Nog's Needle Question?

I think fishtofino fishes dummies above-maybe he'll chime in-interesting topic.

Yes, i use a 6 - 8 ft length of tuna cord to a flasher and attach it with a release snap about 6 to 8 ft above the spoon. When i get a fish on i just unsnap the flasher rig off the downrigger when it gets to the boat while the client is playing the fish.

That spoon works great at 2.4 nm/hr as that's what i troll at most of the time. At that speed i can fish anything on the other side and usually fish anchovy on a 5 to 7 ft leader depending on the season.

Just curious on the flasher setup. Do you have the flasher hooked up to a rod so that you can bring it back up. If so, do you ever put a lure behind the (dummy) flasher or does this entice more tangles than it is worth. Does the spoon underneath ever get tangled with the dummy flasher and lastly, how deep can you fish this setup. I know so many questions. Sorry.

Just curious on the flasher setup. Do you have the flasher hooked up to a rod so that you can bring it back up. If so, do you ever put a lure behind the (dummy) flasher or does this entice more tangles than it is worth. Does the spoon underneath ever get tangled with the dummy flasher and lastly, how deep can you fish this setup. I know so many questions. Sorry.
Book a charter and i'll show you, lol

For all we know, maybe having the flasher below works just as well. Having it above also makes checking lines more difficult or higher maintenance. So keep that in mind..
IMO, He doesn't have to tell him everything :) Worked hard to find something that works best (in his opinion), for him. That takes a lot of time and effort. To each their own however! I don't mind sharing stuff, but then again I don't really have any super secret methods of pure mastery in my fishing skill-set :rolleyes:

Using a modified version of this, with one clip changed out in favour of some braid/gangion, snaps and swivel to a flasher (so it is secured to the downrigger line with swivels and would slide freely on release with the main quick-release) - for a 'flasher above lure' config would make sense to me:

big1176_PGP_Stacker.gif

Pretty efficient really-you could stack 2 lines with the dummy in the middle-pretty interesting!! I could make that work!

if you want to solve your dummy flasher tangle possibility, just run a rotating flasher instead of a revolving flasher on your lead. They are low drag and don't produce the big revolving arch. I use 80lb test leader and its 6' from flasher to clip. My lure is 4' above the dummy flasher and 15' back. Speed to rotate isn't that critical due the rotating flasher design. For coho I sometimes stick a lure between 2 of them. Winter springs I run one on the lead and a standard Hot spot 4' above with my lure and 10'-14' back. I like the Dees Diamond Flashers.

"Book a charter and i'll show you, lol"

Awesome reply!! One of the best parts about chartering with experienced skippers - lots of tips and tricks to learn that consistently put fish in the boat.

I know most of us appreciate all of the tips experienced guides like Nog and FishTofino have shared with all of us on here over the years.

Cheers!

Ukee

ive been having great results with the henry danger. will be givin a few of the others a test today, I fish them with no flasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back