Nootka Report

Tide Up:
Yes the regulars were all producing, even the kelp beds between Maquinna and Beano were holding some suprises.
Later in the year try Birdwood as the fish will sometimes hold up there for a few weeks before venturing up the channel.
The weather was really tough when we were there so we did make it out to Bajo but not the highway, I did hear that the highway is producing however.
ItchyScratchy

By needlefish pattern do you me streamer flies? I am tieing a bunch up for a trip out that way in size #2,4 and #6. Are these small enough?
quote:Originally posted by ItchyScratchy

Got out of Nootka on Saturday and again enjoyed the area. I have been fishing Nootka for about 20 years and it never seems to amaze me that just when you think you have everything "dialed in" it all changes again.
I alway enjoy cutplugging, however, this year I ran out of firecrackers half way through the week (I guess that was a good problem to have) and I had to switch to larger herring (which was sporatic) and then I decided just to experiment for the last few days as I had two fish in the cooler and I really didn't need anymore.
This is where the fun begins, not only did I try different artificial baits and combinations, I also tried different areas that had looked "fishy" during some of my previous visits.
The biggest discoveries were: bigger baits give you bigger coho, however bigger baits do not necessarily give you bigger chinook. I caught some high twenty chinooks on some very small needlefish patterns pulled through the water at fast speeds (up to 3.2 mph).
I also caught fish by being really agressive with the depth sounder. If I marked fish at 50 feet I would lower the wire and spin around and sometimes hookup, and if I made a couple of passes and marked fish at 20 I would repeat the process. It was suprising how you would hookup fish at 130, then 50, then 80 all within the same area.
I would also recommend bouncing your downrigger ball off the bottom (of a flat area!!) as it seems the halibut were where you found them, that is, I caught halis in 55 feet of water and deeper.
All the fishing I did was outside the lighthouse, however, I think the results would probably be the same inside as well.
I just received a call from my friend that guides out of Nootka and he tells me things are just getting better and better with lots of fish on the inside and outside.
If you have any other questions just post them here and I will try and respond.
Cheers
ItchyScratchy

Kippersnack a needle fish hootchie patern is the same length as a normal hootchie or octopus patern (same thing) about 4 1/4 the needle fish patern is alot narrower than the octopus they are straight with no contours they do work very well. Go into your favorite tackle shop they'll have some.

Just got back from Nootka late Friday night.The weather was sort of half and half.Fishing was good out at Birdwood we managed a 31 lb and a couple fish in the teens.Lots of wild coho which kept us busy on the rods and all got released at the boat.The rain really seemed to push the fish through.A 250lb halibut was caught while we were there.We ended up bringing 8 springs home and our share of mosquito bites.My wife had a great time catching her first 30+lb fish and I believe is now hooked[8D][8D]

Mike

just returned from nootka on friday night we fished esperanza and the highway. brought back 20 20 22 22 24 24 25 25 28 springs and a variety of coho ranging from 6 to 14 lbs. several yelloweye. fished out at ferrier pt southwest side in 92 ft of water with anchovy's. I had a blast we stayed in Tahsis. only problem is everything closes so early. we would return at 8 pm to find the whole town shut down.

When trolling it is obvious that washington boats just don't get it. they cut you off they fish close to you and there is no respect. not once did we ever see a bc boat in our way or not being clear as to which way they wanted to turn. being from washington I can't believe how stupid some of these guys are. the highway was a blast (minus the sick wifes) had a great trip I will try to get some pic's together when I can.

thanks to Canada and all the great skippers.

I also just returned from the north end of Nootka on Friday night. 3 days fishing yielded in the box 9 kings in the 20-25 # range, plus a number of inadvertant near catch and release kings, plus a number of 7-9 # coho. We fished Ferrer during the AM hours and had our success there, and because we were staying nearby, we fished Rosa in the evenings. I think we might have been a tad early, but we still enjoyed our trip out.

We stayed at a great new place just south of Center Island called Flynn's Cove (http://www.nootka.ca/) which worked out well for us in saving fuel costs and run time from Tahsis.

DAJ

Any word on where that 250lb'er was caught? Thats a HOG!!! Be neat to see that for sure!

I believe it was caught out on the reef 25 miles out I have some pictures I will try to post.

Mike

oguard

Here is the picture I hope.

Mike

Wow that is a big fish.... neat pictures! 25miles out eh!
Derek017.jpg

Posted it for ya oguard... thanks for the pics!

Here is a couple of fish the wife caught and one that broke her knuckle. [}:)] Weight in at 31 lbs!!!!

Derek008.jpg

Her first westcoast salmon

Derek005.jpg

Looks like Cougar Creek! Nice fish, glad to hear you did well... Didn't know there was a 25mile reef either until you mentioned it.... gonna have to study some charts :D I wanna hali like that [:p]

The only problem with a hali that size is the meat isn't that good,but a great trophy[8D].

Mike

I was there when they caught that halibut. They did it for "bragging rights" because we all know you cant release a fish that big. I was a little disappointed. The other issue I had up there was our friends from the south with their stupid generators running all day powering the freezers. We had to ask them to shut them off while we ate dinnner. A total lack of consideration. Anyway dont want to get in a pissing match but you can see where stereotypes come from.

quote: I was there when they caught that halibut. They did it for "bragging rights" because we all know you cant release a fish that big

Huhhhh I don't get that one... Don't we all want the big one for bragging rites....

Back