New Wire Marine - Switch Questions

Waterwolf2230

Has anyone on the forum used New Wire Marine during their build? It seems like a no-brainer to me with a new build but I'm wondering if their is a west coast company or Canadian company that will do something similar. I'd like to avoid US if I can...

They have an e-panel builder that you can completely customize. The laser etched/backlit rocker switches look just awesome and they have over 90 different custom switches. https://newwiremarine.com/marine-grade-switches/illuminated-rocker-switches/backlit-combos/

You can order them with or without breakers. Can someone tell me if I order the breaker model/version will that avoid the need to have a Blue Sea fuse block? (Electronics is not my strong point).

Many thanks in advance,

WW

Attachments

• New Wire Marine.JPG
    New Wire Marine.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 71
Has anyone on the forum used New Wire Marine during their build? It seems like a no-brainer to me with a new build but I'm wondering if their is a west coast company or Canadian company that will do something similar. I'd like to avoid US if I can...

They have an e-panel builder that you can completely customize. The laser etched/backlit rocker switches look just awesome and they have over 90 different custom switches. https://newwiremarine.com/marine-grade-switches/illuminated-rocker-switches/backlit-combos/

You can order them with or without breakers. Can someone tell me if I order the breaker model/version will that avoid the need to have a Blue Sea fuse block? (Electronics is not my strong point).

Many thanks in advance,

WW

I prefer fuses especially for protecting electronics. Breakers have a mechanical component to them and vary in accuracy from brand to brand. Breakers have their place but some people prefer them for their convinience. I would rather replace a quick acting fuse then reset a breaker and ignore the potential problem. Just because a breaker resets it doesn’t mean you should and hit the circuit again...lol. But as you mentioned everyone has different comfort levels with electrical circuits and troubleshooting.

I was wondering why manufacturers don't use breakers for their 12Volt DC panels too when I was rewiring one of my previous boats. I thought it would simplify things when finding a problem,rather than tracing an inline fuse.I was told what "ReelSlim" says about breakers not being as sensitive and resetting a breaker could ignore a problem.Maybe things have improved in the breaker world so that their reliable,it sure would make your wiring nice and tidy if you can stay away from inline fuses.I just ended up adding a Blue Sea's fuse panel to a more accessable spot in my cuddy and labelled everything clearly in my old 206 DE.

I wish I had used a switch panel with breakers. Would have saved a lot of wire runs from the fuse box to the panel. That said I get what other are saying about the breakers. The ones I have used lately do seem to trip pretty fast though.

I was wondering why manufacturers don't use breakers for their 12Volt DC panels too when I was rewiring one of my previous boats. I thought it would simplify things when finding a problem,rather than tracing an inline fuse.I was told what "ReelSlim" says about breakers not being as sensitive and resetting a breaker could ignore a problem.Maybe things have improved in the breaker world so that their reliable,it sure would make your wiring nice and tidy if you can stay away from inline fuses.I just ended up adding a Blue Sea's fuse panel to a more accessable spot in my cuddy and labelled everything clearly in my old 206 DE.

You wouldn’t possibly have some pictures of your work that you did on your Double Eagle 206 would you?? I am doing some new wiring as well as cleaning up and rewiring some on my 206. A few pictures would help a lot. If you want, I can PM my cell number if that would be easier for the pictures.

I talked to some of the guys at Harbour Chandler and was sold a couple of digital selectable amperage (30, 40, 50 and 60 amp) circuit breakers for my new HP Scotty’s. They said that the prawn puller should have a 40 amp fuse or breaker and the downrigger should have 30 amp fuses or breakers. These selectable breakers will allow the amperage to be selectable depending on what use the plug is being used for. There is a digital display to also show how much amperage you are actually using while the equipment is being used. I also upped the wire to 8 gauge.

A little off topic, but what is the best crimper (single or double crimp) for the marine connectors.

Oly

The existing wiring was long enough to pull through the bulkhead to mount the new fuse panels in the cuddy. The original was impossible to get at under the dash.IMG_7641.JPG IMG_7642.JPG

I'm sorry for hijacking "Waterwolfs" thread,I'm sure his panel will be much more sophisticated than my backyard effort,but I had trouble inserting pictures into my PM to "Oly1".

I think you should definitely get the “arm torpedoes” switch for comic relief

Or Selected Electronic Armed Launch missile or SEAL missile for short. That would fit better on the toggle switch plate.

Oly

I'm sorry for hijacking "Waterwolfs" thread,I'm sure his panel will be much more sophisticated than my backyard effort,but I had trouble inserting pictures into my PM to "Oly1".
Never a worry Ray, we all appreciate your knowledge around here :)

I did source new fuses (well new to me) that actually light up when the fuse goes so that its easy to find and replace them. I think that I'll stay with the Blue Sea fuse box and keep it safe...

Back