New toy

Gypseas

Well, new to me 24ft tin can, my first I/O Mercruiser 496 Mag with BravoII drive.

Any of you sterndrive enthusiasts that are running this power?
The good the bad and the ugly. Any comments appreciated.
cheers

Couple of pics

9.jpg

20.jpg

12.jpg

You just told me about the boat on Tue night and now you own it.
Looks great.
Welcome to the world of gas consumption and the comforts of a closed cabin boat.
That boat must fly.

That's an awsome looking boat! Very unique. Congrats on the purchase.Can you show some interior layout pics if you have them?

Now that's a fishing machine! Awsome. Who's make is the boat? Kicker or no? How's the rear deck (fishing) space? Yeah some interior and such pics would be cool to see. Nice rig.

Congrats.

AHHHH the sound of thru hull exhaust you will love that sound!!!!! makes you be like tim the tool man arrrrrraaaaarrrrrrr LOL LOL

I've got a 496ci (8.1l) engine in my GM truck. Same block, I wonder? Great motor but she likes her gas! That's a good looking rig, for sure. Congrats.

Do yourself a favour -- go purchase a Mercmonitor for it now -- you'll thank me later!!! First off, it Optimizes the fuel economy by telling you the optimal RPM and trim setting (and you can also wire in your trim tabs if you get the NMEA-2000 adapter for them). Second, and most importantly, it will give you a textual display of most engine codes -- not just a warning horn or a "check engine" code, it will tell you the specific issue. Couple of weeks ago, I had a Throttle Position Sensor fail -- the MercMonitor told me in words, that the sensor had failed, picked one up that afternoon and had the boat running perfect again in less than 2 hours -- this thing has paid for itself many times over!!!

The other consideration I'd make -- you can swap out the bottom end of the Bravo II for a Bravo III. The dual props get you up faster and provide much better low speed control around the docks. They bolt right onto the same upper unit.

Great looking machine!!!

Great looking boat Gypseas. I'm totally jealous. The only thing I can see that it's missing is the Gun turrets! One Skookum looking' Machine.

Feel like we should be sending you wedding presents.
A beauty you will want to keep for a long time.

Just back from Cali with the boat, our 1/2ton was huffin an puffin up a couple of them hills but we made it.

Interior is quite rough and so is the exterior. 20yrs serving the boys in blue takes its toll on a boat. Nothing a bit of elbow grease shouldn't be able to take care of.

The "before" pics!

Cabin is pretty much for 2 maybe 4
IMG_8341-Copy.jpg

Future fold down bench for one perhaps?
IMG_8343.jpg

7x8 ft rear deck
IMG_8350.jpg

Cuddy
IMG_8346.jpg

Well you got a good canvas to work with a bit of love and wood she will be a beauty.
got a suggestion for you put in a flush toilet they are really cheap now. and simple to put in .
Hauling and emptying a porta potti is just fricken grosssssssssss do what Victoria does flush away!!!!!! LOL LOL

Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
install a bench seat in the cabin andget rid of the passenger single seat?? tackle storage beneath it??? sexy ;)

IMG_8367.jpg
Pulled the outdrive to find the gimbal ring worn out. Has any of you guys replaced or rebuilt the gimbal ring?
I am hoping some machine shop in Vic would be able to weld and machine to fit the steering /swivel pin on the ring assembly. Any suggestions for a machine shop around that could do that?

IMG_8370.jpg IMG_8371.jpg
Been busy with replacing the 5/8 floors with 3/4 treated. Will eventually get to cover them with vinyl. Cleaned up a bunch of wiring...

New color scheme.. in the near future
:D;)

red.jpg

Gypseas Nice new toy. She should serve you well. I’m not sure what you meant about replacing the sole with ¾ treated but if you meant pressure treated plywood you may want to research that a little more. My understanding is that you have two choices when it comes to replacing plywood in the floor. Exterior or marine grade plywood. Both should be coated with epoxy before install to prevent water from soaking in. The thinking against PT plywood is the chemicals can leach out and react with the aluminum and produce galvanic corrosion. Perhaps others will chime in with their ideas.
GLG

Pressure treated ply will react with galvenized products, not sure about aluminum though. We have had to go with stainless fasteners these days for use with treated products.

Back