NOAA Proposes Rule to Reduce Charter Halibut Catch

Sushihunter

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20081222_halibut.html

NOAA Proposes Rule to Reduce Charter Halibut Catch
December 22, 2008

Pacific halibut.

NOAA today proposed reducing the number of halibut that charter vessel anglers in southeast Alaska can keep, from two each day to one.

“Sport charter fishing has grown in southeast Alaska while halibut abundance has decreased,” said Doug Mecum, NOAA’s Fisheries Service acting regional administrator for Alaska. "We’re proposing to reduce the charter halibut catch to protect the halibut resource."

The proposed rule, which would take effect this spring, would allow each charter vessel client to use only one fishing line, and no more than six lines targeting halibut would be allowed on a charter vessel at one time. The rule would prohibit guides and crew from catching and retaining halibut while charter halibut clients are on board.

NOAA’s Fisheries Service put a similar rule in place last spring, but sport charter halibut operators challenged it on procedural grounds and the agency withdrew the rule.

Public comment on the proposed rule is open through Jan. 21, 2009. After considering public comment, NOAA expects to publish a final rule in the spring of 2009. To read the proposed rule and see how to submit comments, go to the NOAA Marine Fisheries Service Alaska Regional Office Web site.

http://www.alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/

http://www.alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/prules/73fr78276.pdf

Charter halibut operators in southeast Alaska waters have exceeded their guideline harvest level of 1.43 million pounds for the past four years. The actual sport charter harvest was 1.75 million pounds in 2004, 1.95 million pounds in 2005, 1.86 million pounds in 2006, and 1.92 million pounds in 2007. The guideline harvest level dropped to 0.93 million pounds for 2008. Managers expect that it will have been exceeded for 2008 when the harvest numbers are final.

The International Pacific Halibut Commission, with representatives from the U.S. and Canada, annually estimates halibut abundance in each halibut fishing area along the Pacific Coast. NOAA’s Fisheries Service, in cooperation with the North Pacific Fishery Management Council, establishes the charter vessel guideline harvest levels based on the commission’s abundance estimates.

The commission annually establishes the commercial halibut fishery catch limits in each area, taking into account charter vessel harvests and other sources of halibut mortality in order to protect the halibut resource from overharvest.

The commission has reduced the commercial halibut catch in southeast Alaska from nearly 11 million pounds annually between 2004 and 2006 to just over six million pounds for 2008. The final commercial harvest level for 2009, proposed at four and a half million pounds, will be set by the International Pacific Halibut Commission in January.

NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth's environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages our coastal and marine resources.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Change was promised and it's going to hurt. I wouldn't pay for a charter to catch one Halibut. These fisherman save their hard earned money to pay for air fare, lodging and out of state tags and licenses. BO is what America elected and they will get plenty of it. The new administration has appointed a person to head NOAA that will lock up many areas of the Pacific Ocean. Sport fishing as we know it is history and it will turn a corner. A sharp turn is what many expect. That sucks Eh. Mike

Clinging to my Guns and Religion. www.KoneZone.com

humm, lets see if i have this correct:
- stocks of halibut are declining
- the take has exceeded the quota allocation for several years running
- a reduction in bag limit has been proposed

so, if you are opposed to the reduced bag limit, given the first two points, what solution are you proposing?????

Just a shot in the dark here but maybe reduce the commercial quota a bit more and leave the sporties their 2 fish. Why reduce the commercial catch by 10% but cut back the sporties 50%? Oh wait I know...halibut prices are rising and guess who gets boned as a result?

barbender, good point. reducing the commercial catch should be a big part of the equation. but, given the political appointees currently running NOAA, even this move is a big surprise to me. once that current worthless piece of **** is out of washington d.c., perhaps some science based decision making will return as the norm.

IF you were at the SFAB meeting and was aware of what is really going on the commercial boys are getting hit along with the sport sector basically it is a big bunch of political ******** from all the reports of what I have heard and read there isnt a decline in stocks at all but are level and in some spots more.
One thing you got to remember there inst a lot of data on halibut as they really dont know there migratory routes,and where they spawn (600 to a 1200 ft of water) they only know a little about it not like salmon where they have a way better knowledge of knowing whats going on.

We are going into some very troubled times we are going too be cut so deep we are going to bleed for a long time I think I may even fold the business as I really dont see alot of opertunities be it halibut or salmon this year, halibut now and trust me salmon is next and we are going to get that almost as bad as halibut.

Look at it now you buy a liscence now you cant fish for halibut OR cod OR prawns you watch winter springs are just around the corner as well be prepared IT WILL happen!!!!!!

MERRY F" x-mas DFO is going to say

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

That is depressing Wolf. I can see a day in the not to distant future when we tell our kids that once upon a time ago you could fish whenever you wanted to and could keep 2 springs! They will look at us and say "what is a spring?".

'once upon a time' there were wild anadramous fishes in all the rivers draining into hood canal. today they are ALL extinct! there is zero development, no urban runoff, no inhabitants poluting these rivers, it was all, completely and without a single question, overharvest!

coming to an eco system near you.............

I don't see the problem, It says charters are reduced, not sportys? IMHO it should be implemented for Salmon too. Time to get control of a totally unregulated commercial sector.

Take only what you need.

FA it is not only charter and commercial fisherman it is going to be at you as well so if you are happy with no fishing for just you well so be it.
you saying that "dont see the problem"

Well you may want to get your eyes checked THIS IS a huge problem I dont want to get into the whole charter against sporty thing with you as it like playing marbles in the school yard enough is enough. It doesnt matter anymore we have been put in the same pot me as a charter/sportfisherman and you as just a sporty as I dont think you guide ??? I dont know?? correct me if im wrong.

So in saying that crap flows downhill and us as the sportfishing community be it whoever you are are in for a bad go you will be saying "I REMEMBER WHEN WE USED TO FISH FOR HALIBUT"
You may see a season from june and july and you may get to keep 1 fish and thats it if we are lucky. For salmon expect the same as there will be a limited season as well.So whatever you do dont go out and buy a 100,000 boat unless you like to look at it in your driveway.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:You may see a season from june and july and you may get to keep 1 fish and thats it if we are lucky. For salmon expect the same as there will be a limited season as well.So whatever you do dont go out and buy a 100,000 boat unless you like to look at it in your driveway.

The point I was making was that the Charter industry takes way more fish than the normal sporty. So why not cap there guests? It isn't like the average charter guy puts anything back into the resource, just take take take. If you can live with that on your conscience than you’re fit to guide, personally I quit guiding out of respect for the resource and went and spent three years on the big Q doing SEP work. I was very effective as a guide Wolf don't get me wrong. I could have gone on to kill thousands of more fish for my guests, but I am glad I took the road I did, and don't regret it for a minute.

So why not make the guests buy a tag for their halibut just like a buck tag? The money it raised could go directly back into conservation. Guides need to loose the attitude that they can just keep filling up thier boats and wallets unchecked day after day without putting something extra back.

Take only what you need.

FA i will agree to you on a few of your points totally agree on a tag system for EVERYONE we have to get rid of all the hate for each other one rule for all people not different rules to fn/commercial/sport or charter.

I will not agree with you on charters taking all the fish yes some abuse it did you see I said (SOME) but I see way more abuse from sport people who go out every day be it salmon or halibut.

I told a story not long ago from a guy who chatted to me on the ferry coming back from my hunting trip and he sat there and told me that him and his partner took over 40 halibut each and a few over 80 lbs from the whole summer fishing I then asked him how much halibut he really needed and you should have seen the look on his face.

FA people who come here and fish and supports all bc people here in 2007 288 million dollars est.and you ask me its all about us taking well not really when clients come here and go fishing with me there are bringing in tourist dollars which supports a lot of people and money to our communities and town and cities you cant say im not contrubuting???

Look at a salmon tag for one min because most people buy one with there lic so you and I buy our annual lic once wow we put in a total of $12.84 in to the HCF, really big deal, now I take out 100 people in one month who only come here for 1 or 2 days and the buy that tag(6.42) who do you think is paying for our fishery???its not you and me its the people who come here so that works out to 642 bucks for HCF im only ONE charter add more months and more charter,lodge,etc into the mix thats a wack of money.$$$288.000.000 to be exact (est)

You think our economy is going to get better NO this is going to cut very very deep and trust me a lot of people are going to be hurt by this from the kid who sells coffee to you in the morning to motels,ferries.airports,shops,torist attractions,and then me it is a huge trickling effect.

There are different solutions to this problem but it really doesnt matter DFO has already made its mind you know I know it they really dont care if they close it it is the easy way out then they dont have to patrol.

BTW people are still out there fishing for halibut even anchoring buddy of mine saw them when he went over to PA at the american thanksgiving he phoned me right away and asked me "isnt hali closed" I said yes well there is 5 boats out here fishing hali I told him no way there probablly prawning he gos NO been out with enough times I know when people are hali fishing I can see the scotsman and the rods these guys are definattly hali fishing!!!!!do you think that would be a charter guy UUUUMMMM me thinks NOT.

In a perfect world I would love to see a tag system and an annual limit of maybe 8 or 10 fish then you could keep it at 2 fish per day but reallity is if we dont have enforcement on ALL user groups really its for nothing as our fishery is being abused and without enforcement it really doesnt matter people are making there own rules and that is the facts and truth.

To finish this in the 6 months of fishing last year I got checked once by DOT and he couldnt answer half my questions and got checked at the dock 1 time by dfo thats very very sad if you ask me!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your time

MERRY X-MAS WOLF

P.S. ill say sorry now if I have offened anyone its just I am passionate about our fishery and dont like the way it is going to END be it for me or you its all bad no matter how you look at it!!!

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Hey Wolf,
Are you really so convinced it will simply end ?
I am sure we will see further restrictions, and spot closures
but don't you think that DFO have to think of the bigger picture?
A lot of people's livelihoods are at stake here.

You are pretty well informed, and i'm not arguing your points,
but i'm hanging on to the hope that our saltwater fishery
does not get hit as hard as you think it will.

Scott if you were at that meeting it was made quite clear to us that were there it was going to be very bleak for hali and salmon. if they get there wish and they put the cowichan river springs on the threated or endangerd list it will only get worse for salmon then there DEFINATLLY be some major closures.

I dont know if you know this by the commercial sector was 890,000 lbs under there TAC so you see its not really a conservation isue it is and always will be political we can on here debate back and forth all we want but it really doesnt matter now does it.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

i am sitting here on the south side of the strait shaking my head. the coasts of california and oregon were totally shut down to salmon fishing this past summer, zero take. puget sound salmon are ESA listed but indiscriminate killing continues by commercial interests. in reality, puget sound salmon fishing should have also been closed down this past summer.

what is happenning further north is to be expected given the total lack of regulation and enforcement. however, you folks in B.C. are in a pretty good position to save your stocks, even at this late date. you still have fish, eco systems that are pretty good to horrible, and hopefully a world view to how everyone south of you has/is screwing all of this up.

it is going to take bag restrictions, limited seasons, enforcement, banning of ALL nets, buy outs of commercials, reigning in of those who sell fish on the open markets (think quotas for all concerned), and pain for every fishing sector.

but, if you don't act fairly quickly, you are going to look exactly like your neighbors to the south: NO season; eco system after eco system EXTINCT. once you hit those thresholds your ranting and raving will be just so much noise in the back ground.

start now folks, it's up to you and your neighbors to organize and start putting the pressure on the politicians who control the future and fate of the fisheries. rape and run mindsets worked in the last century, but climate change is real and it's effects are not known. but, take it to the bank, our fisheries are going to come up on the short end if no changes are made, and damn soon.

Well said wolf. I think you made your point clear and I think it is the minority here on the site that would argue with anything you have said. Your point about halibut fishermen taking way more than they need hit home. I had a similar discussion with a few old timers that had no issue taking 30 halibut a person for the season. I know of one old timer that goes prawning and feeds them to his cat!

I agree with you Reelfast.
Unfortunately a lot of it is out of our hands. The polititions don't listen. We can count on the government to do too little too late.
Unfortunate that we can not learn from others mistakes. We have to screw things up for ourselves.

Tips

Back