New VHF and mmsi

donnie d

I’m just going through the process of obtaining my mmsi for my boat with my newly installed fixed vhf.

I am unsure which to select: licensed or unlicensed? Is that referring to the boat or the user? Is that a differentiator between a commercial vessel and non-commercial?

a little help would be appreciated...first time going through this process.

thanks!

7.2.1 Ship station MMSI
To obtain a ship station MMSI, you must complete form AB. Select Not Licensed for a vessel that does not require a radio licence and that is fitted with only a VHF/DSC radio. Select Licensed for a vessel that requires a radio licence or is fitted with additional equipment.

"The National Maritime Information Database (NMID) is a dynamic database containing details (such as vessel/station name, vessel owner name, vessel tonnage, emergency contact name, address and telephone numbers, etc) of Maritime Mobile Service Identities or MMSIs assigned to Canadian vessels and coast stations by Industry Canada."

ya might need this... "Restricted Operators License"

IMG_0059.jpeg

1. I have a marine radio installed on my pleasure craft; do I require a Radio Operator’s Certificate in order to use it?
    The operation of a marine radio in Canada requires the possession of at least a Restricted Operator Certificate-Maritime (ROC-M).
The Maritime Radio course teaches emergency radio procedures and everyday operating techniques. Learn all about the uses of marine radios, choice of frequencies, operation, phonetic alphabet, procedural words and phrases, as well as Digital Selective Calling and the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System, (DSC/GMDSS). All mariners, including recreational boaters, will want to take advantage of the many features and capabilities of this innovative form “automatic” radio. Secure your lifeline. Be sure that you and your family take the Maritime Radio course. This complete package will prepare you for the Restricted Operator Certificate (Maritime) with DSC Endorsement exam which is included as part of this courses. To operate a maritime radio, you need the certificate. It's the law!

Although getting your ROC is required to operate a VHF radio it is not required to get your MMSI number. Ultimately if you are planning on hitting the little red button on your VHF then that is considered operating of a VHF radio. Apply for your MMSI and take the course as soon as you are able too.

And sorry donnie d this might be a bit of a high jack but I'll ask anyways. I'm not currently near my boat right now so I can't check on a few things in person. My question is.....if I currently have a VHF wired to my GPS for the DSC function and I have an MMSI number how do you go about installing a second VHF on the boat as a back up? I mean can you simply parallel the RX and TX to both radios or does that screw up the communication. Also with the communication being set up in the GPS (Baud rate etc.) does it effect that it's link to one radio with a set MMSI number and trying to output to 2 separate radios? I'm sure it would be more clear if I had the wiring in front of me but that's not an option at the moment. How has anyone else hooked up 2 VHF radios with DSC on their boats? I guess the second option could also be a non DSC radio as the 2nd one(if they make them) and the problem goes away but not a true back up.

I have two VHF radios installed on my boat, both with DSC and using the same MMSI number. Note that the MMSI isn't "shared" between the radios, only the GPS info from whatever device is providing that. Each radio will have its own MMSI, but it will be the same as its tied to your vessel and not your radio. In other words, enter the same MMSI number into each radio.

Not a problem getting the GPS info to both radios. Simply parallel the NMEA 0183 (I assume that's the network your using since you mention baud rate) output through one of those connectors for the tiny wires to both radios. I'll take a picture of mine when I'm next at the boat. Simpler solution would be to use NMEA 2K radios / network. I'm going through this right now as I just replaced an old MFD that outputted the GPS over NMEA 0183 to both VHFs, with a new MFD that only supports NMEA 2K. I'll probably have to go with a gateway to convert the data. But... thinking about adding AIS and replacing one or both radios with NMEA 2K compatible ones - vicious cycle once you start upgrading!

You can use a splitter so that both VHFs use the same antenna, although that is a compromise and defeats the purpose of the having a totally redundant back up. Best practice is to install a second antenna as well which is dedicated to the second radio.

Thanks for the feedback CB! I was a bit concerned with just putting the two in parallel since it's a communication wire but it sounds like it's a non issue. I will definitely be installing a second VHF antenna since the reason for the second radio is total redundancy. The radio is being shipped as we speak and I'll add it to my list of things to do when I'm able to make it to the boat. Thanks again.....

Back