Nootka reports

R

relics revenge

I know the Critter cove Jack and Jill derby was this past weekend any reports from there. As well has anyone left there boat at the compound at the Gold River boat launch for 4-5 days. How much does it cost any reports of theft or vandelism?[?]

Heard a 29.5 lber won the derby...didn't hear anything else

quote:Originally posted by relics revenge

I know the Critter cove Jack and Jill derby was this past weekend any reports from there. As well has anyone left there boat at the compound at the Gold River boat launch for 4-5 days. How much does it cost any reports of theft or vandelism?[?]

I wouldn't leave anything out, especially your downriggers! Things do have a tendency to disappear! Your gas might disappear, also! It's been awhile, but there is a place up the road toward Gold River that is fenced that I used in the past and they might be a better place to store a truck/trailer and boat... sure you can ask around to find it. We would call them when we got in and they would come and pick us up and worked well, with no problems of things "gone missing". I'm sure I still have their info down on the boat if you need it?

Any info would be great Charlie thanks. Did get a report from someone in the derby 29.5 won caught at Friendly. These 2 went 2 days limited on salmon plus one ugly and a 29 Hali. Not bad for 2 days. Hope this means a good year

Any info would be great Charlie thanks. Did get a report from someone in the derby 29.5 won caught at Friendly. These 2 went 2 days limited on salmon plus one ugly and a 29 Hali. Not bad for 2 days. Hope this means a good year

I'll be down to the boat this weekend... will look and see what info I have!

We launched at the Muchalat band site last Tuesday and were charged $10 for the launch and $8 per day to store the truck & trailer.Nothing missing on our return. Fishing was good at the Monument but only for about an hour at high slack. Lots of coho off Discovery point but they were all natural and one cannot legally retain them. We also tried Bajo reef but every time we put the lines down we would catch Sea Bass or small Ling cod.Any lure produced but the most successful was Purple Haze hootchie and Wonderbread spoon.
Good Luck!

Ribs specials wed and sat still? If i remember correct? I been craving a critter burger since last year!!!

Get Cameron to update the fish page! :D We all drool over the weights as we it comes closer to our time.

Get a burger ready, I'll see you in a couple of week's!

The Dom

Get Cameron to update the fish page! :D We all drool over the weights as we it comes closer to our time.

Get a burger ready, I'll see you in a couple of week's!

The Dom

I'm heading to Nootka for a week starting next Monday. See you at Critter, Holmes, look forward to those ribs and burgers. Hope you have some tofu ready for my vegetarian daughter. ;)

It sounds like the fishing has started to pick up, most excellent to hear.

Is the fishing more likely to focus on Friendly Cove and outside, or are there any fish in the Sound yet?

Any recommendations on tackle? I have a bunch of the usual (sooke) colours for anchovie heads and flashers. Will get the wonder bread spoon and more purple haze hootchies (thanks IP). Any other suggestions? Plugs? (what colour) Others?

Kind of intense putting together the logistics for this trip, whole bunch of people coming and going at different times, Critter Cove and camping, kids stuff, plus throw surfboards into the mix...it will be super once it's finally time to put the boat in the water and just go. One week and counting!

fishingportrenfrew.ca
fishingsooke.ca

I'm heading to Nootka for a week starting next Monday. See you at Critter, Holmes, look forward to those ribs and burgers. Hope you have some tofu ready for my vegetarian daughter. ;)

It sounds like the fishing has started to pick up, most excellent to hear.

Is the fishing more likely to focus on Friendly Cove and outside, or are there any fish in the Sound yet?

Any recommendations on tackle? I have a bunch of the usual (sooke) colours for anchovie heads and flashers. Will get the wonder bread spoon and more purple haze hootchies (thanks IP). Any other suggestions? Plugs? (what colour) Others?

Kind of intense putting together the logistics for this trip, whole bunch of people coming and going at different times, Critter Cove and camping, kids stuff, plus throw surfboards into the mix...it will be super once it's finally time to put the boat in the water and just go. One week and counting!

fishingportrenfrew.ca
fishingsooke.ca

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Okay... the first number I have is: 250-283-7349
I have a note in the file that the number is: 250-283-7553, so you might try the second number first? The only thing it says is: "boat/truck storage at Gold River".

I do know that we didn't have any problems and they picked us up at the launch!

Good Luck!

Hey Holmes heard you guys moved the fuel dock. Is everybody still OK to fuel up there or is it only guests?. Going to be a great year me thinks.

Hey Holmes heard you guys moved the fuel dock. Is everybody still OK to fuel up there or is it only guests?. Going to be a great year me thinks.

If I remember right from the newsletter they sent me, the big change is only to the guest at Critter. You can't charge the fuel to room bill anymore and they only accept cash at the gas dock. I think that was the same for all non guest last year.

This seems too good to be true...can you (or anyone else on this board) confirm that Critter takes credit cards from non-guests for fuel. Coming from Alberta this is a big issue as I'll need to carry a crazy amount of cash if he fantastic plastic dosen't work.

Is there fuel available anywhere else in Nootka? I seem to recall fuel at Friendly but that might be a mistake.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Zeke

From their newsletter: "The gas dock has been separated from Critter Cove. It now sits just in front of camp. Visa, M/C, and debit will be possible now, but gas charges to a room or slip will no longer be possible You'll pay for your gas when you fill up. Please do not rely on your credit cards. If the system goes down we are way down on the list for a service call, so please have some cash on hand."

And in answer to my question about what tackle to bring, they said their store sells all the hot gear, including bait. So there you go, another thing less to worry about.

fishingportrenfrew.ca
fishingsooke.ca

quote:Originally posted by Big Zeke

Is there fuel available anywhere else in Nootka? I seem to recall fuel at Friendly but that might be a mistake.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Zeke

Closest places that I know of are at Esperanza (cheapest) and Westview Marina (bring the Platinum Card!) in Tahsis. Also, there is Zeballos, but it is a longer run, right past the gas dock at Esperanza.

There is also Friendly Cove, but I do not know what hours he keeps and what time of the year he is open.

I understand that there is no gas available at the Gold River docks - unless you want to load your boat on the trailer and drive the 13 K into the PayLess in town.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

im planning a trip 1st week august, cc charges $30/nite for mooring. cost me $30 in fuel to run out there and ill get extra fishing time.
is the muchalat band site ramp in gold river near the mill?
has anyone anchored at bligh island? wheres the best place to drop anchor. im not doing cougar creek, bad roads,sleeping in overflo... :(

im out here now. gonna start my season tomorrow. Appearantly ferrer's been good at high slack in the afternoon. Its a bit slow at the light house and other local Nootka areas. A good place to anchor is in Dolly's cove, just north of friendly cove. Theres actually a dock there to tie up to.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Back