New to the Forum.... questions about Ucleulet

Ukee is a great place to come fish and your boat is more than enough but always get a weather report for added safety. Radar is good to have especially if it's foggy, definitely get a radar deflector there pretty cheap so others can see you, if radar is not an option. You can also load the marine traffic app so at least you can see the big ships/freighters, you won't be able to see smaller sport boats with the app. Halibut fishing as a new out here just troll the bottom and they will take your salmon gear. If you want bigger halibut use a spreader & bait and fish the contours, if your out for a while you will figure everything out. No need for 600ft of anchor line I'd say the majority are caught between 100 - 260ft just depends on what time of year. For places to stay just google Ucluelet Vacation Rentals, Ucluelet Hotels etc and you will find many options. I would recommend booking soon as the summer months are getting pretty full accommodation wise. Moorage is available at the Government dock and you may think about touching base with the harbor master to make sure there's room but I don't think that will be an issue as there's always the option to raft. There are 2 fish processors Far West & Fishfull Thinking that can vac pack and flash freeze your catch as I'm not certain that many places will allow guests to process fish in there accommodations due to the potential stink. Have a great trip probably be your new go to fishing destination and if your travelling with the family there other activities such as surfing, trails, the National Park, shops, deli's, art galleries, restaurants and a grocery store. Ukee caters to all types of travelers.

I highly recommend Island West Resort and have been using them annually for the past 15 years. They have a clean motel, moorage and a nice fish cleaning facility. They also offer freezer space to keep your catch frozen while you are there. The other processing places charge you by the pound to process your fish and do not offer freezer space unless you have them process your catch. We will be there the entire month of July this year and will be more than happy to show you on the charts where the best spots are depending on your target species. When I first started fishing Ucluelet we had a 21 foot trophy and was able to get out most days. You can always fish inside Barkley Sound if the wind is blowing to hard so you will never be denied a day of fishing.

come stay at barclay sound lodge,, guides there will help ya get on them... fuel, food, lodging, and great people!! see ya there!! we got golf, pool table , great rooms and dining hall, pro fish packing at no extra cost!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I live in Pt Alberni, I fish out of Ukee for the majority of time I fish. Having said this, Barkley Sound (Kirby Pt, Swale Rk, King Edward Island, etc.) can be very hot in June for Springs. Keep this in mind if the fishing is slow offshore of Ukee.

A six pack of Lucky lager and a walk on the docks to chat with the charter skippers will get you tips on whats going on inshore and offshore. Plan to spend some money in Pioneer Boat works and they'll let you bring in your charts of the area and mark down all of the popular banks offshore: inside and outside South bank, adipose, Hyson, Starfish, Longbeach, Lighthouse, Big Bank, Rats Nose, etc.

For inside Barkley Sound, the Salmon University site does a pretty good job, with a pretty detailed overview of the main locations. Certainly doesn't cover all spots but more than enough to give you lots of options and get started learning the Sound.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/vis_barkley_sound.html

Fog usually isn't a problem in June like it is in late July and August but it can be. Has been very windy last few Junes, I'm hoping it's not this year as drifting the banks with bait on the bottom near edges and contours definitely yields a better grade of halibut than what you typically get on the troll targeting springs and hali. Offshore trolling our program is both balls in the mud then back up a couple of feet but dropping every so often to make sure you are close to the mud. Depending on action on bottom, or if marking bait or fish up in the column we may fish anywhere from 80-bottom with the second rigger. Inside the Sound, bait balls determine our depth but typical rigger depths are 80-150 in 100-200ft of water, though we will fish some tacks in tight to a few rocks, points and kelp beds. Coho seem to show up in big schools inside in June, there one week gone the next. Typically find them further out in more open water then you fish springs with depths from the surface down to 100ft. Look for jumpers and fish the tide lines you'll see. I typically don't use bait in Ukee. Flasher and hootchie on one side (octopus and needlefish in purple haze, glo army truck, glo green splatter back and a few others) and dummy flasher and spoon on other (coyotes, coho killers and kingfishers in 3.0 to 4.0 irish creme, green/glo, cop car glo, kitchen sink, etc). If one is slamming them we double up. Last year lots of squid inside so a hooch close to an army truck variant with brown, orange and glo was very good. Also be trying the Andrew P and Nogs Needle spoons this year.

That should give you a start. Beautiful place and great fishing!

Cheers!

Ukee

Wow!
Thanks everyone for all the info.... I plan on picking my dates before the weekend is out and booking something for sure... can't tell you how much we appreciate the insight.... Love the idea of the 6 pack on the dock idea... and I always make sure to spend money in the local tackle shop in exchange for info...
Our target is Hali for sure.... looking for stuff at 132.9 cms.... (if that rule applies out there).... hopefully we can find them...
Will update once we book and pick the dates.... Sooke has become somewhat boring to be honest... we are looking forward to it.
Thanks!
(And keep it coming if you have the info for us)
RJ

Nope halibut limit is same coast wide....If your used to just Sooke be a little more cautious weather is totally different animal out there... I personally wouldn't go offshore in small boat but thats my preference.... If I were you I would stay in Bamfield and just poke around the inshore areas until you get comfortable with area..

Wow!
Thanks for the info... really appreciate it.
We plan on picking our exact dates and booking something over the weekend.
Always plan on spending into the local tackle shop....
Sooke has become a bit boring to be honest.. and we are really after the Hali and Ling on this trip... although some incidental salmon would be great.
The old 6 pack on the dock routine.... thats a good one.!
Will let you all know the dates we choose... and keep the great info coming... sounds like lots of choices to accommodation.
Thanks again!
Great Forum!
RJ

So.... looks like we should get there June 6 or 7..... hopefully fish for at least three solid days... then all goes well come back again on June 22nd..

Next question..... anyone know of a good secure place to leave a boat for a week or two in Ukee between trips?
It would save us 500 bucks on the ferry not hauling the boat back and forth the extra time?

Also wondering about pawning and crabbing in June?

thanks in advance!

leave it at barclay sound lodge after your first stay, we can give you a lift to toqart....

crabs you can find right around the corner from the lodge..

prawnin gets a lil tougher after the commies are done, but still find some...

Hi again..... researching this still.... getting excited to try a new area.... looks like the offshore banks are the place to produce the nice Hali...
How far are they? How long does it take to get there?
Will the Trophy Pro with the V6 and a kicker be enough boat out there?
Thanks!

Your 21.5 Trophy should be enough boat to get out to lighthouse and south bank with little difficulty. As with any boat you will need to watch the wind and fog. On clear calm days you should be ok to hit the south west corner and Big banks. I have added some hot spot information for you from previous posts. These should get you in the general areas for starters.

Austin Island/Barkley Sound/Salmon/N48 51.569 W125 18.616
Cree Island/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Coho/N48 51.103 W125 19.517
Great Bear - Alley Rocks/Barkley Sound/Chinook/N48 53.635 W125 26.830
Kirby Point /Barkley Sound/Chinook, Sockeye/N48 50.923 W125 12.578
Pachena Point/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Halibut/N48 42.041 W125 06.956
Rats Nose/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 35.500 W125 39.300
Swale Rock/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Sockeye/N48 55.443 W125 13.142
Barttlet Channel/Tofino/Chinook, Coho, Crab/N49 14.488 W126 04.000
Barttlet Island/Tofino/Chinook, Coho, Crab/N49 12.893 W126 06.029
Blunden/Tofino/Chinook/N49 10.789 W126 04.533
Cleland Island/Tofino/Chinook, Coho/N49 10.069 W126 05.625
Tofino/Crab/N49 01.971 W125 49.226
Tofino/Halibut/N49 08.262 W126 08.918
Portland Point/Tofino/Chinook, Coho/N49 03.731 W125 50.879
Tofino/Crab/N49 00.282 W125 49.114
7 Mile/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 44.500 W125 16.800
Big Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 38.532 W125 46.779
Eagles Nest/Ucluelet/Chinook/N48 57.755 W125 36.371
Outside South Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 48.907 W125 38.533
South Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 50.344 W125 34.938
Wya Point/Ucluelet/Chinook/N48 58.424 W125 37.025

Getting all prepped for our trip!!! June 6th!
I have the newest Lowrance HDS8....... been shopping for the radar add on.... does everyone think its is mandatory to have?
The GPS is very accurate.....
Booked in at Whiskey Lodge for this trip.... looking forward to the Ukee experience

Back