Next round of closures SRKW related

Subject: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/fm-gp/srkw-eprs/index-eng.html

Richmond April 25, 2019 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm (doors open at 5:00 pm) Executive Hotel Vancouver Airport
7311 Westminster Highway, Richmond
Sooke April 24, 2019 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm (doors open at 5:00 pm) Prestige Oceanfront Resort
6929 W Coast Rd, Sooke
Victoria April 23, 2019 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm (doors open at 5:00 pm) Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa
1999 Country Club Way, Victoria

yes... regardless of what people are feeling or thinking right now..we need to show up and put our imput in... Myself and others will be attending sooke

Thanks for getting word out, think mood is hurt, hammered and beat right now for most BC rec fishers. I must have missed something in presentation or maybe I am dumb. Read lots on discussions of habitat rehabilitation and salmon enhancement but NO real how's, when, with what $$$$. Also read new no fishing proposals, noise reductions and closures, THESE all have dates, times and specifics. Who's paying for this study, plan and BS? Sounds like anti fishing to me and another no real plan to increase stocks/food for the whales. Did I miss something. Will be at the Vic meeting, may have to bite my tongue as I do think its all a done deal and part of a larger plan to rid Canada of BC rec fishers. Sunny Ways.

HM

Just got this email from Berry’s bait and tackle.

Give your input & opinions to Department of Fisheries and Oceans ( DFO ) regarding the upcoming Southern Resident Killer Whale recovery measures.

It is time to have your voices heard about our displeasure about recent fisheries announcements regarding our opportunity to fish for Chinook Salmon.

These Recovery measures include further boundary changes and timed closures to present Enhanced Management areas .

When: Wednesday April 24th 2019 6:00 pm- 9:00 pm
Where: Executive Hotel Vancouver Airport - 7311 Westminster Hwy, Richmond

Present regulations
Fraser River mouth - Area 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 closed June 1st - Sept 30
Area 29-6 salmon fishing closure June 1 - July 31st
Area 29-6 non -retention of Chinook Aug 1st - Sept 30th

Proposed changes for 2019 onward in addition to the above closures
May - October Modified boundaries for area 29-9 and 29-10 to include the deeper water portions of 29-9 and 29-10 and fisheries closures in those areas.
Voluntary avoidance zone of 1 km would apply in remaining critical habitat area in portions of 29-3 and 29-4

Present regulations
The Gulf Islands
Closure from June 1 thru Sept 30th

Proposed changes for 2019 onward in addition to above closure -
May - October fishing closure.
Closure in key foraging areas ( increased area )
Voluntary avoidance zone of 1km would apply in remaining enhanced management area
Potential " No - Go " zones off Pender Island and Saturna Island

Strait of Juan de Fuca & Swiftsure Bank
Closure from June 1 thru Sept 30
Proposed changes from 2019 onward in addition to above closure -
May - October fishing closure
Fishery closure in Sub areas 20-4, 20-3 and expansion of existing closure in Swiftsure bank
May - October fishing closure
Voluntary avoidance zone of 1 km would apply in remaining critical habitat portions
Would include Potential " No - Go " reduced use zones within existing Swiftsure Closure

Someone needs it done before his replacement. WE CAN ONLY HOPE. All the cuts wont matter if there is no plan to promote/increase river habitat, smolt survival and a decrease in river net raping.

HM

Those mother f______. It never stops with these guys. Did I miss this before or did it just come out with few days notice ?

Those mother f______. It never stops with these guys. Did I miss this before or did it just come out with few days notice ?

First I have heard of it. But not surprised at all.

If you care at all about your right to fish recreationally you need to make a presence at one of the meetings. If nothing else be there to hear and grasp what is being proposed and support those that are willing to say they are not happy with the way DFO is managing the fishery.

What really chaps me is I know that some groups have the approach that they can remain business as usual and there is no recourse/ repercussion.

So once again I ask who is prepared to attend protests so we can have some balance to these measures. Come on, who is in?

First I have heard of it. But not surprised at all.

If you care at all about your right to fish recreationally you need to make a presence at one of the meetings. If nothing else be there to hear and grasp what is being proposed and support those that are willing to say they are not happy with the way DFO is managing the fishery.

What really chaps me is I know that some groups have the approach that they can remain business as usual and there is no recourse/ repercussion.
I will be there and we all should be

If I can make the meeting tomorrow I will otherwise I will go to the Sooke meeting.

I am also going to read the proposal through a few times so I can be prepared with some questions.

My question to you is how will this effect the whale watch companies ?

Thanks for posting this......hadn't even heard about it until this morning

Appreciate the heads up.

GnB

Back