NMEA set up for fuel flow

pescador

I've got a new mechanical F250 Yamaha. I'd like to set up the NMEA with my 720 Garmin GPS system if its doable to specifically watch fuel flow. How hard is it? Does it just plug into a socket off the motor and you plug that into the backbone and Garmin system? Whats parts do I need? I've looked online and it just not clear in terms of the process.

I had a garmin fuel flow sensor (GFS 10)on an NMEA backbone plugged into the NMEA port on the back of my garmin 720. After I did it, I found that it wouldn't read properly because my EFI volvo i/0 has an electronic fuel pump with a fuel return so it doesn't measure the fuel flow. I don't know how you'd connect the NMEA drop to your Yamaha engine, but I would assume there's either a port or an adapter if its a new engine.

We’re adding it right at the fuel sender at the tank for my Etec. My mechanic has ordered it

We’re adding it right at the fuel sender at the tank for my Etec. My mechanic has ordered it

ya, I now understand you need the sending unit connected to the fuel line. It’s a great idea to mange fuel burn which is becoming a huge cost on boats. My boats $350 to fill up. Sometimes that a week. It’s getting too costly. Gotta figure out how to mange it better.

My Etec NMEA runs direct from the motor and fuel burn is part of the data it sends, connected to my Lowrance HDS. I connected the sender from the fuel tank to an analog gauge for redundancy.

ya, I now understand you need the sending unit connected to the fuel line. It’s a great idea to mange fuel burn which is becoming a huge cost on boats. My boats $350 to fill up. Sometimes that a week. It’s getting too costly. Gotta figure out how to mange it better.
You should be able to connect to your engines ECM to get fuel flow data as well as all of the other engine related data that unit puts out

Back