Nootka Report

I say good for you Barbender, I support you all the way. I don't want to p*** on the parade however, many of our stocks, especially some of the bottom fish species are in real danger of being overfished. Most people don't realize that some of the bottom species don't reach sexual maturity for decades. I believe our limits are overly generous on many species and "limiting the catch, not catching the limit" may have to be enforced by decreasing the limit. Non-residents fishing in Alaska are allowing only one spring a day, no one seemed to be too concerned. There are also slot limits for halibut, again, no one seemed to be complaining. I have had the opportunity over the last 25 years to fish the West Coast from Alaska to Vancouver and I have to say that I am really concerned with the fish stocks. Fishing is an evolution (of which we all go through), that is from catching a fish, to catching your limit to catching your limit with lots of fish, to catching a variety of fish to catching big fish to catching big fish with different tackle to catching "Walter" to catching and releasing "Walter". We are going to speed up the evolution or we will be forced to limits that new fisherpeople will not be interested in.
Just my two cents, I am not bashing anyone, just the system that we see to be stuck in.
Cheers
Itchy Scratchy.

Hey, ItchyScratchy.

Well put, and welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here myself, it's a great board.

Is it not Provincial? I think you can show up whenever (I might be wrong), but too late might not be nice for your neighbors.

It is a forestry campground.The guy that runs it name is Dick and yes the gates close at 11pm and open at 7am.People are coming and going so you can usually get a site.Have fun[8D].

Mike

Thanks for the info...I'll be there on fri aft hopefully...Come say hi i'm the one with the yellow double eagle

Just returned from Critter Cove. Great place and the fishing is great inside. We ended up keeping 21,22,27,32. My wife got the 32lb.
Lost lots and released a few coho's. Good luck to all going there.:D

Fishing is on fire! lots of fish on the inside and limits for everyone, halibut is still abundant. and one only need travel 5 miles for good size Butts. Give Hoiss point lodge a call. there are some dates avalible for rooms and for a guided stay as well. Aug 9 -15 there is avaliblity.

www.hoisspoint.com

or email me, morninchubby@hotmail.com and leave a return number.

Just got back from Nootka. 1st time there for me, beautiful area. Got my biggest fish ever, 28 lb spring.

Cougar Creek looked horrible, very full although they were squeezing more people into the parking area. We didn't camp there, just drove a few more km to Tuta campground. Luckily there was some room there. Way nicer, big well treed campsites and great people. Many thanks to Larry for getting me into that big spring.

I don't understand why so many crowd into Cougar Creek. It's a long way from being a relaxing wilderness fishing experience in there. There are other options, even boat camping on 1 of the many islands would be better.

Dman, we stayed two nights, fished all of wednesday and thursday morning. My wife got the 32 just as were thinking of heading out.

Thanks! You gotta love those last minute fish. That's the way our last trip up there was also. Not many fish for three days, then the last day we hit five, including my wife's tyee, biggest fish out of our group of six. Appreciate the info..

The best part was all our fish were caught out of the crowds. We trolled with them for awhile but headed off to the next point and bang-fish-on:D. Worked out great because having my 10 and 12 year olds bring in mid 20 fish, we needed the space.Now they are all hooked on going back next year which puts a smile on my face.

For anyone heading that way, we trolled 36-40 feet down, using green hotspot flashers and anchovies. On the gps we travelled between 2.8-3.2 mph. Others may have better luck with different combinations but thats what worked for us.
In the mornings we have always fished the Critter Cove side, anywhere from the Hisnet(across from couger creek) to Hois Point. Afternoons around Camel rock side.
Tight lines to all and good luck.

We had our best success from 42-47ft with this setup.Green hotspot flasher and the glow white krippled anchovy head with about 6-8ft leader,it was killing them.We were trollling at around 1.9-2.0knots on the gps.

I agree jonz. We did the same thing, I just got back from a trip to Nootkas for the first time with my dad. Showed up on Friday night @ Cougar Creek. What a zoo. Did the same thing and stayed at Tuta. larry and the people were great. Campsite was a little haywire but it was all there. Really enjoyed it, We'll definately be back next summaer. Got our limit and had to send some back so we didn't limit out to soon. I was quite shocked by the number of other boaters though. Still lot's of room though. Had a great time!
quote:Originally posted by jonz

Just got back from Nootka. 1st time there for me, beautiful area. Got my biggest fish ever, 28 lb spring.

Cougar Creek looked horrible, very full although they were squeezing more people into the parking area. We didn't camp there, just drove a few more km to Tuta campground. Luckily there was some room there. Way nicer, big well treed campsites and great people. Many thanks to Larry for getting me into that big spring.

I don't understand why so many crowd into Cougar Creek. It's a long way from being a relaxing wilderness fishing experience in there. There are other options, even boat camping on 1 of the many islands would be better.

Thanks for all the updates guys. Sounds like the fishing is a little better than the last couple of years.:D Can't wait to get up there again this year. What you running dman? We get there day after you and staying at tuta for a week. Lil Dawg is our ride. Maybe see ya up there.

Originally posted by blindpig69

Thanks for all the updates guys. Sounds like the fishing is a little better than the last couple of years.:D Can't wait to get up there again this year. What you running dman? We get there day after you and staying at tuta for a week. Lil Dawg is our ride. Maybe see ya up there.
[/quote
We run a 21' Custom Weld Storm, Burgundy with 'Sandyman' on the side. Likely hear us before you see us w/ 350 Kodiak Vortec.

Back