NITNAT RIVER

Took my friend from the interior to nit nat last year with his young son, we were limited to where we could fish and had to fish with a group of guys we all managed to catch a few fish and yes some were foul hooked and some guys were keeping foul hooked fish, i explained to my friend that they weren't being very ethical and this fishery sometimes brings out the worst in people. This year he came out and we fished sooke for salmon we went out one day for pinks and cohos off secrectary island, we kept catching lots of immature springs as was everyone else. Tried different gear anchovies, spoons, hoochies, bigger spoons and still caught alot of immature springs and humpies and cohos. The seagulls must have got atleast a half dozen of the immature springs that we released plus other boats that were fishing. I picked up and moved to the head and still lots of the immature springs and we released about a 15lb coho ( with a gaff beside the boat ) and it swam into the kicker motor and floated up dead behind the boat and my buddy asked why we couldnt go back and keep it, I told him that was the rules. My friend said fishin today seemed just as unethical as fishing nit nat. It all depends on your point of view.

Sorry but I dont know how to put pictures up,I caught springs on a combination of chartreuse black and dark green wool,chartreuse wool,silver and blue crocks,koho kings, and gold and orange crocks,blue and pink vibrax spoons,not one foul hook every fish we had on were takers one fish screemed of 3/4 of my reel and lost it in a tree some 200 yards down the river,,,the whole day was too good to be true just lucky.......

Way to go Hootey, sure is fun catching those clean springs on spinners. Unfortunatly those springs go into lockjaw after 2 or 3 days of being in the flow, especially with the warm low water. Then we all know what it turns into, be honest poeple, 20 guys elbow to elbow, long leaders and pencil lead, waiting for the black ball to swim by bonking back bitters. Now thats what I call fishing!!LOL!!! Is Nitty still closed to all fishing Oct 1 - 14??, I hope so, shut down spring fishing on the Nitty or atleast retention to keep the idiots out. I love hearing boots are good on the smoker! LOL!! Rip me a new one if you want, just my 2 cents. Where's DC?

Been out a couple of times now, and had a blast. Huge thanks to the people who drove us back to our vehicle on Monday. I think we'd still be walking otherwise.

I have picked up a few really nice fish, all caught ethically. Sometimes I do foul hook them unintentionally. It is usually easy to tell when this happens. The best way I have found to deal with that is to point the tip right at the fish and give it lots of slack. The hook almost always pops out. Whatever you do, DO NOT SET THE HOOK. There is no pleasure in horsing in a snagged fish.

That being said, there were a few questionable fishers out, and a few questionable fish kept. Can someone here explain where the Glory Hole Slough is? There are a couple of spots I think could be it. One of them was lined with guys, and I hope that isn't it. Thanks.

The glory hole is about half way between the hatchery and the tidal zone. It has a slough ( swamp) slow backwater attached to it on the hatchery side. To all the snaggers, s%$^t heads fishing the river clean up your act ! Fisheries hide in the bushes and the guy fishing next to you might be one .if the fisheries feel that there is too much abuse they will close it down (paper mill dam.)

My 18yr daughter who used to fish with me alot when she was younger wants to go to the river. She likes fishing were your casting etc. not trolling (to borring) So now i got to patch some old waders and will be hitting the river monday. Are the fish in the lower end, water levels . I do have some small favourite spots but she might not want to hike very far.

Mt fishing guru Gord at the Cow Lake takle shop tells me that if the weather stays hot the water will be down and full of tar babies so we are going to wait until we get some more rain, plus it gives the springs in the river a chance to do there thing,,,,,and your absolutely correct DFO should have more officers out in plain clothes [8D] keeping the [}:)]s n a g g e r s [}:)]off the river......good tip on the fould hook,,,,,;)

Very, very,very good advice from guru gord. Great little store but if only that tackle shop would stop spilling its guts in its reports about the steel in some of the smaller streams around the backside of lk cow. When it comes to small streams they can't take the presure and more people should fish the Zippermouth.

I was ready to puke when I heard a report from some people on the river that all they saw on Saturday was people keeping snagged fish...

TO DFO:

GET YOUR SH$#$$^% IN GEAR AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE

SNAGGERS...

Hey guys, not to sure of how to use the internet to find the fishing regs, a link to the regs for the nitnat river would be awsome, then i can bookmark it.

-Steve

Hello.
Got invited to go to Nitinat tomorrow.
Am I correct in reading the regs and seeing that the only species that is open right now it Chinook?
Being unfamiliar with the river makes for a problem when they describe spots as open/closed!
Thanks!
Smiley.

Hi there, Most likely heading to Nitnat Wednsday, just curious where the best spot to go is that won't be too crowded, would be open to other river suggestions, spots, Thanks. Please send me a PM

Back