No luck in Pender Harbor BC

Verve

WOW caught the big one and a bunch of smaller ones !! happy girl ! thanks for the help fisher friends <3

Last edited:
Ironically my father was a commercial fisherman here on the west coast for about 60 years ! ( Salmon, halibut, prawn, cod, and tuna off shore ) so I have the correct genes and a lot of knowledge and have good luck fishing everywhere I go, normally, just nothing seems to be working in this area, except some fantastic prawning ! I am just really surprised and disappointed I haven't caught one fish ! Thought there may be some little detail I am missing ...

it is supposed to be the BEST fishing on the coast here...
Are you drunk?

Pender Harbour has had a flurry of Salmon action the past few years but the epic days of the 80's are long, long gone-and the bottom was scraped sparkling clean in the meantime.

Temper your expectations and start using modern techniques to target the remaining Salmon -all kinds of info posted on this forum-forget bottomfish altogether that ship sailed long ago.

Salmon or ground fish what are yah after?
either or just to prove to myself that Dad's 60 years on the water and my 20 years as unpaid and NOT VOLUNTEERED deckhand " kid, you're the smallest, you get to go clean the ice hold in the bow " was not in vain ...

Curious to know the name of your dad's boat that had an ice hold in the bow

Curious to know the name of your dad's boat that had an ice hold in the bow

It was in the 1960'2 Seymour Girl, followed by many other boats. here is his last boat that he built in Victoria

" Powak (Built 1987, Victoria, BC, Canada; Name given in 1987; Fishboat, general, 62 tons Steel hull 60 foot Longliner / packer and live tanks "

https://nationtalk.ca/story/remembering-richard-lucier-larson-3

Here is a sort of "autobiography " dad made in court , protesting oil tankers

http://bcmetis.com/wp-content/uploa...tation-to-Gateway-Commision-Jan-2013-Last.pdf

MR. RICHARD LUCIER-LARSON: Thank you for having me. I would like to acknowledge being on Coast Salish unceded territory. 20925. I was born September 5th, 1933 in Mameo Beach, Alberta.
Resided and educated in Courtney Campbell River area in B.C.

I spent most of my life at sea, with a certificate of competence as a home trade master and a home trade mate.

The last 12 years as skipper of the M.F.V. Powak, a long-range tuna vessel, and the President of Powak Fishing Company, an immediately family-owned fishing business.
I retired in 2000, moving to my homeland in Alberta in 2002, and back to B.C. in 2010.

I do not receive any funding from any foreign or any other source. I am here on my own nickel completely.

20927. In my career as commercial fishing on tugs and Coast Guard rescue cutters and other vessels, I have sailed these channels and waters, actually experienced real conditions summer and winter.
Not sitting in some fine office in Calgary toying with a vivid imagination of the north coast in conditions where everything could be put into an imaginary world where the winds are light, the mountains are Disneyestic meadows and the vessels sail in gentle splendour in perfect safety.

20928. In 1964-66, I fished a small 33-foot salmon trawler in the waters of Kamal Sound, Whale Channel and Douglas Channel. I might add the lady next to me from Barnett Harbour.

20929. During that time and later years, I experienced the local weather conditions. The winds, locally known as williwaws, are strong and sometimes laden with super-cool saturated moisture that, when striking a vessel's outer surface, condenses into ice so fast you can see the shrouds and other surfaces grow.

20930. In those waters, the winds range from flat calm over 100 knots sometimes in the space of an hour. The weather conditions are unpredictable even to the experienced local fishermen. The smaller craft have the option of either pulling in to a protected anchorage or a shore lea to wait out a squall.

20931. Larger vessels do not have that option but the mercy of the weather. A large vessel, with or without tugs, is helpless. Several known wrecks have resulted from these conditions in years past.

20932. Over my career, I have sailed these waters as a deck officer on a B.C. ferry, Queen of Prince Rupert. I had the experience of being brought to a complete stop by a williwaw squall. This is where the Princess Royal Channel enters Douglas Channel. That vessel is one of the best of their fleet and very seaworthy. So I ask, what chance would a very large tanker with just minimum power have under these conditions?

20933. I have had the same experience with a tug in tow when severe winds have taken command of the large barge, making the tug the towed vessel. It does not take very much research to find many records of that happening and one in question is the wreckage of a very large deep-water log barge now on the southwest end of Triangle Island.

20934. I also mention the recent grounding of the drilling unit Kulluk ashore on Sitkalidak Island close to Kodiak was under tow by a modern, up-to-date tug. All and any vessel is not unsinkable. People make mistakes, shipping companies go cheap, machinery breaks down.

20935. So in the case of how is Enbridge going to clean up a bitumen spill, especially when the stuff sinks into one of the rockiest shores in the world. I have met and are still in contact with Alaska fishermen who were put out of business by the Exxon Valdez grounding and spill. That was stuff that people thought could be cleaned up. Our entire coast is being risked to supply tar sands bitumen to a foreign country with questionable standards for their benefit to enrich the shareholders, the pipeline companies, and very little benefit to the people of B.C.

20936. I am testifying today for all the good people who would lose their livelihoods in a bitumen spill, and this includes clam diggers, tourist operators, any sea-based industry for the many people who make an honest living from our northern waters.

20937. I have fished and worked with first name communities who truly value our coast. I am a Métis person who volunteers time as a provincial leader from the Métis Provincial Representatives and our organization known as the B.C. Métis Federation. The Métis Federation has been in existence since 2011 and currently represents the interests of approximately 6,300 members from across the province.

20938. Despite the interests of approximately 6,300 members from across -- the development of the B.C. Métis Federation by the Métis communities represent their interests, Enbridge and the Canadian Environmental Assessment branch have yet to support resources to better assess the project's impacts.

20939. Regardless in my role with the B.C. Métis Federation, we also -- to -- to seek Métis views by several families and communities who would be most impacted by the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline Project if approved. This included community-led forums with families from Fort St. John, Williams Lake, Cornell, Prince George, Terrace, Kitimat, Prince Rupert, Kelly Lake, Dawson Creek, and other key potential impact locations. I add this to my Oral statement presentation today as my views are also based on my experience as a master mariner along with our strong majority Métis opposition to the Enbridge project.

20940. The -- I might ask the Commission to reject the Enbridge Project, and in the ending I am concerned for Mother Earth, but the biggest reason is for my children, grandchildren and descendants who not -- who I would wish to enjoy a clean coast they're familiar with and possibly make a decent living fishing.

THANKS DAD <3

WOW caught the big one and a bunch of smaller ones !! happy girl ! thanks for the help fisher friends <3

Are you drunk?

Pender Harbour has had a flurry of Salmon action the past few years but the epic days of the 80's are long, long gone-and the bottom was scraped sparkling clean in the meantime.

Temper your expectations and start using modern techniques to target the remaining Salmon -all kinds of info posted on this forum-forget bottomfish altogether that ship sailed long ago.

Back