Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Sitting in the ferry to come home. Got to dollies monday night and hit a couple small coho inside the light house.

Tuesday we got our 4 Springs all from the wall to camel at 60' on the ball, with an anchovie. We ran spoons and hoochies at 44' and got nothing on that rod.

Wed we got 3 more springs from camel to the wall and went hali fishing with only a ling to take our jig.

Thursday we finished our 8th fish at the wall at 23lbs and headed to Critter for the evening.

Friday we toured around the islands and took tbe wife for a cruz up to Esperanza and got a small hali that we released to grow another year.

Went out this morning after a good sleep in and finished the trip with a 27lbs hali.

Springs seem deeper this year. Last year we killed at 33' & 44' with spoons. This year was anchovie in a glow green head, long 8' leader, and our maroon flasher that for some reason has always produced well on the inside.

First year with our new boat was a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Coachman. Nice Yamaha T8!
You met my cousin at Critter too. He really liked your boat.

Glad you had a great trip. Am going to miss not going this year.

Cheers!

Thanks. She performed great. We even chased down a seal with it and got to keep our fish. Thanks for a great deal on it. Much appreciated you bringing it down too..

Hopefully we'll see you there next year. Who was your cousin

He was moored right beside you in the new Campion 682 with Yamaha 300hp and T9.9.
They had an excellent fishing trip. Got their limit and lots released.
Sharp looking boat you got!

heading out from south delta today so pumped
would like to hear some more recent reports
will be fishing out of the ugliest double eagle out there , say hi if you see us

Gillnet opening

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=162229&ID=all

Gill nets open 8.0 hours, commencing 21:00 hours Tuesday, August 12, 2014 until
05:00 hours Wednesday, August 13, 2014.

Fishing will occur in the following areas;

-in that portion of Subarea 25-4 northerly of a line beginning near Argonaut
Point at a point located at 49 degrees 43.211 minutes north and 126 degrees
29.498 minutes west then drawn easterly to a point located near the northern
entrance of Galliano Bay, located at 49 degrees 43.127 minutes North and 126
degrees 27.947 minutes West;

-and in that portion of Subarea 25-4 south-easterly of a line in Hisnit Inlet
beginning near the entrance to Valdes Bay, located at a point at 49 degrees
43.900 minutes north and 126 degrees 29.633 minutes west then drawn south-
westerly to the opposite shore to a point located at 49 degrees 43.710 minutes
North and 126 degrees 30.336 minutes West;

-and in that portion of Subarea 25-5 at the head of Tlupana Inlet southerly of
a line beginning near a point located at 49 degrees 46.768 minutes north and
126 degrees 28.827 minutes west then drawn easterly to the opposite shore to a
point located at 49 degrees 46.679 minutes North and 126 degrees 27.351 minutes
West;

-and in that portion of Subarea 25-5 westerly of a line in Nesook Bay beginning
at a point located at 49 degrees 46.209 minutes north and 126 degrees 24.997
minutes west then drawn southerly to the opposite shore to a point located at
49 degrees 45.590 minutes North and 126 degrees 25.009 minutes West.

To date, the cumulative CPUE in the Nootka-Esperanza recreational fishery is
1.8, suggesting that the return of Conuma chinook is lower than the pre-season
forecast of 90,000. The updated in-season terminal forecast based on the CPUE
index is 60,000 chinook. At this run-size, there are up to 24,750 fish
available as expected catch for harvest by Area D gillnets.

This expected catch is not a TAC. Catch will be distributed over three
openings over three weeks, based on limiting the fishery to a 25 to 35% harvest
rate.

For this opening the target catch is 7,425 pieces; extensions to this opening
are possible if harvest rate is lower than expected. Extension could include
August 13 and 14 with the same times and harvest locations. On-grounds catch
reporting by harvesters is essential to Fisheries Managers in determining
extensions.

The target species is Chinook; incidentally caught Coho and Chum may be
retained. Sockeye, pink and steelhead may not be retained.

The maximum gill net length is 183 meters (by agreement with the Area D Harvest
Committee). Maximum depth is 60 meshes, minimum mesh size is 171 mm, and
maximum hang ratio is 3:1, cork-line to web distance minimum 0 cm, maximum 2.0
m. Alaska Twist and or Multi-strand web may be used.

Variation Order No. 2014-Sal-25-GN-01

A large recreational fleet is expected during daylight hours in Tlupana Inlet.
Fishermen are asked to minimize their wake when travelling. The gill net fleet
is also requested to mark nets with 5 additional white floats along the
corkline to increase the visibility of nets to passing vessels.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is interested in reports of sea turtles in BC
waters. By documenting sightings we are able to learn more about how, when,
and where these turtles are using our waters. If you see a sea turtle, please
call this toll-free phone number: 1-866-I SAW ONE (1-866-472-9663). Please
include information such as the type of sea turtle seen (i.e. leatherback), the
location, and time of sighting.
Fishers are requested to avoid fishing among birds and not to run the line if
birds are near the net. Fishers are requested to retain all dead birds which
are entangled and to release live and unharmed birds by placing them in the
water. Please check all birds for metal bird bands (rings) on the leg. If a
bird is banded please contact Laurie Wilson with the band number and capture
date and location at 1 866-431-2473 (BIRD) or by the email below. Handle birds
with gloves, double bag dead birds and label each bird with date, time, and
location and store them on ice.

Please call your local patrol vessel to organize pick-up or drop them off at a
local DFO office. Alternatively, please send photographs of birds with a
reference object such as a coin, and the date, time and location to
laurie.wilson@ec.gc.ca. Your names and vessel names do not need to be
identified or included.

The 24 hour toll-free phone-in line for fisheries notices is 1-866-431-3474.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Paul Preston, Resource Manager, Port Alberni (250) 720 4440

Tidal Shot, I would not trailer any boat along the tahsis road.

Why would you not tow your boat over the Gold river to Tahsis road ?
I have towed my 20 ft Trophy over that road for the last 8 years.
Never a problem ,sometimes dusty other times wet, soon as I get to tahsis I head to the boat launch and wash the road crap off the boat and trailer.

Average tow time is 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours each way.

Tow vehicle is a 2003 Ford Diesel 4x4

Cheers the road has gotten better each year

i trailered my 23' trophy in this July with no problems. road was in fantastic shape, i think my top speed hit 80km
give the grader dude a honk and wave :)

Well I guess it comes down to what you think is "good" and "bad" road conditions and what you are willing to put your trailer and boat through. At the beginning of the summer the road was in pretty good shape but its gotten worse over the summer. I trailered my boat from tahsis about 2 weeks ago and as far is im concerned it was terrible and I will never trailer my boat along there again. I think if you have a smaller boat on a single axle or light boat on a double axle its probably not too terrible but for me pulling over 7k lbs was not fun at all. The washboard sections are the worst. Again, comes down to opinion I guess.

I've travelled the road quite a bit in the last month and it is the worst I've ever seen it I wouldn't tow my boat again I will launch from Gold River

Enough of the "Road Reports" lets get back to the "Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Report"!!!
What is going on there lately???

Just got back from 10 days of fishing the Nootka area. Camel Rock seemed to be the hotspot most of the days, never fished it as combat fishing wasn't necessary for enjoying a day on the water though those that fished it definitely had some pretty big grins on the dock.

Earlier in the trip Bajo and closer to the highway was definitely the place to be if you found the fish. I fished anchovies naked most of the trip and out on the reef it seemed to keep pace with my friends who fished spoons and plugs, though big plugs definitely caught the biggest of the day, just not a lot of larger salmon showing up. Most of the fish were teeners or low to mid twenties. The best depth seemed to be 45 to 55 along the reef and deeper and deeper once you headed farther out. If you mark the fish farther out you had to work them from different angles to get some good action. The thing I liked about the fish on the outside was the incredible fight you received from these chrome fish. Later in the week the algae bloom moved in and the color of the water changed from that strange aqua blue to light brown and finally dark brown. Once the water went from light brown to dark brown the pickings were slim, and the constant cleaning of your lines from the brown sludge was frustrating when weather conditions turned rough. If the water clears up I am sure that this area will still produce some great days.

Fished Beano for some C&R on the way in from the reef and was rewarded with some spotty fishing but the great fights were always appreciated. The brown water had moved in for the last few days so I didn't give the area much of a go on Friday and Saturday.

Fished Burdwood a half a dozen times and the walls were a good place to be during some of the tide changes, not a lot of people fishing this area so it was fun to bait fish and let the fish run. 50 feet seemed to work close in and 70 to 80 farther out during the day.

Coopte/Salter came on fire one day with fish in the mid-twenties, however, the next two times I fished it on the tide change I ended up with a big fat zero. Picking your spot, working it hard and knowing when to give up, and of course toasting the fish gods seemed to be helpful throughout this trip. I guess lots of toasting seemed to be the order of the day whether or not you caught fish.

The most consistent fishing for our group was San Carlos, fishing the wall early and then moving out deeper as the sun came up proved to be a winner for us. Started fishing @ 15 feet in the morning dusk and was fishing at 100 feet by the time 10:30ish moved in. Keep staggering your depths as it was interesting watching the success on board change when depths were changed. The bigger fish were caught deeper and farther out after the sun came over the hills.

I don't think the commercial opening should hurt the fishing inside as they have moved the boundaries closer to Cougar Creek and most of the fish seem to be hanging out west of the boundaries. Friday and Saturday morning we watched some amazing schools of fish rolling out in the main channel and I marked a lot of fish from San Carlos and west.

Hope this helps, thanks to the folks at Critter who always are adding something new to the facilities, you gotta love the new docks and the fish cleaning station. As my friend continues to remind me "you won't catch anything on the dock so get your butt out there and make sure you take a kid or friend with you".

Let me know if I can give you folks some additional information.

Just got back from staying at TUTA and fished the 7-11, Tried Burdwood one morning for nothing so fished camel rk and the usual spots for the rest of the trip. Most fish were in the high teens to mid 20's managed a few pushing 30 but were getting dark so they went back in, my daughter caught a nice chrome 33 mid day out in the middle. On sunday we had 7 double headers and 2 triples for some excitement. Only used the net a few times for fish we were going to keep and tailed all the rest for release.

I asked ad I received, thanks Dan, Itchy and KCW.
Heading out there on Sunday for 10 days, really looking forward to this!!

A few pics

Just got home for 2 days so catching up on a few things. Fishing has been very good with lots of fish inside and at the Reef. Camel Rk and Hoiss have been very good. I got most of my fish at 75 feet once the sun comes up in the morning. Big schools of Sockeye on the Hwy when you find them.

I'm going to spend some time on the Hwy trying to find a few bigger fish. It's been hard to break the 30 pound mark so far. We only have 6 fish on the Tyee board at Nootka Lodge right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3448.jpg
    IMG_3448.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_3465.jpg
    IMG_3465.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_3480.jpg
    IMG_3480.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_3459.jpg
    IMG_3459.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,091
I just got back from a week at Tuta. The inside fishing was fantastic for springs in the teens to mid twenties. Nothing huge, but still a lot of good excitement. We got our limit with ease and released a lot of fish. On the downside we tried Burdwood with little success, and didn't do well on bottom fish. Lots of borderline/undersize lings and small snapper. Only hooked into 1 halibut and kept 1 good size ling. Prawn fishing also proved a waste of time. Apparently the commercial prawn fishery ran longer than usual this year and pretty much cleaned it out. We spent most of our time at Hoiss Point and Camel Rock, fishing white hootchies. They seemed to out fish anchovies for us.

We towed our boat to Tuta, and the road was fine as long as we took our time. Overall a great stay and we'll probably be back next year!

Only 330 sleeps til the next trip to Nootka.. :cool:

Got back late Tue. from another great trip from Nootka Sound. Limited out on springs, halibut & rock fish + 6 lings. Grandson was up for three days and went
home with his limit of springs, rock fish & 3 good size lings and one 87cm halibut, tried for a larger one but released two smaller ones. He had a 23 1/2lb spring as his largest and the wife managed two 22+lb springs as our largest.Spoons & hoochies worked but anchovies were the answer. Fished from 35 to 50 ft. but 42 to 47ft seemed to be the best. Couldn't tell you how many smaller legal fish we released but there were many.

We came back with two halibut in the 85-89cm range, one at 95cm and the other at 111cm..........all in the perfect chicken size for us. Halibut fishing was a little
different for us this year, used salmon belly but found out adding a half a herring to it worked better that just the salmon belly.

We stayed at Tuta Marine and the largest fish I heard about was a 33+lb spring with lots of mid 20lbs coming in to Tuta. I know of one boat that was there for
almost 4 weeks and had a total of over 140 salmon landed on his boat, he had different friends he took out and released the majority. He said it was the best
fishing trip he has had at Nootka.

We are also counting the days till next year, as we will return to Nootka Sound.

Back