NITNAT RIVER

Nog I did call the 24 / 7 rat line and gave the info but the officer wasnt to concerned as i didnt witness the snagging or the headless salmon in the meat box.....[B)]

My good friend was over for dinner last night, and recounted a story his room mate told him. This guy was taken fishing by "experienced" fishermen for some late season C&R on the Nat. My friend, who has fished the river, played dumb and inquired into the fishing methods. Well the wool tie on the hook was "just for show", cast to the dark spot and haul back. He was very proud of all the big fish he tore into, and said it was the best day fishing he has seen. But, he reported, the fish themselves were old and disgusting.

I have seen snaggers, but never heard a snagging story told as though it were a fishing story. And never though people would snag and release. Pissed me right off and pretty much left me speechless.

Wow that is blatent. Some guys make no bones about it however and regard it as a meat fishery exclusivley. Personally it sickens me. I have fouled unintentionally more than a few fish on many systems over the years. To hear guys "disguise" the hook is crazy.

I remember about 18 years ago when the Nat was still just a story to many. We would go to the infamous pools and drop a lightly dressed hook bearing chartreus wool. No jerking was required. Just wait. The big does will often been seen performing house cleaning duties in preparation for depositing her eggs. She would mouth the wool because it was seen as potentially harmful to her progeny. That is when and only when the hook was set. 100% fair hoking was the result of this method. Occasionally a body would run the gear and result in a foul. Those fish were straight lined and quickly broken off.

Guys have since then marred the attractive qualities of wool. Most guys will now assume you are a snagger if you even set foot on that system.In my opinion it doesn't matter what you toss at those fish. You can "cheat" with any type of gear. It's unfortunate to say but the spoons, spinners and even flies more specifically will land you alot of tail hooked fish in that system. It is so shallow and the fish are so big. They are like monkeys in a barrel.

Nothing but a biotch show hey nog, lets all come to terms with the fact that it is a put and take fishery and there is nothing to be done on this system. Put it to rest and fish somewhere else if it disgusts you that much..:(

quote:Originally posted by Dirtdog67

Nothing but a biotch show hey nog, lets all come to terms with the fact that it is a put and take fishery and there is nothing to be done on this system. Put it to rest and fish somewhere else if it disgusts you that much..:(

My point exactly is that it can still be fished in a respectful manner. Many of you guys do. Unfortunately alot of guys out there that don't. I know under the right conditions that the river can have some outstanding fishing with fair takes. I still keep an ear to the ground for those rare moments. Thats why I am reading this thread.

HL

Whats the COHO fishery shaping up like ??? Or is it the same gong show for the COHO as the Springs[?]

quote:Originally posted by Derby

When the river open for angling again?

As far as I see it only closes for retention, not fishing.
I've had people tell me that it closed for fishing (and no I haven't been up there) but I see nothing that say the river closes or closed. Is there a link? NJ

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

I've had people tell me that it closed for fishing (and no I haven't been up there) but I see nothing that say the river closes or closed. Is there a link? NJ

It's open today! but was closed to all fishing,the signs were all over the place.

Thanks,
That what I saw when I was angling there this fall.This goes to show you just how hard it is to find out what the real regulations are?
DFO and MOE just don't make it easy anymore for the average angler to just go out and cast.:(

quote:Originally posted by chinook

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

It's open today! but was closed to all fishing,the signs were all over the place.
There were signs but no notice? Like I say I just see no retention.
I just wanted to see the notice that about all[|)]
My buddy was up there and said the signs said the same thing... unless he read them wrong

"Closed to all angling opportunities" pretty clear to me. We use to think that as well in years past but it is very spelled out that it is closed to fishing, retention or not from oct 1 to 14th. It is also stated on the regs that are stapled to every tree all over the system that the closure is to give the fish a chance to be left alone to spawn.

"This 2 week closure will provide protection to chinook
salmon during the peak spawning period."

Back