New Vancouver Salt Thread: GAME ON!

M

Mortician

Fishing in Vancouver is definitely heating up.

Had to ditch that last thread...way too depressing.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Heard from a buddy that a local Charter firm--Bite's On-- hooked and landed a "high twenties/low thirties" from the Point Bell Buoy this morning @ 10:30am. No details on how deep.

Heard that another local pro guide out "fun fishing" found a 20 lber from the Slash early this afternoon,-- on 'Chovy.

Apparently there's MILES of bait to be found out there although it does get pushed around by the tide pretty good.

A local fella who ran to Thrasher found scratch in 6 hours of trolling except for a $225 dollar fuel expense---apparently to bait to speak of either.

What a nice day though, glassy calm all day and nothing but sunshine!

Could this be the year the bait hangs out around Vancouver?

THIS JUST IN. A LOCAL SPORTY BAGGED A 17 POUND WHITE AT POINT GREY at 630 on anchovies.

ME STOOPID for NOT GOING FISHING TODAY...

[V]

wow, I sure did not catch a thing this weekend. Are you sure we are talking about the same Vancouver??haha[:p]

Heard of another decent sized fish from the Bell Buoy this afternoon. Apparently another boat hit 4 good ones from "somewhere in the neighbourhood" as well.

Sounds like it has converted over to a BAIT fishery.

Bait, Bait, Bait. Lots of BAIT.[8D]

I fished sat cap to atkinson tunstell bay nothing not even a bite not very fun, dropped the prawn traps of bowen south end east side 270 feet of water nothing ,can any one give me any tips for getting a decent load of prawns

Major prawns and crabs ...BURP! [^][^][^]

I ran bait on one side, a spoon on the other.
Had 3 on the spoon, nothing on the bait.

Farny, the number one rule of fishing is find the fish. Same for prawns. :)

Just purchased some prawn traps. I want to try them this weekend. I was thinking of trying them around the QB marker in Vancouver harbour. Is it worth trying??? I have never fished for them before and dont know what to look for when looking to set the traps. Any advise ???

We were out on saturday too. Went out in front of the apartments in west van. bait on one side hoochie on the other...
nothing.
nice day though.

Yes I realize find the fish that I can do but to be honest I dont much about prawns but I want to get some before may1 when comercial opens I heard of thrasher is good what sort of bottom am i looking for?

Look at the base of a good drop off 250-400 is what i ushually go.I havent noticed a certain bottom being better maybe someone can give better info.

I've caught prawns off Gabriola too. Try 350' on the north side of the Flat Top Islands, not far from where you will see lots of other floats attached to prawn traps.

If you don't know where the fish are, follow people who do.You could also do a searh here for many past posts that addressed how and where (generally) to prawn. But notice that nobody is jumping up to tell exactly where to drop your traps? ;)

Indian Arm is another place for prawning if you're on the Vancouver side of the water.

Good luck. :)

I will also echo the sentiments if you are in Vancouver....head up into Howe Sound. Gabriola can be a bit of a run just for some prawns however if you are fishing and dropping traps they are around the inside/north of Gabriola North of Thrasher, but when the commercial guys open it gets raped.

Also as RM said; not a lot of people are going to be dying to give out their spots on a public internet forum. Many of us have learned from our mistakes of posting it up once.

To give you a rough idea of an area we try occasionally the southern half of Gambier is not bad. I don't know about over on the West side of Bowen but I would imagine it is not too bad either. A lot of it is hit and miss and you may have to play around. Try 1-1.5 hour soaks so you know they are either there or not there.

I respect what your saying about locations ,I am fishing from the vancouver side,like I said I droped the traps off south east side of bowen no luck 250 ft of water I have hard the prawning has been great latlely thats why I got traps,since I am out fishing almosty every week I thought I d enjoy some prawns,

I forgot to mention that I saw a couple of dolphins at the bell for the first time, little ones. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

I forgot to mention that I saw a couple of dolphins at the bell for the first time, little ones. [8D]

RM...I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same pair that has been around since last summer. Saw them a few times last fall and have seen them a couple of times this spring. Not saying they are definitely the same 2 but it would not surprise me if it is not the same pair that have become somewhat "resident".

quote:Originally posted by Pippen
RM...I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same pair that has been around since last summer. Saw them a few times last fall and have seen them a couple of times this spring. Not saying they are definitely the same 2 but it would not surprise me if it is not the same pair that have become somewhat "resident".
Now only if we could get them to eat seals ;)