitality. Also thanks to some of the forum members for their dockside advice. Still learning but getting better. Till next year.

Hey guys, think about heading out to Nootka early next week. It's been a few years so I've got a couple questions. I'm thinking of staying at Cougar Creek but I've heard it's quite busy, can anyone confirm or deny this? Is there any way to reserve there or do you just show up? Any other reasonably priced accommodations in Nootka? Also, is it best to launch in Gold River or brave the road? Road conditions? How long is the boat ride from GR to Cougar Creek area? I've got a 21 foot striper. Thanks!

As far as I know, you can't reserve at Cougar Creek. Some say the road is great and some say its not. I only ever tried it once towing a 21 boat. $130 tire later, at the half way mark, i turned back a launched at gold river. In a striper, it will take you around 45 minutes or slightly longer from gold river to Cougar.

Personally, i would rather burn fuel than cover my boat in dust and beating on my trailer before fishing in it for a week. That's my 2 cents, I'm sure there will be varying opinions.

Your situation may differ if you don't stay on your boat and need a base camp.

We came out of Tuta Marine on the 12th of Aug, which is a few miles past Cougar Creek, the parking lot was not full but there were quite a few vehicles & trailers parked there and looking into the site, there were plenty of campers. The road was good from Gold River to the Cougar Creek/Tuta turn off, after that is was a little on the rough side but you just have to slow down a little. I took a Hewescraft 200 searunner with extended transom, over 22' and had no problem going in or coming out, and there were larger boats than ours going & coming from Tuta. Tuta has showers, some sites with water (not drinking), bait, ice and if you want a campfire..........even though there is/was a ban on them............you are on First Nation's Land..............somehow the rules don't apply to them. Camping at Tuta was $25.00 @ night and the fee for boat moorage was $1.25 / ft. but they do also have freezers for your fish. Gold River to Tuta is approx. 19.5miles and Cougar is a few miles more.

Thanks guys! I'm heading out to Nootka wed to fri this week.

I am going to Port Renfrew for Sept. long weekend with my youngest daughter. Where can I get shaved ice between North Van Hwy 1 to Horseshoe Bay Nanaimo then Duncan and Lake Cowichian road to Renfrew? $10.00 per five gallon pail at Pacific Gateway Marina in Renfrew is too steep.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada
HomePacific RegionFishery NoticesFishery Notice
Fishery Notice
Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject: FN0844-Salmon: Gill Net - Area D - Opening for Chinook in Area 25 - Tlupana Inlet

Gill nets open 8.0 hours, commencing 21:00 hours Tuesday, August 19, 2014 to
05:00 hours Wednesday, August 20, 2014.

Fishing will occur in the following areas;

in that portion of Subarea 25-4 northerly of a line beginning near Argonaut
Point at a point located at 49 degrees 43.211 minutes north and 126 degrees
29.498 minutes west then drawn easterly to a point located near the northern
entrance of Galliano Bay, located at 49 degrees 43.127 minutes North and 126
degrees 27.947 minutes West;

and in that portion of Subarea 25-4 south-easterly of a line in Hisnit Inlet
beginning near the entrance to Valdes Bay, located at a point at 49 degrees
43.900 minutes north and 126 degrees 29.633 minutes west then drawn south-
westerly to the opposite shore to a point located at 49 degrees 43.710 minutes
North and 126 degrees 30.336 minutes West;

and in that portion of Subarea 25-5 at the head of Tlupana Inlet southerly of a
line beginning near a point located at 49 degrees 46.768 minutes north and 126
degrees 28.827 minutes west then drawn easterly to the opposite shore to a
point located at 49 degrees 46.679 minutes North and 126 degrees 27.351 minutes
West;

and in that portion of Subarea 25-5 westerly of a line in Nesook Bay beginning
at a point located at 49 degrees 46.209 minutes north and 126 degrees 24.997
minutes west then drawn southerly to the opposite shore to a point located at
49 degrees 45.590 minutes North and 126 degrees 25.009 minutes West.

The in-season terminal forecast, based on the recreational fishing CPUE index,
is 90,000 chinook. At this run-size, there are up to 44,972 chinook salmon
available as expected catch for harvest by Area D gillnets. The updated weekly
target catch for the second week's fishery is 15,740 pieces.

This expected catch is not a TAC. Catch will be distributed over three
openings over three weeks, based on limiting the fishery to a 30% harvest rate
on the first week then increasing to 35% for each of the 2 remaining weeks.

On-grounds catch reporting by harvesters may be requested by Fisheries
Managers. Harvesters are reminded to report catch to the service provider
within 24 hours of completion of each daily harvest event. Catch should be
reported for the full 8 hour opening rather than for separate calendar days.

The target species is chinook; incidentally caught coho and chum may be
retained. Sockeye, pink and steelhead may not be retained.

The maximum gill net length is 183 meters (by agreement with the Area D Harvest
Committee). Maximum depth is 60 meshes, minimum mesh size is 171 mm, and
maximum hang ratio is 3:1, cork-line to web distance minimum 0 cm, maximum 2.0
m. Alaska Twist and or Multi-strand web may be used.

Variation Order No. 2014-Sal-25-GN-05

A large recreational fleet is expected during daylight hours in Tlupana Inlet.
Fishermen are asked to minimize their wake when travelling. The gill net fleet
is also requested to mark nets with 5 additional white floats along the
corkline to increase the visibility of nets to passing vessels.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is interested in reports of sea turtles in BC
waters. By documenting sightings we are able to learn more about how, when,
and where these turtles are using our waters. If you see a sea turtle, please
call this toll-free phone number: 1-866-I SAW ONE (1-866-472-9663). Please
include information such as the type of sea turtle seen (i.e. leatherback), the
location, and time of sighting.
Fishers are requested to avoid fishing among birds and not to run the line if
birds are near the net. Fishers are requested to retain all dead birds which
are entangled and to release live and unharmed birds by placing them in the
water. Please check all birds for metal bird bands (rings) on the leg. If a
bird is banded please contact Laurie Wilson with the band number and capture
date and location at 1 866-431-2473 (BIRD) or by the email below. Handle birds
with gloves, double bag dead birds and label each bird with date, time, and
location and store them on ice.

Please call your local patrol vessel to organize pick-up or drop them off at a
local DFO office. Alternatively, please send photographs of birds with a
reference object such as a coin, and the date, time and location to
laurie.wilson@ec.gc.ca. Your names and vessel names do not need to be
identified or included.

The 24 hour toll-free phone-in line for fisheries notices is 1-866-431-3474.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

Paul Preston, Resource Manager, Port Alberni (250) 720 4452

Any fishing reports lately, how did the last opening in Nootka affect the fishing?

Yeah I'm curious if these openings hurt the sport fishery pretty bad? I'm coming up for 3 days and would hate to miss out on the awesome fishing. Thanks!

Back