Nootka Report

quote: Got our limit and had to send some back so we didn't limit out to soon.

I think all he meant fellows was that the fishing was good so they released a few before they limited out to soon and they could keep some bigger fish.. I don't see how that is a bad move.. Why the mud flinging ???

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

quote: Got our limit and had to send some back so we didn't limit out to soon.

I think all he meant fellows was that the fishing was good so they released a few before they limited out to soon and they could keep some bigger fish.. I don't see how that is a bad move.. Why the mud flinging ???

For myself, if a person let's loose the little guys -immature blackmouth up to 6-10lbs, I'm OK with it, as long as they are not at one fish to limit out and are releasing a bunch of mature fish someone else won't have a chance at afterwards. On a seperate note, anyone using the BC Ferries to Nanaimo, one has just went down, better check your reservations, we lost ours!!

"Got our limit and had to send some back so we didn't limit out to soon"

The way he worded it made it sound like he had his limit already, than chucked a few back so he could keep fishing. If that is the case which I have seen done many times on this coast than yes that is mudflinging and if he was not meaning anything then my bad on the comment.

I assumed he meant he sent some back, meaning back home with wife, friend etc. - this happens a lot!! especially from those *****s who sit at cougar creek for 2 weeks at a time.

If you simply meant releasing fish, well thats a different story.

Didn't mean to stir everyone up boys. We released a few around the 10-14 pound range after my dad and I had caught 2 springs. We were going to be staying there for five days and caught our 2 each on the first day after about 3hrs fishing. Any smaller fish we carefully let go so that we wouldn't get to our limit too soon and could continue to enjoy our trip. I didn't send any home with my wife or other members. If anything I'm on the side of conservation. We had a 14 pounder that we kept because the hook was set right through its eye, and knew it wouldn't survrive. poor choice of wording I guess.
I have an 11 month old baby that i intend on taking fishing when she's old enough, and I'm not about make few SH**** decisions to help injure a stock.

Thats what I got from you're story duck,,, and again good job...

Thanks for working on keeping everyone honest guys, even though I did take a beating.:D

Thanks for working on keeping everyone honest guys, even though I did take a beating.:D

went to nootka aug 2 - 4 fishing was good all over.hooked a 25 lb outside of the lighthouse first night on cut plug.Hurt my back the next day and fished the rest of the time around Camel Rock wimpering in pain. Got 2 more there on purple haze hoochie / green flasher.weather was hot .my partner got on a charter for the day and went out to the highway they got a 72 lb hali and 45 lb ling along with a bunch of snapper, rough ride out there so glad i stayed inside . another great time in Nootka.

Just got back from Nootka and would like to thank the Wild One and Hoop for another great trip.. Lots of fish around which is a good sign for years to come, hopefully ??

Here is my "1st time in Nootka" report. Aug 5-9.
Sunday pm: lost one at Camel Rock, one other hit, saw about 6 boated.
Monday am: trolled the shore from boundary to Burdwood. Released a 10 pounder in the first few minutes. One other good hit, just chinook shakers after that. Saw several nice ones caught.
Monday pm: zip at a few inside spots, not much happening for others either.
Tuesday am: back to Burdwood, many shakers, kept one about 7 pounds, getting desperate. lunch at Friendly Cove (chips, chocolate, and pop) trolled around the lighthouse, more undersized springs.
Tuesday afternoon: back to Burdwood Bay for a nap on the beach (one benefit of an 11 foot boat is beachability)
Tuesday pm: completely dead at Burdwood, tried way up inside by Moutcha just before the gillnet opening at 9pm, I got none but others got a few.
My idea of getting to know one area well persisted, plus there was the net opening inside so I figured I had to get out farther again so:
Wednesday am: Burdwood, nothing but shakers, but found out it was hot the night before just after I left. Tried at the Lighthouse, but the bite was over before I got there.
Wednesday pm: Hoiss Point (campground neighbours got 4 there in the morning). Got a spectacular double header right off the point. Gong show fishing solo, but got the first one in quite quickly (20 lbs) and then started to work on the second one. Managed to clear the fish and hooks from the net, get the riggers up and land the second fish (32 lbs).
Thursday am: back to Hoiss finished my limit with an 18lb.
Tried many different set ups based on this thread and other tips and advise and here is what I found.
Coyotes = shakers
Long leaders during slow fishing did not work for me.
Best setup was a #500(blue glow) Krippled helmet 4 foot leader behind a red glow flasher. (18 + 32) on this
Next best setup was a gold chrome Krippled holder, 4 foot leader with a gold betsy flasher. (20 + 2 other hookups on this).
Most of my other holders are Rhys Davis, but I didn't get any keepers on a variety of setups.

It seemed that you had to put in time and be there when a spurt of fish showed up. I would say it was slower than I anticipated, but that double-header made for a great fishing memory for me.

Had a great time at Moutcha Bay, not very much farther than Cougar from the main spots, road was excellent. I'll be back next year.
If you read this far, I hope it is helpful to any other first timers.

Thanks Tubber, Your first timer report was fantastic. I'll be there for 4 days starting on Wednesday the 22nd. really looking forward to it. Whne you say that you stayed at Moutch Bay, is that the Tuta Marina campground? Did they have electrical hookups for campers?

http://www.moutchabay.com/

It is on the road to Tahsis. Keep going past the turn off to Cougar/Tuta. They have power(generator from 8:00am to 8:00pm), ice, showers, freezers, moorage, launch, bait and fuel. If you go to Google Earth, you should be able to see it next to the mouth of the Conuma River way up inside Tlupana Inlet. You probably need to phone to be sure of a spot. Campsite is kind of rough, gravelly, but it worked for me.

good luck

Back