Newbie here: Where to go to fish/crab/prawn - Saanich? Gulf Islands?

AKMary

I'm picking up a friend in Roche and we have a week to explore. I have an older, slow (but oh-so-comfy) trawler with a pot puller and downrigger. My little dinghy has an electric motor and would be fine for mooching. I'm kitted out with fishing gear, prawn traps and a crab trap. I'm experienced with crabbing but am a newbie to the rest of the stuff and have never fished BC. I also love me some oysters, clams & such.

Where would you go?

Saanich Inlet interests me 'cause I've never been there and it's open for most species. The Gulf Islands are fun to explore and it would only take a day to run north of the fin fish closure. I've read through the fishing reports & searched other posts but haven't seen anything current for either. Maybe I need to look at a different locations.

I'm open to any & all suggestions. I love BC!

Thanks for the help,
Mary

Porlier Pass, Thrasher Rock. A little far from Saanich Inlet but I know these areas produce. I stick to the straight of georgia side or porlier. Troll using your downrigger as close to the bottom as you are comfortable with. glow hootchie w flasher. I will be fishing porlier on thursday.

It is my opinion that Saanich Inlet is somewhat devoid of fish these days. I'd go to Sooke - good anchorage in the harbor, fair outside for Salmon, crab on the harbor, Oysters at the end of the spit.

Here is the link for the Island Outfitters fishing report:
https://www.fishingvictoria.com/fishing-report/
Also check www.portrenfrewmarina.com

Where they are biting & what they are biting on.

If you have the time Port Renfrew has all the above to catch just much more of it. Try a spot called The Chicken Ranch, troll deep at 150 or more with the current for Chinook. Much of JDS should be stupid-good for Coho; farther west is better.

Sounds like you are asking about the southern gulf island and saanich inlet. For fishing the inlet try Wain Rock. For fishing the SGI's try off Coal Island or between Sidney Island and James Island. For crabbing Sidney Spit and for prawns anywhere in Saanich Inlet you see other traps. Hope this helps. Share some pics of your catch after the trip! Good luck!

Ended up dropping the prawn pots in Saanich on the south end of Pat Bay and again outside of Coles Bay, both spots at about 275'. There were clusters of pots up and down Saanish. We pulled up 100 - 150 in each spot. But the bonus was the weather...wow! I anchored in Coles Bay and we enjoyed a beautiful evening. It was calm, uncrowded and gorgeous. I never did drop the crab pot but was told Cow Bay is typically a reliable spot.

Now I'm floating about the Discovery Islands exploring different anchorages and having no trouble finding clams, oysters & crab.
Did I mention that I love BC?

Thanks all for your responses.

Back