Nootka area accommodations

islandergold

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may have seen my prior thread. We're planning a 10 day trip to the Nootka and Kyuquot area for the second week of July. Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodations on the cheaper side of things? Everything seem to be part of a lodge where they want $260+ per person per night just for accommodations. For 3 of us that adds up for a single nights stay. We don't need dinner, wine, lodge extras, etc. only looking for basic accommodations - bed, shower.

Any suggestions from folks that have been up there before?

Second question - by 2nd week of July will we most likely want to be running offshore or are the fish usually inside by then? This plays into where we may stay.

Thanks
Tim

I think you will be hard pressed to find much for accommodations booking this late, but I have stayed here http://nootkarentals.com/ 4 of us split $500 a night for a few nights. It was just accommodations but nice ones, and close to the grounds. We now stay at nootka lodge across the bay from them. Its $250 a night per person if you bring your own boat, but they feed you a big breakfast, pack you a huge lunch and cook wicked dinners ( think t bone steaks, hali, chicken Oscar). For us its a no brainer.

You wont find many fish inside second week of july. There may be some though. However there should be fish just outside the sound at the momunment burwood, lighthouse etc.

You ,might have to take what you can get- if you can get anything.
We usually camp at Moutcha bay . Tried to book a site about 2 months ago for aug 9-12 with moorage, they were all booked up. We are staying in Tahsis this year at one of Westviews places

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may have seen my prior thread. We're planning a 10 day trip to the Nootka and Kyuquot area for the second week of July. Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodations on the cheaper side of things? Everything seem to be part of a lodge where they want $260+ per person per night just for accommodations. For 3 of us that adds up for a single nights stay. We don't need dinner, wine, lodge extras, etc. only looking for basic accommodations - bed, shower.

Any suggestions from folks that have been up there before?

Second question - by 2nd week of July will we most likely want to be running offshore or are the fish usually inside by then? This plays into where we may stay.

Thanks
Tim
Tim, don't know if you've found lodging yet, but I was just on the www.nootkarentals.com website and they have openings in one of their houses for the second week of July. It's an ideal location if you're planning to go out to the highway and the price is fair.

Thanks Tailwalker. I actually sent them a message a few days ago and they're not sure they can accommodate a 28ft boat. Waiting to hear back on whether they can or not. Appreciate the heads-up.

Westview Marina in Tahsis has everything. All different kinds of accomos. Dock, moorage and gas. Equidistant to Esperanza or Nootka sounds.

HOW TOUGH ARE YOU?????

If you are looking for primitive camping, and can launch your boat at Gold River and have someone else drive the truck around, Larry and Shirley Andrews runs Tuta Marina on Hanna Channel, right across from Bligh Island.

I have not stayed there for a few years as we have gotten spoiled and have camped at Moutcha Bay, which is a top notch resort.

For Tuta Marina, you really cannot trailer anything over 18 foot safely, as you are driving over Gravel from Cougar Creek on some tough logging roads. I have had to put it in 4 x 4 getting through the "pass" due to loose gravel, and the hair pin curve before the grade which does not let you get any speed up.

Larry and Shirley are both getting older, but their heart has been in the right place. They will try and help you out if you have problems with anything, being equipment or fishing.

The showers have improved over the years, and the camping spots have gotten much better from the 1990's. Docks can be a bit rough at times, and I have had issues with the common freezers for your fish when guys are bringing in a lot of fish and the freezers are being opened every 5 minutes.

Fuel at Critter Cove or at Moutcha Bay, so take a few extra jerry cans. Location advantage is you are around the corner from the outside.

There is a mid July run of Springs going to a creek near Gold River (name slips me right now - Scotch Creek????) and with the winds in late July last few years, it can be pretty hit and miss on the inside. Some people swear by the Thasis inlet before it closes in July, and sometimes some nice fish get caught. Where these early fish are heading I do not know.

However, in mid July there are still Columbia River fish going by, and sometimes big ones. Pick your day, watch the weather and good luck.

Drewski

I'm there that week as well. Good luck. If you need info I'm happy to help out. Look for a Grady with the black bull on it.

Back