No seafood but some damn good ribs & wings

Chasin' Dreams

Dry rubbed with sweet with heat spices and let sit for 24 hrs then apple wood smoked and basted with home made sweet/spicy barbecue sauce. Served with home cut seasoned truffle fries, cold slaw and an ice cold Blue Moon beer. Very delicious.

The wings are not ever wrapped in foil. I just put them straight on the smoker racks after dry brining then roll them in sauce at the end.
For the ribs I do a 3 part smoke. Smoke open on racks for 2 hrs, then wrap in foil meat side down with some butter, brown sugar and agave (can use honey) under them and smoke for another hour, then remove from foil baste with sauce then smoke at higher temp for last 30 min to caramelize the sauce on the outside of meat.

I keep the juices from the foil after cooking in a container, put that in the freezer so the butter firms on the top and separates to skim it off and toss that out, then re heat the sauce to use for basting over the meat when all is done at the end. It adds great flavor to it.

I make a huge batch of the dry rub and keep it in a container for use over the year. It can be made sweeter and less spicy by upping the sugar and lowering the heat spices if wanted. Here's what I put in it:
2 cups white sugar
4 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups kosher salt
2 cups cracked black pepper
1 cup chili powder
1 cup paprika
3/4 cup Tumeric
1/4 cup cayenne pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/2 cup cumin

20190917_114932.jpg

20190918_182416.jpg

20190918_191315.jpg

20190918_193502.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work, what are your temps around for all three parts? Last couple times when i did the 1 hour foil wrap part i found they fell off the bone a little too much. Im using a egg style charcoal bbq

Excellent work, what are your temps around for all three parts?
Thanks! 240F for both the beginning 2 hrs open meat on racks and for the foil wrapped hour, then upped to at least 280 for the last 30 min. If you can get your smoker higher for the last 30 min it will caramalize even better though. 300 is a better temp for that 30 min. With my smoker it depends on the outside weather with how high I can get it to go for temperature. If I want it to get higher I sometimes put it in one of my sheds and also have a cover for it for colder weather smoking too with a vent hole. Brings the temp up a lot of needed for certain foods.

1 cup child powder
Man that looks good. Everything you post looks fabulous.
With regard to the child powder, there are a lot of variables. Small child, Large child, active child, smart child. Do you have a preference?

Man that looks good. Everything you post looks fabulous.
With regard to the child powder, there are a lot of variables. Small child, Large child, active child, smart child. Do you have a preference?
:D Woops lol. I'll edit that

You forgot your homemade bbq sauce recipe
Not sure of the exact amounts I used of each cause I kind of change sauces on the fly at times but I'll ball park it.
3/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup molassas, 1/4 cup brown sugar, tsp each of garlic, onion, cayanne pepper powders, splash of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and about 1/8 cup of honey. I've used agave in bbq sauces that works just as well.

Back